Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems we are on a never ending cycle of AR vs AK. Ask any simple question about either and it turns a good post into a should have bought an AK should have bought an AR. We all made weapons choices based on our wants and needs and our belief in future events. I like them both heck I'm on the fence with many weapons platforms. I own a Glock .45 but carry a Ruger LCP more. I could argue the merits of both all day but I'm me and if I made a bad decision I am the one that has to pay the price. I am glad that you choose to arm yourself and made the decision to at least try. Enough of the endless pointless arguing.

·
Professional Geologist.
1,794 Posts
It seems we are on a never ending cycle of AR vs AK. Ask any simple question about either and it turns a good post into a should have bought an AK should have bought an AR. We all made weapons choices based on our wants and needs and our belief in future events. I like them both heck I'm on the fence with many weapons platforms. I own a Glock .45 but carry a Ruger LCP more. I could argue the merits of both all day but I'm me and if I made a bad decision I am the one that has to pay the price. I am glad that you choose to arm yourself and made the decision to at least try. Enough of the endless pointless arguing.
Amen...I'm amazed how personally some people take discussions about one platform vs another. It's as if you had said something nasty about their momma. I'm done discussing it...even if my opinion is solicited.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

It Is What It Is

Reactions: rover

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
It is like the 9mm vs .45 debate, when the argument started in the 1960s the quality of the ammunition was very low, thus ruining the weapons' reputations, the same weapons today using modern ammo are quite deadly.

The AR vs AK debate started at the same time probably by the same people for the same reason: poor ammo.

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
That's one reason this place has turned into the internet commando septic tank it is. Too many fanboys with the knowledge to fill a thimble....

·
Pale of ale
563 Posts
That's one reason this place has turned into the internet commando septic tank it is. Too many fanboys with the knowledge to fill a thimble....
This is simple really, an AK is great for urban environments and thick wooded areas where a fight is likely to generate. The AR is also good for the urban areas, has a wonderful range, wicked wound channel over the AK. The AR rounds deflect easy in a wooded environment but if the round doesnt deflect you are in a world of pain, if it does and the round hits you as its tumbling, you are in a worse spot mate. Ive seen many of my blokes get up after being shot with an AK that wasnt in a vital area. I also have seen many people fall from the AR platform and not get up after a single shot. This round creates a massive canal as it enters a human body. We searched this one Iraqi who was shot with the AR platform, he was shot in the kidney area and the exit was out of his shoulder area.

I like both rifle types but for combat, I like the AR platform ammunition over the standard 7.62

As for the 9mm vs .45 debate, Ill take the 9mm any day over the 45. Less recoil, more rounds means less down time with reloads and will kill you just as dead as any other round placed properly. I find Americans thinking that bigger is better, well its not, its about getting the job done innit?:thumb:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I know, since the AK is so much better. There really is no better way to say it.

A battle proven rifle that is affordable to the average guy and that average guy can afford the ammunition for it. This is what I advise. Both fit the bill.

What do you like. A 2012 Silverado with all the gadgets, or a 1973 k1500. Sivlerado goes farther with less and has GPS to guide it. The k1500 has been rebuilt, but it it doesn't start tweak the choke with a screwdriver and your off and running in 5 minutes.

When comparing "apples to apples", I say atleast compare a all new AK to a new AR.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
Go to the range and converse with owners of what ever rifle you see, most will let you pop a couple of rounds off. Start there, with actual trigger time to see which you think is best, not what some inter net guys says is best.

Its that whole "whats good for me is not for thee" kinda thing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Most threads go AR/AK for fun though you get a fanboy that gets butthurt evry now and again but that just makes it even more fun.
Ive seen every one in this thread post in the AR/AK threads,you all know its just for fun and the sake of arguing just like what car or football team is better.
Maybe OP not take it so serious?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts