Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I depend on and love Glocks, but I am interested in the Sig Sauer P226...specifically a 9mm

Anyone know anything about Sig

They also have a very nice lineup of 1911 .45 cals. I know there was a 1911 thread on here somewhere.

Anyone know of their 1911 dependability compared to other companies (Kimber,Colt, Taurs,etc.)

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have never shot the p226. I have owned a p232 in the past and only got rid of it because I gave it to another family member. I never had one problem with the gun. I can also say that it was impeccably well made. Every piece felt like it was quality. All the details were finished. You can tell the moment you hold one that it was well made. It was so well balanced also. A pleasure to shoot. Same goes for the other Sig models I have shot.

I would certainly look for Sig again if I wanted another semi-auto. It costs a little more, but you can see where it goes in design and product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMHO Sigs are the finest and most reliable out of the box pistol you can buy. Puting custom 1911s aside as they are much more expensive than the already pricey sigs and the factory 1911s tend to be finicy. I own many Sigs in .45 ACP, 40S&W, and 9mm. However I do not own a 226 as I find it to be too large a pistol for such a small round( if you elect to buy it in 9mm). IMHO the finest 9mm Sig and possibly the finest of all makes is the P228. It is a slightly compact version of the P226. It is issue to certain military units as well NCIS agents as the M11.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMHO Sigs are the finest and most reliable out of the box pistol you can buy. Puting custom 1911s aside as they are much more expensive than the already pricey sigs and the factory 1911s tend to be finicy. I own many Sigs in .45 ACP, 40S&W, and 9mm. However I do not own a 226 as I find it to be too large a pistol for such a small round( if you elect to buy it in 9mm). IMHO the finest 9mm Sig and possibly the finest of all makes is the P228. It is a slightly compact version of the P226. It is issue to certain military units as well NCIS agents as the M11.

+1, well said.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I have shot Sig226 in 9mm and as a known Glockaholic can tell you that given a choice at the range or for home defense between Glock 17 and Sig226 the latter would be my choice w/o hesitation. I just shoot with the Sig so much better. I mean with a Glock I have to make an effort and practice a lot to be profficient. That is not the case with Sig226. It's just natural I guess.

Having said that, a Glock, would be my choice for carry, competition and a proverbial SHTF situation.

·
cowardly survivalist
195 Posts
I bought a SIG-Sauer P220 .45 and P226 9mm back in the mid 1980s as a pair, which wasn't long after the P226 came out I believe. For the 4 years I spent in college (and maybe a couple afterward) these two guns (and a couple of revolvers) were pretty much my entire pistol arsenal, I had sold all my others. While in college I worked at Midway Arms, and had access to dirt cheap reloading supplies and shot these almost daily from my back porch!! 20,000 rounds in just those 4 years is a conservative estimate for the 2 SIGs.

Both guns have been exceptionally reliable in my 25 year ownership, and exceptionally accurate in comparison to others I've owned in the same calibers since. Both guns are also true 100 yard pistols, and will do their part to place rounds again and again onto a plate sized target at that range... SIG pistols do an amazing job of inspiring confidence in the people firing them, and making them look VERY GOOD to anyone watching them!

Now for the few (and relatively minor) "negatives"... I don't particularly like the 9x19 chambering in a fullsize gun, like ThePatriot mentioned, and because of this I've never carried the P226 as a CCW. Both the 220 and the 226 are LARGE guns, put a 1911 down beside either and their chunkyness and physical size are very apparent. The 1911 looks like a thoroughbred beside their chunky fatness... and people with small hands may have issues gripping the thick butt of the P226...

Like at least one other mentioned, check out the SIG-Sauer P228 in 9mm as an alternative. The P229, P225, and P239 are all also available in 9x19, but of the group the P228 is my favorite in 9x19. The P228 is slightly smaller in length and height, with some smoothed edges where the 226 is squared. P226 mags function from the P228. The P228 is easier for small hands to hang onto in my opinion as well. Since purchasing my P228 in the late 90s I have shot my 226 less and less.

Other options for you in a fullsize/midsize doubleaction 9mm might be CZ-75/P06 family, or one of the H&K USP/P2000 variations. I like the CZ-75 and USP-C series guns due to their control/function similarity to the 1911, although I went with .357sig/.40/.45 for those instead of 9mm :)

I attached 2 basic pics to this, my P226 and P228 so you can see the shape/size difference hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess I am a "glockoholic" LOL.

I figured the Sig Sauer 1911's would be expensive, but I didn't know if they would be "finicky" (sp?).

I will look into the p228 as well.

THanks all.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Sig.
One of the few handguns (brands) I'd carry without shooting out of the box.
And that says a lot.

Complaints? Doesn't fit my hand as well as some, the upper grip area abrades my thumb knuckle.
And the price.

Positives? Pretty much everything else. Accurate, reliable, not a Glock.
I'm actually thinking of regaining a 220 I used to own.

Out of a 226, the 9mm is utterly tame to fire.

Finicky? Not a one that's crossed my path yet, and that's a considerable number over the years.

One "issue" with the old-models, with the separate breechblock, the 2 roll pins could crack causing misfires (light hits). It's a known issue in the Sig community and the fix is cheap and easy, replace the pins. $8 in roll pins and you have a perfect weapon again. I've picked up a couple of Sig's this way that were misbehaving and in 20 minutes including a full cleaning had a perfectly good weapon again.

As an aside, I prefer the old models, they're lighter.

As far as breakage, I only remember one catastrophic case where an FBI agent was shooting and his groups went into the toilet. Upon inspection of the weapon, an entire frame rail had broken off and remained in the weapon. It kept going but wasn't accurate at all after that.
Good enough for me.

That and I don't like plastic.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Complaints? Doesn't fit my hand as well as some, the upper grip area abrades my thumb knuckle.
I had the same problem with my P226R ... a quick (and cheap) upgrade to Hogue grips solved the problem.

I have absolutely no complaints about the P226. I own 3 of them, and trust my life to them every day.

Great weapons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I own four sigs total, P226 9mm, P250 9mm, P238 .380, and the GSR Revolution 1911 stainless .45 acp.

All are great fantastic firearms, all have 100% reliablilty records with the exception of the P238 (2 ftf's in 300 rnds).

As far as the 1911, it is a flawless runner, and a true tack driver. It comes factory with night sights, match trigger, match barrel, and much more. I have never experienced a failure out of the 500-800 rnds put thru it.

A little FYI, it (1911) is not a true Browning design. Sig put their own personal touch and engineering into this firearm (external extractor, guide rod, internal trigger safety). This is a turn off to some 1911 enthusiasts. I personally don't care. The gun looks beautiful and runs like a champ. The slide is slightly thicker than most other 1911's. The firearm fits fine in all molded leather hostlers, however it fits too tightly in molder kydex holsters.

Lifetime warranty, and excellent resale value.

:thumb:
J

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Sig.
One of the few handguns (brands) I'd carry without shooting out of the box.
And that says a lot.

And the price.

Positives? Pretty much everything else. Accurate, reliable, not a Glock.

That and I don't like plastic.
The only semi auto that I would consider buying in the smaller calibres <10mm...

They do come now with spacers for the hand grip...and they aren't a Glock--well said sir!

Give some thought to the P250 Compact...

·
Registered
770 Posts
+1 for the Sig P220. I agree that they are probably the best "out of the box" gun you can buy. I also like the CZs for the same reason, but that's another thread.:rolleyes:

Mike

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
IMo, if yer gonna buy a Sig, ya might as well buy a Glock........50% of the price and the same stuff.......too clunky.......this is from a devout 1911 guy( who's owned Sigs and Glocks). ymmv.

·
cowardly survivalist
195 Posts
Exeter, New Hampshire, US of A

so they can comply with requirements to sell to the US Government......
My P239 and P229 were made in the USA, and I've heard the 1911 series was American as well, but I wasn't aware the rest were made here... good news if that is true!

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
I own a Sig 556, a Mosquito, and a Sig Pro 2022 9mm...

All great guns - the Sig pro has the nicest trigger of any gun I have ever owned.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had a 229 and it did not feel the most comfortable in my hand, however when I shot it the groups were very good. So be sure and shoot one if you can before you make a decision. First impressions are not the final word on how well a gun will work for you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts