Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose something REALLY BAD happens. (Think Katrina, before relief arrived.) You are in your neighborhood, bugging in, or getting ready to bug out, and you have throngs of looters/ne'er do wells/skels & scumbags eyeing your house or loved ones or car. How would you respond in such a situation, use-of-force wise? Can you turn your back on your fellow man who didn't prepare as well as you? Would you have any qualms about the morality of killing somebody to protect your stash?

Not trying to be a bleeding heart here, but I just want to get people's perspective.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't live in a neighborhood ,but a semi-rural piece of land(45 acres)
Also close to a major highway. The moment that anyone make's a move to harm family or (important for our survival)property,it will be bad news for them,without a second thought.
I'm all for lending a helping hand,but to a point,you must draw the line.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just kill the first person who steps foot in your yard. Be sure to leave the dead body laying there. Everyone will get the message. :eek:

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Outside the home I pop smoke, 2nd trip/warning I pop CS/SMOKE, 3rd trip/warning I pop rubber ball cs, Last option 7.62x39. If im in a good mood that is. If you wake me up from the middle of my nap I may just go straight to 7.62.

In home gets advanced placement on the test, goto step 9mm/7.62. I also have OC to pop inside but it would have to get REAL hairy as there are the wife and kids in home.

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
This is the second post questioning killing...looters come near me, one shot to the head and that sends a strong enough signal to back off. Since I don't have any neighbors close by, no worries and no I wont hesitate to take down anyone...done it many times before and I can do it again. I take any situation that causes a group to get violent and I see it as war. War is what I have done a few times and am not afraid of being in a similar situation again.

·
Transplant
355 Posts
Depending on how they were acting... if they were setting stuff on fire and wrecking stuff... and they were getting close to me and my property... I may or may not fire a warning shot. I might just drop 29 rounds into them as fast as possible and hope they go the other way. If they don't I'll start taking carefull aim... and hit the most severe threats first.

If they weren't doing the aforementioned, I might just go display of force and instruct them to go the [email protected]#[email protected]# the other way. Then a warning shot, and a repeat of the instructions... then If they didn't stop, I would pop the most severe threat, and repeat instructions. If they continued, I drop 27 rounds rapid fire and hope they go the other way...

If I can't deter a whole group, I know I certainly cant kill a mob and am screwed anyway.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
I would use whatever means necessary to drive home the point that they made a wrong turn a few miles back and suggest to them they should be turning around. This includes the use of deadly force, home made weapons that have been banned by most civilized nations (read napalm) and anything else that can be used to deter a mob.

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
Suppose something REALLY BAD happens. (Think Katrina, before relief arrived.) You are in your neighborhood, bugging in, or getting ready to bug out, and you have throngs of looters/ne'er do wells/skels & scumbags eyeing your house or loved ones or car. How would you respond in such a situation, use-of-force wise? Can you turn your back on your fellow man who didn't prepare as well as you? Would you have any qualms about the morality of killing somebody to protect your stash?

Not trying to be a bleeding heart here, but I just want to get people's perspective.
The car they can have. My woman, depends on how's she been behaving lately. My ouzo, NEVER!:D

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
I´d prefer not shooting to kill. But a shot in someone´s leg should make the entire gang run fast. If they´re really brave, and wanna be the baddest thing walking...O.K. Better tie their shoelaces and thight the belt on their trousers. This is a one way trip. The next time you pull the trigger, if they continue harassing after someone´s crying calling for help with a lead in his tigh, should be considered a public danger and it´s your life, so there´s no mercy, as there´s no guarantee they would have showed mercy to you and loved 1s.

·
11B3P
754 Posts
I have been in a looter-defense situation before in 1992.
Post signs, "Looters will be shot".
If your property is breached then shoot to kill.

Mobs ALWAYS disperse when you kill the lead 1 or 2 in my experience. Only in Zombie movies do they keep coming.

Just explain if you are ever questioned about the situation that you posted signs and state you have limited supplies and the theft of those supplies poses a threat to the life of your __________ or you.

You defended your property from theft and the possible lethal force that the crowd/mob/group/bad guy etc posed to you.

I have no problems with pulling the trigger in defense of my family.

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have about 12 open acres between me and the road. First bend in the driveway gets them a round in the dirt. Any further gets them one in the chest.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with the sentiment in this thread, I too would have no qualms about applying deadly force to a unruly mob that was intent on harming me or my family or even trying to take the preps I have.

My question is where do you draw the line between an unruly mob of hudlooms and a group of refugees that need your help? What if it is a group of people from this forum who had to bug out and are looking for a place to settle down. These people would most likely be an asset in defense of the site and knowledge on how to survive long term.

Not trying to hijack the thread just an observation.

·
Banned
742 Posts
No offense, but a lot of people on these boards seem obsessed with the many uses of deadly force. I own guns. I like guns. But it amazes me how much time is spent talking about killing people to protect your food rather than spending time talking about how to actually grow food. Maybe a little more discussion about compost tea and a little less discussion about TNT is in order.

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
I agree with you stone...if I want to talk about killing so much, I'd join one of the many military veterans forums. However, it's nice to see that people actually would take action of some sort then be passive. Frankly, that is who I would like to have my back in case something goes amiss.

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gahh. I didn't want this to to turn into a what-if fantasy for people who have an itch to shoot something two-legged. I merely wanted to have a discussion on the morality of the use of force in a survival situation, and where people would draw the line. I'm all for being a good neighbor/good Samaritan type, but I am noy appeasing scumbags like there was after Katrina. Sorry for being vague at the beginning.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Depends on how they act and how close they get as well as if they believe somone is hiding in my house. My basic plan is to live unoticed and move about in the shadows. I will be hiding and not making noise until I'm found. If found the looter, thugs, raiders, whatever cannot live to tell others of my existence. (dead men tell no tales) I would like to go the route of poisoning food and placing it in cubbards in the surrounding abandoned houses but can't get past the moral aspect of it.

If I was found and the looters were looking to harm me and my loved ones I would resort to mostly explosives and chemical agents and maybe a few headshots to make an example. As a last resort I would open fire on the group and possibly have to charge them permitting how armed they are.

-Cade

1 - 20 of 56 Posts