Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just putting this note here to give a little warning. I've been reading some posts where someone is relying on a red dot or illuminated recticle for their defence gun after a SHTF / TEOTWAWKI.

this may not be a good plan if we have an EMP event that will fry most all non-protected electronics. i am assuming that this would fry any of those scopes as well as most of the batteries that keep them running.

Am i right in this? also, wouldnt be a good idea to rely on battery powered aiming devices cause power / batteries will be in short supply and hard to get.

thanks for any replies if this would be the case. --------- Eric

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Im just putting this note here to give a little warning. I've been reading some posts where someone is relying on a red dot or illuminated recticle for their defence gun after a SHTF / TEOTWAWKI.

this may not be a good plan if we have an EMP event that will fry most all non-protected electronics. i am assuming that this would fry any of those scopes as well as most of the batteries that keep them running.

Am i right in this? also, wouldnt be a good idea to rely on battery powered aiming devices cause power / batteries will be in short supply and hard to get.

thanks for any replies if this would be the case. --------- Eric
But what if there's a huge volcano that spews ash and blocks out most of the sunlight? It would be much harder to use a non lighted reticle than a lighted one.

Not that I think it will happen, but problems can be pointed out easily if you selectively choose what scenario you're going to apply.

I believe most have back up irons anyway.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
No it was a good post, we need to think outside the box.

Like what if an infestation of fairies with the sole power of making batteries disappear show up? Your red dot would be pretty useless then.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
EMP won't effect the batteries, but it could easily fry the electronics in the optics. That's why back up irons are so important for guns with optics. I still use iron sights on many of my guns, but unfortunately, my eyes are forcing me to go to optics more and more. The Russians got around this problem by creating a black/red dot reflex site that works without power also, or for daylight use where a glowing dot isn't that important. I'd like to see that technology make it's way into reflex sights more often.

·
Steel True Blade Straight
832 Posts
Just get one that has a non-lit reticle also. On my scope if the illumination gets fried or the batts go dead still has the normal reticle. I rarely turn on the "red" anyway. If the scope gets dinged then I just quick-detach it, and go with the back up irons underneath...I like to think I'm covered all the way around. Mine's a Burris Tac30, but there are several brands out there that work this way.-WW

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
An EMP will not fry the batteries.

If you are worried, buy quick disconnects and two identical red-dots. Keep one on the weapon and one in a Faraday cage.

...plus, now you have a spare.

If the US gets fried by EMP's, there is like a 10% survival rate after 1 year...so we got bigger issues then dead red-dots at that point.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I'm not being flippant but if you are worried about an EMP then buy a backup (or two) red dot and keep it in a faraday cage. Seriosly, if an EMP is on your radar then you should have a faraday cage with all kinds of devices stored in it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The best weapon in a survival situation is on that has iron sights. Optics can brake or you need to have batteries. MY opinion

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
All this person is trying to say is know how to aim and shoot without any help from the red dot. I agree, if you can't aim without help, you could have a problem. Thanks, we are going to a range to learn our weapons well, and also I want to know my weapon so i can take it apart and put it back together in the dark.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
gotcha, bad post, I shoulda thought twice. thanks
No. I'm not saying that. Just pointing out that there are many scenarios that could happen that wouldn't damage electronics.

I have red dots along with traditional scopes and iron sights. Whatever happens will determine which is best for my use.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Agreed with buying Trijicon optics. The look like laser illumination, but use fiber optics and tritium to illuminate your reticle in high, low, and zero light conditions. Battle proven, too. Very durable, accurate, reliable optics.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts