Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
quiet one
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a survival situation that you have to purify water (boil or filter) if you don't have that option, and you get sick. What natural medicinal plants can you use or store bought meds should be carried in your survival, BOB, or SHTF, kit. thanks. medicines

·
Banned
12,491 Posts
I'm no doc but I'm thinking electrolytes and anti-diarheal/anti-nausea medication. Water borne diseases usually dehydrate you from uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea. Not a pleasant way to go.

·
Go Forward With Courage.
3,056 Posts
In a survival situation that you have to purify water (boil or filter) if you don't have that option, and you get sick. What natural medicinal plants can you use or store bought meds should be carried in your survival, BOB, or SHTF, kit. thanks. medicines
You can use Food Grade hydrogen peroxide to purify water and you won't need carry all that much.

You can use colloidal silver the same way or if you get poisoned by water or bad food it stops it in it's tracks.

I take colloidal silver on vacation because it helps everything from sunburn to fire burns, to poison ivy and oak to food poisoning to inactivation of flu and colds. Refuse to be without it..cuts Mersa.. cures it all.

·
Follow your own star
1,905 Posts
Why limit my options with just boil or filter?
You can also treat the water with chemicals as well,Chlorine and iodine.
I would rather my water taste a little funny then get a water borne disease or parasite.

Short of a torential rain or high winds fire can be started almost anywhere.
If its raining well you have water.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great and very pertinent discussion coming off the heals of hurricane Sandy. Advanced medical grade ultra-filtration has changed the landscape for the surrealist today. With .005 micron (5NM) hollow fiber technology, one can deliver INSTANT removal of ALL LIVING ORGANISMS as water passes over the membrane.

Although it may seem counterintuitive, the hollow fiber allows the larger particulate to suspend rather than blind the pores. The technology also enables one the ability to forward flush any sediment that accumulates to extend filter life.

Best of all, these 3.7oz candy bar sized Ultrafilters can deliver between 700 -1000 liters of potable water from any fresh water source. We've deployed these globally with our service men and women as it remains the only solution that delivers these results.

If you are interested in learning more, contact me or visit our website: www.neprhos.com.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,324 Posts
Sulfa drugs for coccidiosis and salmonella. If you get cryptosporidium, you'll eventually die. There is no "natural remedy" for it. E-Coli will run it's course and will either kill you or you'll get better.

There are always options to minimize risk of pathogens. Learn them and use them. I'm speaking from PERSONAL experience.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sulfa drugs for coccidiosis and salmonella. If you get cryptosporidium, you'll eventually die. There is no "natural remedy" for it. E-Coli will run it's course and will either kill you or you'll get better.

There are always options to minimize risk of pathogens. Learn them and use them. I'm speaking from PERSONAL experience.
cryptosporidium will not kill you.

Most people who have healthy immune systems will recover without treatment. Diarrhea can be managed by drinking plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
CDC - Cryptosporidiosis - Treatment - http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/treatment.html

Natural Remedies for Cryptosporidium
Wormwood Capsules to kill parasites in bowel.

Collodial Silver or Olive Leaf Extract Capsules for a more gentle approach to eliminating parasites in bowel plus other bugs known or unknown.

But your best bet is to have multiple filtration/purification methods.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
I'm no doc but I'm thinking electrolytes and anti-diarheal/anti-nausea medication. Water borne diseases usually dehydrate you from uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea. Not a pleasant way to go.
Be careful with taking anti-diarrhea meds as they plug you up and allow the harmful nasties to multiply instead of them passing through your body.

·
It is what it is.
1,617 Posts
You can use Food Grade hydrogen peroxide to purify water and you won't need carry all that much.

You can use colloidal silver the same way or if you get poisoned by water or bad food it stops it in it's tracks.

I take colloidal silver on vacation because it helps everything from sunburn to fire burns, to poison ivy and oak to food poisoning to inactivation of flu and colds. Refuse to be without it..cuts Mersa.. cures it all.
Just seconding this. Colloidal silver is wonderful

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
I had this exact thing when I bought a bag of fresh orange-juice from a road-side vendor in a third-world country.

There was ice-cubes in it and I later learned the ice was local tap water that was untreated (only bottled water is treated).
Within less than two hours I was hit with the runs. Then another two hours had me waking up with crippling stomach pains.

In total I had 4 days of pure pain and misery. In a SITX environment you'd be practically begging an enemy to put you out of your misery!

What I'd of given for some of the 'pink goop' back then (pepto bismol).

I thought I was at the brink of system-failure and collapse! The exhaustion and relentless puking and cr*pping had me completely purged. Fluids and electrolyte kept me going, I had a full recovery though and the experience made me a lot wiser to drinking the local water...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am just starting to learn about the benefits of using silver and found a web site that makes a lot of claims about their products. When I try to buy the product it goes to a web page that is a generic web search page. Is the Gov blocking me from access ? What type of silver is the best and what do some of you use ? This stuff almost sounds to good to believe.

http://www.realcolloidalsilver.com/

·
It is what it is.
1,617 Posts
I am just starting to learn about the benefits of using silver and found a web site that makes a lot of claims about their products. When I try to buy the product it goes to a web page that is a generic web search page. Is the Gov blocking me from access ? What type of silver is the best and what do some of you use ? This stuff almost sounds to good to believe.

http://www.realcolloidalsilver.com/
If you want to try some go to your local health food store. Most of them have it. If you decide you like it go to Amazon or one of the other places and order a kit to make your own. You can save a lot that way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So after searching the net and reading many reports and watching videos of testimonials from people I have a stupid question. It has been said people used to put silver coins in their water barrels way back when to keep their water pure, what if I put some silver coins in my household water filter system would it do any good or would the ppm be so small that there would not be any benefit ? If it would work how much silver would I need and should the coins be cleaned before putting them in the filter housing and cleaned with what ? If I am all wet just let me know.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Boiling at minimum of 8 minutes is best................or distilling...........
Where did someone come up with the 8 minute rule? If you google it you'll find so many different claims about how long you should boil water to kill microbes.

I believe it's not necessary to bring water to a complete boil to sterilize it from microbial contamination.

Here's a chart:

Microbe Killed Rapidly At
Worms, Protozoa cysts (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba) 55°C (131°F)
Bacteria (V. cholerae, E. coli, Shigella, Salmonella typhi), Rotavirus 60°C (140°F)
Hepatitis A virus 65°C (149°F)
(Significant inactivation of these microbes actually starts at about 5°C (9°F) below these temperatures, although it may take a couple of minutes at the lower temperature to obtain 90 percent inactivation.)

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees.

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Water_pasteurization

·
TEXAS!!!
7,324 Posts
cryptosporidium will not kill you.

CDC - Cryptosporidiosis - Treatment - http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/treatment.html

Natural Remedies for Cryptosporidium
Wormwood Capsules to kill parasites in bowel.

Collodial Silver or Olive Leaf Extract Capsules for a more gentle approach to eliminating parasites in bowel plus other bugs known or unknown.

But your best bet is to have multiple filtration/purification methods.
If it goes untreated, you can die due to dehydration. I've seen it kill cattle.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
So after searching the net and reading many reports and watching videos of testimonials from people I have a stupid question. It has been said people used to put silver coins in their water barrels way back when to keep their water pure, what if I put some silver coins in my household water filter system would it do any good or would the ppm be so small that there would not be any benefit ? If it would work how much silver would I need and should the coins be cleaned before putting them in the filter housing and cleaned with what ? If I am all wet just let me know.
Unfortunately modern silver coin making process' have some nasty toxins in them that negate the good side of it.

Collodial silver wire is best.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
As most of the water borne illnesses are caused by bacteria and protazoa, and cause lots of fluid and electrolyte loss via loose bowels -- I would go with sports drinks and antibiotics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts