Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a foldable solar panel to charge lithium batteries for on the go as well - if you need more battery power storage I really like the energizer [email protected] called energizer 18000 - i directly plug in my solar panel to charge it(built in charger controller and charge status indicator in the energizer). Outputs: USB, 16-20Vdc and 9-12vdc covers my computers and cell phones needs of the family. A bit pricey(naturally) $130 ebay. Need solar panel that outputs in the 14 to 19vdc range which is many of them. The one I have is from C&G 42watts and has the right connector for the energizer.

Purchased some stuff from them-I have always been lucky in getting it 7-10 day time frame sometimes in just 4 days. I read the reviews and roll the dice. I almost purchased lithium battery pack from them until I stumbled into the energizer and just had to have it-NY company on ebay had best price and amazon also carries at a higher price.

U can find several small portable solar panel on one side lithium on the inside battery packs of various mAhrs on ebay and deal extremes. Majority i have seen require waiting for shipment from china but there are some USA wholesalers that have them in stock .

I don't work for any company/manufacturer or sales - just an old fart retired engineer with solar and survival as a hobby and love to ride motorcycles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does anybody know if the same 5V regulator will work from a battery charger too? Ie 4 x AA batteries? or a 9v?
NiCd or NiMH--1.25V batteries; you can put 4 in series and run without a regulator. For NiZn--1.65V batteries; 3 in series without a voltage regulator should work. For zinc-carbon and alkaline--1.5V batteries; you will need 4 batteries and a 5V regulator.

Solar panels are definitely the better option. Don't drop a ****load of money on a commercial panel or battery pack. You can hack together various solutions using off-the-shelf products. If you're iffy about building your own battery chargers, find USB-chargable AA batteries (they'll be reduced capacity but can plug into USB ports and fold back into AA form-factor) and build an expanded version of this to build a small battery bank. Last thing: don't forget to liberally apply non-conductive glue or electrical tape or shrink-wrapped solder joints. Exposed electronics and point-to-point wiring requires an enclosure.

Also note that selection of batteries should be based on nominal voltage, capacity, rechargeability, cost, and weight. As always, V*Ah=Wh.

On a side-note, keeping spare electronics may be helpful--if only to charge a GPS or use your phone's GPS to calculate your location on a map. Without service, most devices still function. Even so, a charger can be useful for just charging your iPod or cellphone while you're on the go. A solar charger w/ USB port, rechargable battery pack, 12V car adapter to USB, and 120Vac adapter to USB should probably be included in a car bag or 3-day pack. Most scenarios requiring quick bug-outs or extended blackouts mean your power sources will be limited. Don't forget that your car typically has a powerful alternator--sufficient to charge phones, iPods, and laptops. You typically carry enough fuel to run for 200+ miles--so charge what you can, when you can--so you're not stuck out in the middle of nowhere with none or only one option. (Two is one and one is none.)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts