Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of thinking and trying to come up with a plan to combat an attack on our BOL by fire from a distance or close range does not matter. By one or many attackers. Once the fires starts its to late, so what ideas or plans do others have to combat this likelihood. If you read the servival books and true stories, fire is used to burn people out.

Boarded windows and doors, many fire extengihers, drills on fire fighting, but I have not come up with a good way to prevent this likelihood.

Any ideas? I think we all need to plan for this possibility. The bad guys are sure to use this tactic.

Thanks

·
Hippie with a Mac-11
386 Posts
I've considered this too, and been thinking about making the same post.

What I can think of is, if possible, have more than one occupied building, be friends with your neighbors, to the extent that an injury to one is an injury to all. If they can be shot at from multiple vantage points getting close enough to throw a foxtail would be a lot harder.

Perhaps creating a "shield" of chicken wire that would bounce off the firebombs so they wouldn't break, about a foot or two from the structure. They'd prolly roll off a roof too. Similar to those grate-type things they got on ATVs to detonate RPGs before they are at the right distance to penetrate armor.

Preventing them from getting close enough, or having not just enough firepower but enough individual people to suppress the threat and do so in such a way the survivors will talk about it in a way that no one will ever consider doing so again.

·
Fenced In
3,350 Posts
This scenario gets mentioned every now and then, and I have to ask:

In a post-SHTF world, where shelter and supplies are incredibly are hard to come by, what attacker is likely to set on fire any resource that might be found within? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but unless someone's sole purpose is to kill you and destroying everything around you is acceptable to them, it seems to me that the greater concern should be fires caused by natural disaster or accident. Frankly, defending against intentional fire is difficult unless you happen to find yourself in a fireproof structure.

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
Once the fire is on the house it is too late. Putting water on it will only spread the fuel around.

That only leaves prevention as a response.

I hope to slow them down enough on the exterior to see them coming then shoot them. Fencing is my solution.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Putting things under ground with 10-12 in of dirt cover will protect many things....People can get up wind and set a fire... Chicken wire and so on wont
stop it.....
Major fire break out, put your stores under ground a safe place to move to under ground to shelter that you can move to a different place spider holes
trip supports behind you as you move from one point to the other they dont want to dig .. it may bury them, no one will follow as you move.....

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
I have been doing a lot of thinking and trying to come up with a plan to combat an attack on our BOL by fire from a distance or close range does not matter. By one or many attackers. Once the fires starts its to late, so what ideas or plans do others have to combat this likelihood. If you read the servival books and true stories, fire is used to burn people out.

Boarded windows and doors, many fire extengihers, drills on fire fighting, but I have not come up with a good way to prevent this likelihood.

Any ideas? I think we all need to plan for this possibility. The bad guys are sure to use this tactic.

Thanks
Clear any burnable material (weeds, sticks, trees, bushes) that can burn at lest 20 feet from the building or camp. Then for extra measures, use some mud and rock and build up around the sides of the building or make a nice fort around the camp. Have places to shoot from, sleep in, even an underground storage for food and sleeping for the wife and kids. Doesn't have to be that deep, 3 feet to lay down in is fine. Go fancy and dig a trench, have spot areas to shoot from to defend the camp or building.
Throw sand on top of the building, even make mud and pack it on top. This prevents any fire that lands on your building from catching the building on fire.

Just some tips.

·
Montani Semper Liberi
151 Posts
Fire isn't a logical weapon for taking previsions, but the byproduct of fire is...smoke.

I wouldn't worry greatly about someone coming along trying to raze your home to the ground with flames, but I would worry about some one coming along with something that would generate very little flame, but a a lot of smoke.
As I'm sure most of use are aware it's not the fire that does the killing, it's the choking smoke.

If anything someone who wanted your stores would ignite a smoke generating substance near a ventilation hole allowing the home to fill with smoke. In the mean time while you were trying to get you and your family/friends out they would move to a location that gave them a good observation spot so that they could see when you have started to come out so they could commence sniping, or already have some one posted ready to do the deed.

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
Fire isn't a logical weapon for taking previsions, but the byproduct of fire is...smoke.

I wouldn't worry greatly about someone coming along trying to raze your home to the ground with flames, but I would worry about some one coming along with something that would generate very little flame, but a a lot of smoke.
As I'm sure most of use are aware it's not the fire that does the killing, it's the choking smoke.

If anything someone who wanted your stores would ignite a smoke generating substance near a ventilation hole allowing the home to fill with smoke. In the mean time while you were trying to get you and your family/friends out they would move to a location that gave them a good observation spot so that they could see when you have started to come out so they could commence sniping, or already have some one posted ready to do the deed.
Gas Mask. Check.
Water barrel full of water. Check.
Rags for the water. Check.
Swimming goggles. Check. (Just in case.)
Flamethrower. Check. (Again, just in case.)

·
Banned
807 Posts
well thinking about it for a second i can see how a fire could be used to get preps, start a fire about 100 yards away or from a distance that cant be seen from the BOL and then when the people inside come out to get a look at the situation, ambush them
the only ways to protect against fire would be to clear a good ways between your BOL and wooded area and by activly patroling your BOL

·
Banned
807 Posts
also im sorry if that makes anyone mad but we all face this as a possible threat and we all need to plan for a fire threat

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I am in the process of acquiring multiple water barrels to collect rain water and placing them along side my house.

These will provide both drinking and fire fighting capacity when coupled with a hand pump.

I also plan, upon reno of my solarium, to build in water spreading and water collection up there too.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Maybe the FBI wants to murder you for your religious beliefs and they are tired of waiting around for 51 days.

Or maybe you shot the agents trying to serve the warrant and refused to surrender for 51 days because of being a religious whacko in Waco, taking your followers to the grave with you. :eek:

Reactions: Fenrell and TxHills

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
The solution is simple- build your structure out of stuff that doesnt burn- like concrete and steel. Keep flammables in protected areas.

It is just like the retards on the coast that build wood homes in Hurricane prone areas, then when their crap gets blown away they build another one the same damn way and bitch when it happens again.

Use the 5P's rule- prior planning prevents poor performance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts