Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing one in the coming months. Anybody own/ have any experience with one? It will be used for range time/home protection.

Advice/info would be appreciated.

-Jay

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
After buying one I sold all but 1 of my 4 AR15s... AK47 reliability with the .223 round all on a AR-ish platform... Its AWESOME!!! I just bought another one last week.

Its now my main battle rifle

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
I love mine and like Hydra would grab it long before any of my AR's.

I'm getting ready to change the trigger guard and grip on it but I'll post a pic for you after that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats good to hear hydra.....Thats the main reason why I was considering it. The dependability on a AR type platform. Yea Doberman definitely would like to see some pics with new grip.

Im considering the Sig SWAT...I like the Rails for accessories.

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Being in NY, I have the tamed SIG SCM, but I love it!. Shoots about 2 MOA at 100 with surplus ball ammo. I have Hornaday TAP for it but haven't tried shooting for groups yet. Super reliable, no jams, disassembly is a snap when you get the hang of it. I am a big fan of the trigger too.

I would not get the SIG SWAT model. I've heard the factory rail handguard isnt great. Right now I am saving for a Samson rail, but Troy industries makes a rail too. They are pricey, but they replace the top rail and handguard as a single unit.

Also, I paid 1568 out the door for my SIG, post election, in NY.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Picked up one and played with it at the gun shop the other day. Almost makes me want to dump some of my AR stuff and buy one. The price is why I said ALMOST.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
I have the swat and changed the hand guard to the classic. I didn't like the way the SWAT hand guard felt or looked.

Once everything gets here I'll post a pic for you.

here is what it looks like now with the classic hand guard, samson front sight and ARMS rear flip sight, and ACOG.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
If you are going in for a SIG you should check this out.
Not that I am an advocate of trading in but you get the idea.

Cash for klunker guns...

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/klunker.aspx

Purchase a new SIG SAUER® P220®, P226®, P229®, 1911, SIG556 pistol, or SIG556 rifle from your dealer’s inventory from September 7th through November 30th, 2009, and SIG SAUER will give you $200.00 for your old KLUNKER* pistol or revolver.

To receive your $200.00 payment, simply send your old KLUNKER* with a copy of your form 4473 and proof of purchase of your new Classic pistol (no later than Friday, December 4, 2009) to:

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
As with most Sig things its over priced. I think it has some good features but i wating for the magpul masada...personaly i hate the Sig 556. I've never shot one but after my touchy feely session i didnt want to. It ratteled worse than any WASR and was just a unweildy.

you loss though. I'm not wasting the money.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
i actually have the SIG 5.56 poster from the american rifleman on my wall.... i got to handle one and it didnt really feel like an AR to me... i liked it, but i would never buy one.

the only down side is it felt weird, not like an AR, like... i dont know, but it was ok

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
As with most Sig things its over priced. I think it has some good features but i wating for the magpul masada...personaly i hate the Sig 556. I've never shot one but after my touchy feely session i didnt want to. It ratteled worse than any WASR and was just a unweildy.

you loss though. I'm not wasting the money.

Not to argue, but good luck with that. The magpul masada is now going to be the Bushmaster ACR since magpul has sold Bushmaster the rights to it. That project has been in development for going on 3 years and still nothing on the market. You can also rest assured that, like the FN SCAR, when the ACR does finally hit the market it will cost you atleast twice what a Sig 556 does. The MSRP on the ACR will probably be around $3000 and will retail for $4-7,000 just like the SCAR did.

Bushmaster said they would have the ACR on the market for civilians in 2008... well we are quickly approaching 2010 and still no light at the end of the tunnel for the release of the ACR.

The Robinson XCR is a decent alternative.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. My buddy picked up a CT legal version (SCM) a few months back and is trying to sell it (hes headed for the Airforce).

He offered it to me for 1400.00 with 2 extra mags 600 rounds a red dot sight and sling. I hate the solid stock, no flash suppressor.

I am moving for Louisiana in a few weeks. Where I planned on picking up a SWAT version. I think by adding a flash sup/new stock I would be better off just buying a new one.

I appreciate everyone's input

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
Quick question for you 556 owners:

I know the buttstock is adjustable and folding.......but does the stock adjust for length of pull as quickly and easily as an M4 type stock?

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
great gun, but 3 things I don't like. 1. it's front heavy. 2. the price. 3. lack of easily obtainable spare parts.

Reactions: FrightenedWolfe

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Quick question for you 556 owners:

I know the buttstock is adjustable and folding.......but does the stock adjust for length of pull as quickly and easily as an M4 type stock?
yes, it’s basically the same design. The major turnoffs I see are #1 the price and it is front heavy, at least with the AR you can fix that. I also do like the way the whole gun feels, fronts bulky the pistol grips bulky and it just doesn’t 'fit' me. Maybe with a little range time a few hundred off the price I would consider it but I don’t see any advantages to compensate for the negatives.

Also spare parts are pretty much non-existent. Mags aren’t that expensive but it’s not likely you'll find any laying around. I like to keep in common, you WILL run out of ammo, and I’m willing to bet it'll be at the most in-opportunistic time.

·
Banned
3,687 Posts
great gun, but 3 things I don't like. 1. it's front heavy. 2. the price. 3. lack of easily obtainable spare parts.
i have one and i do love it, also my wife shoots it very well,so it is easy to use . i do how ever agree with kahn as it is front heavyand it is alot of money. but it is a very well made weapon. mine does not have a foldable stock ,just the standard straight adjustable stock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts