Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's come to an understanding before I ask my question.....

The AR platform is a very good home defense weapon. To that point, I guess I don't understand why some drop 24x scopes on the gun.

If we found ourselves in a horrible situation here in the ole USA, be it Civil War 2, or an invasion from an outside power.... how would you want your AR outfitted for sights? Let's not assume you own an AR.... Let's just be hypothetical.... that if you owned an AR....

For me, I am thinking someone would want their gun able to quickly engage in close quarters. Urban combat certainly isn't a place for a 24x scope, unless you are on a rooftop, shooting across town.

I wonder if open sites are the best. I wonder which are best and the most rugged?

·
Registered
238 Posts
For others such as myself that have more than one AR, I set mine up differently for different roles. I have a couple that have just iron sights, a few that have Red Dots and Irons, and a few that have scopes with and without back up iron sights. I have a 5-25x50 scope on my AR.308 and a 6-24x50 scope on my AR in 6.5 Grendel. Both are capable long distance rifles and set up just for that role. I have AR pistols, carbines and rifles.
If I only had one AR it would be with a Red Dot as a primary with iron back up sights.

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
AR's can be used for more than home defense & not everyone buys one for the Z-PAW. Lots of people around here use them for varmint hunting. I had one set up that way as well, a Les Baer varmint model. That was 1/4MOA rifle all day long & I'd smoke prairie dogs & gophers well over 200 yards away & that was with a only a 4-16X scope.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Vortex 1-4X

Matech rear flip-up iron sight and a generic flip up front sight.

But.....a couple criticisms of your premise.

I wouldn't want to be in urban combat. If that is where I was went it started, I would leave.

If I had to be....sniping from the rooftops is exactly where I would want to be if I had any choice in the matter.

Close range fighting is a great way to get yourself killed by bad luck and reduces most of the advantages a prepper could have over your regular thug, raider, etc.

If I really didn't want magnification....I would go with a red dot and flip up sights. Red dots have completely replaced irons for me. Way too many advantages to ignore.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,437 Posts
Another consideration is how is your eyesight?

older, eyes with less adaptive vision, might do better with more scope.

backup iron sights (folding) are of course a good idea if someone is shooting back.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
I love shooting guns and I have come to a realization over the years

My eyes suck I am right handed and left eye dominant and I have awful astigmatism.

That being said I need optics to fire accurately and I have found a few solutions.

Hunting: High powered large objective lens scopes are wonderful and my freezer full of deer is testament to that.

Mid range: The Vortex Strike Eagle (Gen I) with the hooded reticle helps me focus on my target

Close: 1x prism scopes are my red dots, the Vortex Spitfire AR is my favorite by far with the DRT rings. I am waiting on a Bushnell Lil P for my shotgun.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,186 Posts
I have awful astigmatism.
Before I had Lazik done I could not use a red dot optic. The dot looked like a fuzzy X. Perhaps the cause of my red dot bias. After the correction the dot is not perfect but it is usable. I still prefer a LPVO over the red dot.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you have the chance, get out and get your hands on the different ones you are interested in. I have aimpoints, trijicons and one eotech. Each one has strengths and weaknesses and you want to find the one that meets your needs and works best for you.

There are inexpensive quality optics - you'll need to do some homework to figure those out. Otherwise... buy once, cry once. I also recommend getting optics that have NV capability in case you ever get into that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like rugged ACOGS for close to medium range. I think it's hard for that one does all sight, but I think the ACOG is as close as it gets. Horshoe reticle is my favorite.

I run cheaper scopes on my AR's though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had PRK done but still have a stigmatism... red dots suck for me. I see a bunch of dots still in some of my illuminated scopes but not to the extent I would w/ a red dot. I shot a buddies AR pistol that has a PA Cyclops 1x Prism on it... I have that same sight on my 14.7" p/w AR and its great for close range... really awesome on the pistol. My favorite setup is a 1-4 lvpo... I also had a 2.5x-10x on my 18" ar that worked pretty well but a heavy barrel plus a moderately heavy scope really made that 556 feel like a 308.. on my 308 I have a 6-24 but that is a range toy and for long range... not sure of weight but its a pig.

My preference is lvpo, then prism (stigmatism)... my advice is to go to Cabelas and try out a bunch.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I forgot to add, range practice to make shooting almost instinctive so there is less dependence on sights. Now for the confession, I have not been shooting in ages.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
My favorites.
Primary Arms ACSS in 2.5X. Etched reticle, no batteries required to function in daylight. On the truck gun.
Nikon 3X P-223. Point and shoot to 300 meters.

BSA Sweet 223 6-18. Easy elevation for range, it’s on my varmint gun.
Bushnell AR optics 4-18x for the 6.5, and a Nikon 4-12X on the .308. Hunting and targets.

Several others with red dots. A solar powered Holosun on a carbine, a Sig Romeo5 on the 300 BO, and some cheaper stuff on some pistols, along with BUIS on several.

My old eyes prefer magnification. Batteries suck. But red dots work great, at the right ranges.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts