Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BOB is under control, long term preps are in progress, and I just started storing wheat to begin learning homesteading skills...and that's when I realized how much goes into making decent bread! Never baked a loaf of bread in my life, I thought, "Whew!"

As I build the rest of the bread ingredients get into preps and rotation, all I have is (to be milled) wheat and water, which reminded me of...Matzah!

I didn't see mention of it in the search tool so forgive me if the topic has been covered. Many here are 21st-Century homesteaders, but I'm sure there are a few in my boat who are now realizing more goes into bread than pulling it off the store shelf. But hey, we're learning, that's why we are here!

Admittedly rather flavorless, matzah is easy to make (earthen oven, or heck, you could bake it in the sun if the temp is right!), you get your carbs, AND it was actually (accidently) invented under a SHTF scenario--so you know it's tried and true for 2000 years!

Here is the wikipedia entry. Sift through the religious stuff and the Kosher prep guidelines, and all you are really doing is combining flour and water, kneading, flattening, poking holes, and baking...BAM!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo

For the beginning homesteader, I thought it was a good place to evolve from. Hope this helps!

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
The entire Exodus Story is one of Survival....I bet there are many lessons for survivalists and preppers in the old testament.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The entire Exodus Story is one of Survival....I bet there are many lessons for survivalists and preppers in the old testament.
Ya know, you bring up a good point!

I'm Jewish by birth, but by no means religious. Seriously, Passover seders recount the story, but to me it's always been, "Hurry this along so we can EAT".

I think you are the first person to intrigue me into reading The Bible. Perhaps I'll pay better attention now.

Thanks!:thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts