Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think any training is good but the best training for SHTF also happens to be my favorite: hiking.

Every 4 days I climb up over the top of the mountain and down the other side and then back up over the top and down my side again. The gain in elevation from my house to the highest point (near my house) is 1,600 feet and I'm trying to reduce the time and increase the weight in my bag. In El Paso, Texas there is a mountain range in the middle of the city that splits the city in two, the highest climb is 3000 feet from east el paso to the top of mount franklin. The mountain range is very long and thin and during the day I am at the opposite side of the mountain. Walking the trans mountain road would take more than one day, and walking around the southern end would take a whole day, but I can get over the top of the mountain and to my house within 3 hours. I have a "get home bag" with everything I would need including two gallons of water, food, money in small bills and coins, and various survival stuff meant to get me home as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It's how I got into prepping (or at least much more than what I was before).

I kept looking for gear reviews, and ultimately I kept finding reviews on different survivalist/prepping message boards. I stayed around to read other things and found that I wasn't near as ready as I thought I was.

Thankfully my work schedule has me off on Friday's, and when I get out there usually isn't a lot of other folks out. Even less so once school starts back up.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to hike the Appalachian Trail...

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Great idea. My hiking is really prep work. Good way to fine tune your gear, food and water carry. Plus......if you do a lot of hills (mts) you stay in great shape. Basically a no-brainer for anyone that's serious about having to "bug-out" at some point (and not in your truck either).

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's how I got into prepping (or at least much more than what I was before).

I kept looking for gear reviews, and ultimately I kept finding reviews on different survivalist/prepping message boards. I stayed around to read other things and found that I wasn't near as ready as I thought I was.

Thankfully my work schedule has me off on Friday's, and when I get out there usually isn't a lot of other folks out. Even less so once school starts back up.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to hike the Appalachian Trail...
You took the words right out of my mouth! When I changed jobs (I work from home now) and no longer had a set schedule, I got back into camping and hiking...basically I was spending close to a week a month camping or doing some type of adventure...ie. rafting, hiking, canoeing...whatever piqued my interest at the time. I also started getting more into a homesteading type of lifestyle.

The result of all that was I got into shape and my eyes were opened to sustainability and prepping. I have been looking into testing myself (my skills and mentally) with a long term minimalist camping/hiking adventure and was thinking about the Appalachian Trail being a good proving ground.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hiking is a good way to exercise and be ready in case it all goes down. I think a better way to achieve ultimate fitness for everyday life and bug out situations is CrossFit. CrossFit teahes functional movements, gaining strength and speed using body weight, olympic type movements, and gymnastic type movements. These are all brought together to move heavy things long distances as fast as you can and I believe that is what we will all need to do when it goes down. Anyway, that's what i think, it has changed my life. If interested here is the link to the website where any info can be found on Crossfit and the place where they post the Workout Of the Day (WOD).

When Coah Greg Glassman talked with a Dr. about CrossFit he asked. (this is paraphrased of course)
GG, Dr. would you prescribe dead lifts for a 75 year old woman?
Dr., No, that is to much for a 75 year old woman.
GG, What if a 75 year old lady had to pick up a bag of grocerys from the ground?
Dr., well, yes you have to get by in life!
GG, well, there you have it deadlift teahes us a functional movement, picking something up off the ground. what is the difference between doing a deadlift and picking up groceries? nothing! Functional Movements we use in everyday life.

http://www.crossfit.com/:thumb:

Tbull

·
Registered
640 Posts
You took the words right out of my mouth! When I changed jobs (I work from home now) and no longer had a set schedule, I got back into camping and hiking...basically I was spending close to a week a month camping or doing some type of adventure...ie. rafting, hiking, canoeing...whatever piqued my interest at the time. I also started getting more into a homesteading type of lifestyle.

The result of all that was I got into shape and my eyes were opened to sustainability and prepping. I have been looking into testing myself (my skills and mentally) with a long term minimalist camping/hiking adventure and was thinking about the Appalachian Trail being a good proving ground.

It's definitely something I wish I could do more of. Since I'm in Ohio I'm pretty close to Dave Canturbury's school, and I've thought about getting my boys and I enrolled into some of his classes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's definitely something I wish I could do more of. Since I'm in Ohio I'm pretty close to Dave Canturbury's school, and I've thought about getting my boys and I enrolled into some of his classes.
I have looked into his school too! Not too far for me either, heck, I am down by Marietta a lot just to fish. I think its like 1 1/2 hours from there. This month there is an Appalachian Mtn Training class but I can't make it :mad:. I am toying with the idea of the Winter Survival Course though in January. I haven't done winter camping like that, and think that would be a real eye-opener that I wouldn't want to try without some experienced campers with me.

·
Survivalist
260 Posts
The best survival training is mental training (almost nothing except war) could prepare you to what TSHTF would be like. With that said hiking is almost my favorite exercise because i can't stand walking on a treadmill or walking around the city. i need the, scenery I need sights other wise i get bored and cut the workout short, ya know?

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
173 Posts
I wish I lived somewhere that I could climb up and down mountains. I'm only at about 500 ft above sea level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts