Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my plan for hunting small game in a SHTF scenario was to use my .223 and go for headshots on bunnies and squirrels, which obviously isn't ideal. I also have a 9mm. Also not ideal. Those calibers will both decimate game that small, and they're also extremely loud, which in a WROL situation is not good. I was thinking about purchasing an AR-7 (.22LR) for this purpose, which would also go nicely into a bug out bag.

.22's still make a fair amount of noise though, and in a suburban area like where I live it'd draw a lot of attention in a semi-broken down scenario (food shortages, but government still functioning like in Venezuela). Is there something else that'd work better such as airguns? Cabelas even sells slingshots and blowguns, but those seem hard to use. I'm not really sure how far the sound from a .22 travels, or whether BB guns can even kill a rabbit. I know some trapping, but it's not going to work with other hungry people around. Help me out here if you can. Thanks.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
Yes CCI CB Longs are a good choice for quite 22 ammo. They will feed in most guns flawlessly but will not cycle autoloaders. In a rifle the only thing you hear is the hammer or striker hit; click. They have enough hit for housecat size game at like 100 feet. Accurate enough to shoot grouse in the head up in a tree.

If you learn to reload you can produce ammo for your 223 that will preform exactly the same. Or you can step it up to regular 22 LR or even 22 mag. Way less than ten cents a round if you cast your own bullets.

If you look at a Lyman 310 tool with the optional tap in full length case sizer die and the cast bullet sizer die plus a bullet mold/handle will fit in shoe box with a couple pounds of powder and 1000 primers and be less than 10 pounds. You will need to reuse your bullets and find more lead.

8mm Mauser set. Needs a dedicated spoon for melting/pouring lead and a stick for cutting the spru.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Aquila colibri , no powder sounds. Like a gopher fart out of a 16" barrel
Pellet guns yes fed myself on rabbits off a paper route one winter with a .177 Benjamin. BB guns probably not enough velocity out of a modern BB they seem to be down around350-400 FPS. Good for small birds not small game.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
In the desert with an over abundant supply of rabbits, there's a reason I keep my part Dingo Queensland Cattle Dog.

Even with a messed up foot after being run over by a horse, she's been clocked at 38MPH.

It never gets old when she comes bouncing back down the road, on three legs babying that foot after an all out run, with a rabbit hanging out of her mouth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the distance is good for the 22 longr. The platform of the rifle make no difference, in my mind, as long as it supplies chow at a low cost. Just a thought for noise reduction a sling shot work great also.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
1. Don't hunt small game.

It's not worth the calories expended let alone the ammo or time.

I sometimes "hunt" rabbits in the evening by sitting on my porch with my suppressed .22 pistol by me waiting for rabbits to approach my garden.

There's also a $100 .22 revolver hanging just inside the door as I've shot several ***** and opossums going after my compost pile.

2. (Again... REALLY HATE) To channel gunkid, but they make .22 conversions for both AR'S and various 9mm's.

My setup is more AK and pair of glocks... and I have a Advantage arms .22 conversion so I can have the option if I choose (it's VERY light... I need to get a threaded barrel for it.)

4. For basically the price of a Glock you can have a LEGALLY REGISTERED .22 suppressor.. .. if you get one you'll wonder why you waited so long.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
1+ on snares and traps. Even a rat trap bated with acorns near squirrel nests may catch one. I've caught chipmunks in rat traps with peanut butter. Then you can place snare wire loops around trees that have squirrel nests. With practice you can use wrist rocket type sling shots. Bows with blunt tips or field points with less draw. Fishing in a nearby stream or lake can yield fish. Also get a book on eatable wild plants. Save your ammo for 2 legged predators. I have Buckshot's book on snaring and trapping. One can make a deer snare from aircraft or garage door cable. NOT LEGAL, but in a survival situation. Get a trapping license in your state, and practice snaring and trapping small game. One can make a quail trap using some cracked corn for bait. Also, don't discount a good pellet rifle.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
I have killed squirrels, birds and rabbits with a wrist rocket. The surgical tubing dry rots and suffers UV breakdown. Arrows would allow bigger game.

I have shot lots of fish with a recurve bow. Most effective was to hunt upstream in the shallows with a wood arrow equipped with a blunt. Misses don't stick and they will float back to you. The biggest fish I ever caught was with a 700 Remington in 270W.

Snares and traps hunt when you are doing other things. Great for a fixed camp not so useful on the move. A few yoyo's can help with fish and small game.
You need to de-scent your stuff for game.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Aside from what has already been mentioned, I think that any realistic discussion of a SHTF scenario should take into account that at least one type of small game will likely flourish: rats and mice. People in the West snub their nose at eating them now (though many of these same people will gladly eat squirrels and nutria), but they are a good source of protein and easily captured with bait. I would highly recommend handling the carcasses with gloves and cooking them well to neutralize any potential diseases they might be carrying.

·
I have control issues
6,132 Posts
For squirrels and rabbits, use a pellet gun! You can get the hunting pellets, which will work just fine, and they are CHEAP (a tin of 250 pellets can be purchased for just a few dollars.) You ALSO don't need to worry about availability of the "ammo", or registering the "gun". They are also MUCH quieter than a "regular" firearm.

You could also use a slingshot (just get plenty of practice using it first, so you get your aim perfected.) With a slingshot, you can even use small stones for "ammo". (I've even used cherry pits, AFTER I ate the cherries first!)

·
Registered
568 Posts
ive got a compound bow, with a hi power small hunting torch on it for nightime, its very quiet, pretty damn accurate, and i was bullseyeing the day i bought it from 20 paces, ie didnt not take long to learn how to shoot.
But a good hi powered air rifle of the larger calibre will get bunnies at med/short range.
can scope it too.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yup, my .22 cal spring piston hunting air rifle is easily tops on my list for food procurement in my suburban neighborhood. I shoot the air rifle, bows and slingshots in my backyard and basement all the time. For me, .22 LR needs a trip to the range, not that I waste this Ammo during this long shortage though.

For a high powered .22 air rifle with good hunting pellets, I'd say squirrel and rabbit are about right sized and raccoon, opossum, turkey, geese are good if you got a head shot. Pond frogs are easy chicken wings too.

Air rifles are pretty useless for self-defense though, while a .22LR can hold its own.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
"Ishi" Was a California indian who lived in the late 1800's-early 1900's, He did not hunt big game. small game is the way to go if one is alone or in a very small group. Traps work great. So does a good pellet gun. A good scoped pellet gun will take most small game. I like 177 but many prefer 22. 5mm sheridan was great but ammo may be and issue. Same thing with 25 cal.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,921 Posts
Snares and traps are a much more productive use of time when it comes to getting small game. These animals will get very smart very fast in a SHTF city situation, and will be difficult to hunt.
Depends on the ground and say for instance rabbit population, some ground takes a lot snares down to get a bag that would feed a small family whilst exposing yourself in the process.
My last shoot was shared with a driven game syndicate, pigeon shooters and a few people like myself who were just looking for a pot and it never got any harder to work the ground. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slingshots can work..ammo is easy to come by. Even with good care the bands don't last long. Blowguns are very effective and fairly easy to make accurate darts for. There range is pretty limited like the slingshot. I vote a .177 air rifle. I use mostly .22 but it's much easier to find .177 ammo and most small game is no match for a good shot even with the .177. Ideally use heavy pellets and/or a slower fps to avoid the crack and no one will ever hear you fire a shot. If you have the cash get a good .22 air rifle and stock up on pellets, you won't go hungry, can take out even mid sized game, and no one will ever hear you fire.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,113 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts