Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion of this weapon? I saw it lists for $2k. i saw a gun store that has it for sale for around $1100. is it a good gun?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
In my experience (I owned one), no. Mine was so poorly made and unreliable I had my dealer take it back. It is no where near the quality of an actual Swiss made 550. Your money would be better spent on a good AR.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience (I owned one), no. Mine was so poorly made and unreliable I had my dealer take it back. It is no where near the quality of an actual Swiss made 550. Your money would be better spent on a good AR.
can you elaborate on what was wrong with the weapon?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it an ammo problem or functionaliy problem or both. i did notice where the guy used various ammo however....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The rifle has functional issues. Sig may have corrected them by now, but the problems were wide spread. It's not an ammo issue when every other rifle you own fires the same ammo without issue. It's not like some off-brand ammo either.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
People that take their rifles seriously and train with them hard have turned their backs on the Sig 556 for the most part. If you hit the hardcore gun forums (check out M4Carbine.net as an example) they have mounds of evidence showing how poorly the rifles are made. I've spoken to people inside Sig that admit the rifle has bugs and are PO'ed with management because they refuse to address the problems.

Even in my videos (second one) I show you how poorly the stocks are made. They literally fall apart, even when brand new. The stock coming apart is nothing new, Sig has sold these rifles with this same problem now for a couple of years. They've never bothered to fix it.

I wanted to love the rifle, I was first in line when they hit the streets. But I don't make concessions with firearms. If there's a problem, I don't ignore it - I address it.

If you want a range toy, the 556 will likely work ok for you. It's an expensive range toy, but to each their own. If you want a rifle you can trust your life to, the 556 probably isn't your best choice. I wouldn't buy a poorly constructed replica of a world class rifle (Sig 550/551) for that type of work, and that's all the Sig 556 is - a cheaply made knock-off of the real rifle.

It's a shame. I've wanted a Sig 550 for many-many years.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info cause i was probably going to get it at my dealer for $1100. but i want one that i can trust with my life. so now, can we take this in a new direction and can you give me your thoughts on what ar-15 you would trust your life with. and i know, there are a ton of threads with people asking what gun is the best. but i'm coming strickly to your knowledge and experinece personally. thanks in advance...

·
Joshua 24:14-15
980 Posts
I also appreciate the information that Gladius shares. I'll share the brands I've found to be good for me, for what it's worth.

Lots of different good AR brands. I'll list the brands I've owned that I trust. There are other good brands, these are just the ones I have or have owned that I would suggest.

I shoot a lot for fun and personal protection type training and run through carbine courses and hunt with my ARs and some 3 gun. The ones I'm listing lean to the personal protection side. I tend to go that way and then use them for other uses, but I do have a build just for hunting that is different (as an example).

Colt - Still one of my favorites and has seen lots of use
BCM - A little heavier than the Colt I'm speaking about but has been good
DD - Have had a few. One went to a family member who couldn't live without it

I also have a Spikes that has a lot of rounds through it that has been very good to me. Not everyone likes Spikes or recommends them like the 3 I listed above, but mine has been good to me.

Here are some links with good reading material. Not everyone likes the information provided at these links, but I find it relative to your question. So, you may or may not enjoy these links, but here they are in case you want to check them out.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I can't really add anything to joshua79109's recommendations, I agree.

I've personally owned Colt AR's for decades and prefer them for no other reason than I've become comfortable with the brand.

I do have a Daniels Defense rifle sitting here and it's every bit as good, perhaps even a little better, as the Colt's I own. You certainly can't go wrong with Colt, DD or BCM.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As for AR's-LMT,DD,Colt ect...Buy a quality mil-spec gun to begin with,you'll be glad you did.Do yourself a favor and avoid the "budget" brands ;).

·
Registered
513 Posts
I own 2. The core weapon design is very robust (think AK). Accuracy is surprisingly as good as an AR. Mine are close to inch guns.

The bad part is the furniture, sights, finish all marginal.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Stay away from sites like m4carbine.net. Full of fan boy children.
My top choices are with Colt, LMT. Similar quality are PSA (Palmetto State Armory and probably the best deal ) cold forged version, DD, BCM, Stag (value added package) and Spikes (cold forged version). As far as others, I have a newer Bushmaster M4 that I would have no problem using anywhere or anytime. Any quality AR is fine. I think PSA is the best DEAL on a TOP spec quality AR.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My top choices are with Colt, LMT. Similar quality are PSA (Palmetto State Armory and probably the best deal ) cold forged version, DD, BCM, Stag (value added package) and Spikes (cold forged version). As far as others, I have a newer Bushmaster M4 that I would have no problem using anywhere or anytime. Any quality AR is fine. I think PSA is the best DEAL on a TOP spec quality AR.
I'd say stay away ar15.com,now that's FULLof fanboy kids ;).M4C's a pretty damn good site.Lot's of very good info and a low tolerance for BS!

·
Registered
364 Posts
You can get a great Daniels defense ar for about the same price if you shop around and will be better in the long run in terms of reliability and a well balanced rifle.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Every site is full of fanboys to some degree. M4Carbine.net is also one of the more professional sites out there that has lots of industry professionals, LEO's, military types, trainers and manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts