Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a couple 556's but have been questioning it as a viable go to gun since I never ever see it mentioned in any threads. What do you folks think about it as a go to option. Mine have never malfunctioned but then again I'm not in a survival situation and baby the heck out of all my firearms. Please give me you opinions. If its not then I'm going to get a sgl 21

·
Registered
96 Posts
I second the AK vote. I have an AR, and an AK. I've put $1000 into buying the AR, and $300 in "upgrades." I still prefer my $500 AK. My AK has never let me down, ever. Sure it's a little heavier. But it is the most reliable semiauto firearm I own. And the ammo is SO much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
Hi, I have a couple 556's but have been questioning it as a viable go to gun since I never ever see it mentioned in any threads. What do you folks think about it as a go to option. Mine have never malfunctioned but then again I'm not in a survival situation and baby the heck out of all my firearms. Please give me you opinions. If its not then I'm going to get a sgl 21
well you use it, seems your allready sold on the platform perhaps you should be telling us why the sig556 is the go to gun for survival. i for one would enjoy your take on it how do they handle the various types pf 556 available, best magazines, your experiences with it and so on.

got pics?

:D:

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Platform's too new, not enough aftermarket support, not enough guns in circulation.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I havent heard much of anything in negative terms of reliability. Ive heard they are a little front heavy/unbalanced, but that is subjective to the comfort level of the shooter.

If I had the ability to own one (only sig SCM is CT legal and too expensive for what it offers) I would, and it would probably be my go to gun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My buddy has one and I have shot it several times. He has never had a problem with it and loves it. From the times that I have shot it I have found it to be very reliable and accurate. It is a little front heavy but you get used to it. Bottom line is you already own it and like it.....sounds like it is a great go to gun to me.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
I havent heard much of anything in negative terms of reliability. Ive heard they are a little front heavy/unbalanced, but that is subjective to the comfort level of the shooter.

If I had the ability to own one (only sig SCM is CT legal and too expensive for what it offers) I would, and it would probably be my go to gun.
Shot one in March this year and it was crap. The magazines we used were running fine in an AR, so I don't blame it on the magazines. The rifle just did not feel like I would expect for a service rifle. It was toy-ish.

Besides the personal experience you can find bad reviews all over youtube and forums. Just don't look in Sig forums, where they put lipstick on the pig.

The history of the 556 was the following:

550, 551, 552 were to expensive, not only the rifles itself, also magazines. So the 556 was produced for the US market, accepting AR 15 magazines. A fast and cheap produced rifle...tailored for the US market where quality guns are a niche product...so you get what you pay for.

If you want the real deal get over it and buy a 550, 551 or 552. Then you have a reliable gun, which has been proven itself many times. Or get a 516, basically a real piston AR and not a bastard like the 556.

But be careful, buy after test firing as long as there is SIG USA on it. Otherwise you could buy some unreliable crap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm on my phone. Son spilled soda on the laptop so I can't upload any pics yet. I have them on Facebook if you would like to see them friend request me. Facebook.com/cjmorgan00. The pros of the 556 to me are AK style operating system, accepts the abundent AR magazine's, folding stock, AR accuracy, patrol model is well balanced, eats cheap wolf, golden tiger ammo no problem, AR style safety, bolt hold open. Cons AR saftey isn't as easy to actuate as on ar, regular 556 is too front heavy (why I got the patrol, also have original) it is heavier than AR, don't like the plastic hand guards but haven't had any problems and last it hasn't been in any real conflicts I know of for a good reliability assessment

I've put tula 223, wolf, xm193, and golden tiger through them without any problems
there are a ton of after market accessories for it. I bought the mi folding front sight and magpul rear but haven't put them on. I'm thinking of getting the Samson rail. Basically I'm concerned with reliability in a scenario and I never see them talked about online. I think the concerns with qc are moot. I've never seen a bad one and both mine are top notch. I hate second guessing myself on this but started getting concerned because this is the survival forum and I'm new to it and haven't seen it brought up

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
I'm on my phone. Son spilled soda on the laptop so I can't upload any pics yet. I have them on Facebook if you would like to see them friend request me. Facebook.com/cjmorgan00. The pros of the 556 to me are AK style operating system, accepts the abundent AR magazine's, folding stock, AR accuracy, patrol model is well balanced, eats cheap wolf, golden tiger ammo no problem, AR style safety, bolt hold open. Cons AR saftey isn't as easy to actuate as on ar, regular 556 is too front heavy (why I got the patrol, also have original) it is heavier than AR, don't like the plastic hand guards but haven't had any problems and last it hasn't been in any real conflicts I know of for a good reliability assessment

I've put tula 223, wolf, xm193, and golden tiger through them without any problems
there are a ton of after market accessories for it. I bought the mi folding front sight and magpul rear but haven't put them on. I'm thinking of getting the Samson rail. Basically I'm concerned with reliability in a scenario and I never see them talked about online. I think the concerns with qc are moot. I've never seen a bad one and both mine are top notch. I hate second guessing myself on this but started getting concerned because this is the survival forum and I'm new to it and haven't seen it brought up
well thanks for bringing it up!
survivalism is about preserving options, so as far as firearms are concerned what we all use is relative to our individual situations and prepping.
we all write about our experiences with the various firearms we use and take the critique from those who's trouble is thinking out of the box, mainly the AK/AR/M1A purist's..:D:....with that said i see nothing wrong with your choices in fact i was glad to read the rifles will eat anything you feed them, that there were no QC problems with your experience and that you are enjoying your rifles.
IMO too much emphesis is put into ''must be battleproven'' were choice is concerned it leaves out viable rifles like your sig556 and my armalite ar-10 and others that are perfectly qualified firearms for the survivalist.

dont say anything but,
i have been secretly looking at the Sigs myself for a purchase after the first of the year. :taped:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had one and liked it a lot. It was reliable and rugged, and just a little less accurate than your average AR. It was a bit heavy for a 5.56. I liked the stock that a lot of people complain about; the whole thing felt solid. I gave it to my son for some reason.

I think it would be a decent survival rifle, certainly better than a louzy AK.:D:

·
Paladin of the Midwest
682 Posts
If you have a few, then you have spare parts if needed. Go with it, even AK's break - I've seen it, and to defend my brother he is anal about maintaining his fire arms.

This is something you already have, why go out and buy something new? Go with it and if you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket buy ammo or a good water filter. Oh a sling may come in handy also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sig 556 Patrol

I have had good experience with newer SIG 556 Patrol. (2011) Yes, as a professional field medic I have used most varients of the AR platform. Gas piston systems rarely fail and will last longer. For a quick covert car carry the Sig 556 patrol will easily fit 'incognito' with the side folding stock into a 'run of the mill' tennis racquet bag! Will shoot easily available .223 and 5.56 NATO ammo. Happily eats all ammo from cheap Wolf .223, Surplus 5.56 to hot 77 grain 5.56 target loads!

The weapon platform has been bad mouthed for some time from earlier models. This is important because it is no secret that SIG had some QC issues in the past. Those, coupled with the character assasination conducted by the M4 mafia caused many to overlook the SIG rifles. The rifles of today are a totally different breed of cat and are poised to completely overtake the US rifle market in all areas. Take the new 556R... A true Swiss AK-47 with flawless performance.

I have had over a year and 3000 plus rounds shot on my Sig 556 Sauer Patrol ( 2011) with no mechanical failures or issues. The weapon has performed flawlessly and it is one of the finest AR platforms that I have ever shot. That being said there were a few issues that needed to be addressed. The typical complaints that other SIG 556 gun owners have noted have been successfully addressed:

1.) Loose folding stock
2.) Poor metal back up sights
3.) Loose and wobbly foregrip
4.) Poor grip ergonomics
and
5.) Trigger (TBD)

ITEMS ADDED TO THE REBUILD TO MAKE MY PERFECT RIFLE:

DDLES Stock adapter w/ Magpul CTR Stock and 1/2" Magpul 326 cheek riser.
KZ Sig Sauer 556 Pistol Rail w/ Kwikguard rail covers.
Tapco Intrafuse AR End Plate Sling Adaptor.
Midwest Industries Front Flip Down Rifle Sight. MI-556-FFS.
MBUS Gen 2 Rear Flip Down Rifle Sight.
Bushnell TRS-25 Trophy 1x25 Red Dot Scope on 1/2" riser.
(Optics to be upgraded to Aimpoint CompM3 when I can afford it!)
Manticore Arms Gen2 Scorpion grip with Sage trigger guard.

Gun was purchased second hand for $900. If you are to buy one be sure to get one with a 'born on date' after Aug. of 2010.
Yes, these additional upgrades cost about an additional $500, but I feel it was worth every penny.

I LOVE MY SIG 556.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts