Survivalist Forum banner

Will armed gangs be a problem in your area?

• Yes

Votes: 300 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 116 25.9%
  • Other

Votes: 32 7.1%
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too many variables to be able to answer. Nobody knows what's going to happen, or to what degree, or even what the effects of it will be.

The other variables are going to involve the people in the area. Whether the gangs are organized enough, and whether the residents are going to be able to keep the peace. I can see where they could easily be a big problem in some areas, under some circumstances. And in others, not so much.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this is a no brainer. Are they (armed gangs) a problem now, yes. Will the problem get worse with less regard for the people, their property, and the law, yes.

Dave
That overlooks one thing though. Right now, we're not allowed to do anything about it. If there's no rule of law, a lot of people will be taking it into their own hands. It just depends on which side ends up being the most powerful and/or dedicated. And that's going to vary by region. And the type and severity of the disaster will play into it as well.

·
Banned
539 Posts
That overlooks one thing though. Right now, we're not allowed to do anything about it. If there's no rule of law, a lot of people will be taking it into their own hands. It just depends on which side ends up being the most powerful and/or dedicated. And that's going to vary by region. And the type and severity of the disaster will play into it as well.
We would like to think there were neighbors, families, friends, and survivalists who will band together and circle the wagons to fend off any armed, violent gangs. Probably, many militias through out the United States already have some kind of organizational structure to gather members in a central location. If anyone is in Michigan, head north on 31 or 131 until you run out of road, or run out of gas. Everyone might have to pay the toll to safety, so bring ammo, guns, food, gold, money, or something useful. Plan to stay awhile.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
MikeK is right on.. the saying "some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them." applies here.

I don't think they will be a problem in my area.. here they would stick out like a big ole B27 silhouette target.. and they would be out gunned and out numbered.

Now in areas where the average joe is not allowed to own firearms..certain cities in America and certain Nations abroad.. yeah you will have a serious problem on your hands.. when guns are outlawed only the government and the outlaws have them.. it's one of many reasons we vigorously oppose gun control in America.

·
On track!
140 Posts
SHTF is to vague, because if I lost my job or someone close to me passed away then to me the SHTF and I don't think armed gangs would rise up.....

But I know what you mean. :)

I think they would spring up all over and some would last and some would disband or be destroyed or absorbed by other "gangs" but IMO that would have to take a "One second after" type SHTF situation for that. What I think the most likey SHTF senerio for where I live (New England)would be an extended power outage like 7-14+ days. Then I think neiborhoods would band to gether for common security and maybe food.

·
Registered
21,921 Posts
Does the pope wear a funny hat?

·
Registered
33,255 Posts
I agree with MikeK, no one knows and there are so many variables involved.

Personally, I don't have the respect/fear of your typical street gangs many seem to have. It's true they are armed but most gang members either wind up in jail or dead because of poor choices. They simply lack tactical skills and they focus on quick easy scores that will eventually catch up to them. They will hit the low hanging fruit first such as the eldery, weak unprepared people hunkered down in their homes. Now imagine what happens when they kick down a door with their .38's and .40 cal hand guns and the meet a few well prepared survivalist types and their AR's and Ak's...game over!

The "gangs" I do have some serious concern over are the legal gangs we have now. Ex-leo's, ex-politicans etc., who will not want to give up their power easily. They will be the best armed and most organized and no doubt want to continue to lead and have power over the masses. I would expect some type of make shift rouge martial law to take place. (IMO) these folks will be the largest concern by far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Heck,if the power goes out in any city for a few hours [let alone the shtf]the gangs [punks] as I call them, come out in force every where. Just watch the news.They form a mob and try to screw with whom ever they think they can. If real, long term shtf happend anywhere, :eek: you would see them every where.Thats just the way it is.Thats why we prepare. :thumb:

·
Banned
539 Posts
Heck,if the power goes out in any city for a few hours [let alone the shtf]the gangs [punks] as I call them, come out in force every where. Just watch the news.They form a mob and try to screw with whom ever they think they can. If real, long term shtf happend anywhere, :eek: you would see them every where.Thats just the way it is.Thats why we prepare. :thumb:
History has proven when the lights go out the punks will even tear-up their own neighborhoods for no good reason except to show their weaknesses and for violence and destruction.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,893 Posts
Would I expect them in my area? Not at first. Don't have them now.

However, nature abhors a vacuum, and where there appears to be easy pickings, armed gangs will soon follow.

Our job here will be to make sure that we don't appear to be easy pickings.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Alot of gang members go into the military to get training.
And thats just here in this country and not the mexican cartels military background or La Raza or MS13 or any other group.
and kets not forget the religion of peace in this country...here is a link to a story about terrorist camps in this country.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/01/381953/

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Political Correctness. We don't want to hurt any one's feelings. And it will be our fate!!! :mad:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
In my area no. However I expect every law abiding community will be a "armed gang". They is now. And many are a problem to deal with. Stuff like your "colors" of your survival shack, layout of your survival garden (if they allow it) whether you can park your BOV outside and how many food animals you have about the place.

Heck, if things really get bad, there will be nothing but armed gangs and the occasional armed loners. :cool:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts