Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
During Obama's sandy Hook BS the Only commercial ammo on any shelves in Southeastern Oklahoma was 30-06. I have a JC Higgins model 50 30-06 made by Husquavarna with a chrome barrel and a Remington 700 Bull (Varmint) barrel AND BLR in 308. I love both 308 and 30-06. Either work if you can do your part. Recoil is less with 308.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
For longer range and improved accuracy, 6.5 Creedmoor would be the short action ticket, and going back to your military testing requirements, heres a blurb on the military testing 6.5 Creedmoor against 308-

"The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) recently conducted a study comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, and .308 Winchester cartridges and they came to a similar conclusion. Compared to the current M118 Special Ball Long Range .308 Winchester load (a 175gr Sierra MatchKing Boattail Hollow Point) currently used by special operations snipers, the 6.5 Creedmoor had less recoil, doubled hit probability at 1,000 meters, had a 33% longer effective range, retained 30% more energy at 1,000 meters, and had 40% less wind drift at 1,000 meters."
All while only costing 300% more.

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The .308 that I have on hand, Mauser 98 with aftermarket barrel, Winchester 70 sights, and Timney trigger will be tapped for the job. 18 inch barrel, and my gunsmith gave it 1/2x28 threading for the muzzle brake, so is ready for a suppressor when funds allow. Will be getting the Brownells picatinny rail mount, Warne rings, and some Leupold glass for it, Just not sure which scope yet.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
Umm i am gonna go with the 308. Easier to find and the gun you have in 308 is just a better rifle.
308 disappears immediately after an event I have noticed. Supplies sell out quickly but it does for now appear to be somewhat available. Of course not having a bulk at this point would be a mistake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Aerindel, not 300% more for 6.5 Creedmore. On Luckygunner right now, both 6.5 and 308 are starting around 68-70 cents per round. I have found 6.5 Creedmore on the shelf when 308 is long gone. With the pricing, availability and vastly superior long range capability, 6.5 makes a better choice unless 308 is already in house.

·
Truth Seeker
235 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Rem 700 in 7.62. They certainly check all the boxes. Affordable, Accurate, Tested. Stone anything not wearing body armor within 1000yrds

But the new kid on the ballistics block is the 6.5 Creedmoor. I did spy a few boxes of it at my local walmart a few days ago, its available.

I cant remember which sniper forum i was on (just tried to find it but didnt) those guys have a cookie cutter layout using a Tikka T3x Varmint rifle for the heavier barrel $800, then swap in a KRG Whiskey-3 chassis for $900. You can sell the Tikka chassis.
Next pick up some nice glass like a Nightforce scope $1800 and some other odds and ends and I lost interest due to cost. lol

Keep us posted on whatever you decide.

·
Retired Army
5,964 Posts
I'd go .308. It's what you have in a patrol / battle rifle, it's what all the ballistic tables info out there is available for, (much of the work done for you, at least to start off) and ammo isn't that scare if you look for sources other than the big online places. Look in forums, and private sales. It's out there. As far as worrying about breakage... don't. First off the glass. If you spend some for decent glass, they are pretty durable these days. Also remember that a precision gun isn't one you go jumping out of APCs with. You won't be tossing this into the back of a truck. I wouldn't even worry about iron sights. Not what this type of rifle is about. Want that... build a Scout Rifle. Secondly, it's not gonna wear out and break either. This isn't a weapon for high volume engagements. You won't be burning through thousands upon thousands of rounds fighting off human waves with it. It's a sneak, and peek deal that you actually shoot infrequently. A standard Remington 700 or Savage model 10 will suffice.

I'm also just getting into the precision game, with a Remington 700. Mine is in.243,and I'm kinda at a disadvantage because of the hunting caliber. If I was buying today, I'd go .308, because I also have a .308 AR. Thing is, I already had it, so I'm gonna try to find a load it likes before I go to the trouble of having it rebarreled in .308.

·
Always Loaded
2,172 Posts
The .308 will work just fine for you. I have the 700 SPS Tac. Unless you live somewhere that offers 1,200+ shots regularly, then the .308 is perfectly adequate. There's a reason basically all police departments and SWAT teams still use the .308 win. As to the aftermarket and spare parts, no other bolt action has more. There are FAR more options and availability of .308 loads over 30-06.

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks, all. .308 won this one, just because of logistics and I won't have to buy a new rifle. The Mauser I already have is very accurate, I just need to get proper rings and glass on her, and experiment to see what ammo she prefers.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts