Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,962 Posts
If a #25 bow is all you can handle confidentially, then definitely go with what you have. In the future, look for a set of limbs with more draw weight. Work yourself up to it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Brothers and sisters I don't think a bow will cut it, you got to have a fire arm.
Why do you think we don't? Firearms are definitely the go-to weapon but under certain circumstances a stealthy bow in the hands of a skilled archer make more sense. One quick situation I can think of is to procure game without giving away your position.

A bow isnt the end-all-cure-all, its another tool in our bag!

Every weapon system has its strength and weaknesses. A true prepper plans for them all.

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,962 Posts
Brothers and sisters I don't think a bow will cut it, you got to have a fire arm.
And I do, several.

My bow is just as, if not more, useful than a firearm in certain situation. Its also something I enjoy, so naturally I would use it in a survival situation. Its also something that gun grabbing police and governments wouldn't look twice at during a major emergency.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Ive looked at a few of the folding bows, but the main reason, I went with the PG, is the fact that it flips to either side easily. ambidextrous. the only thing i don't do equally well with either hand is throw a base ball that's LH only, but i dont think the majors are pickin me up anytime soon LOLOL.But it is a nice looking longbow.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,311 Posts
Ive looked at a few of the folding bows, but the main reason, I went with the PG, is the fact that it flips to either side easily. ambidextrous. the only thing i don't do equally well with either hand is throw a base ball that's LH only, but i dont think the majors are pickin me up anytime soon LOLOL.But it is a nice looking longbow.
NOT SURE about the NEW SAS bow capable of ambi, but their folding ones certainly are. You could put an arrow rest on either side or both with no effect on its handling or performance.

I never thought of it because I would suck at left hand bow shooting.
"A wise man knows his limitations.":D:

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,016 Posts
I carry a recurve I picked up at a gun show for $7.00 in my rifle rack in the back window of my truck. The rack has two places so the bottom part of the rack is for my arrows. I hang my 3 finger leather glove on that rack as well.

Still haven't got comfortable with a mechanical release but, it's coming along. I learned back in the late 60's and early 70's when my Dad was stationed at Ft Monmouth, NJ and we used to go to the Algonquin Archery range.. They had a great trail you walked through the woods and shot at targets in all kinds of crazy locations.

I've got 3 compounds, the better of the three being an old Ted Nugent bow, and then I have my one recurve. I'm always on the lookout at yard sales for arrows and bows.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Primal Gear 55, shoot it instinctive. I keep it bare bones. only thing i added, is a flemish twist string, and a string loop. I do require feather fletch, and favor spruce shafts, but Girlchild has me liking the Victory V force carbon fiber shafts........ My grab an go bow setup. I use Eskilite or Eskimo broadheads, from zwickey, they seem to last longer for me.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Hard to fish with a firearm. Uses too much ammo and the sound gives away your position to the zombies.
you nailed it. I didnt realize it was a "zombie" till is seen I had already posted about the PG, not once but thrice.........age is catchin up, im repeating myself, repeating myself.......:xeye:

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
you nailed it. I didnt realize it was a "zombie" till is seen I had already posted about the PG, not once but thrice.........age is catchin up, im repeating myself, repeating myself.......:xeye:
ROFLMAO!!!

I never even noticed that. Glad it got brought back around, though. Not enough bow threads and discussion these days.

But me, I prefer old, classic fiberglass recurves. Lots around, lots still in mint condition, and pretty much no upkeep. I'm not a collector like Tox above but I have a dozen or more on the wall in my den. Still rebuilding my arrow stash after the disintegrating vane prob.

·
Awesome
16,800 Posts
im curious.. those takedown recurves, is there any kind of actual standardization to the limbs and the joints?.. could somebody buy a metal, maybe even steel riser that was capable of using these limbs you can buy separately, and stock a few spares for repairs?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have one bow. A Pearson (I think) that is 58" and 45 pounds draw at 28". I draw around 30" so I guess the poundage is around 50+. I have owned this bow for over 45 years. Only thing I ever killed with it was a Cardinal red bird. I need a string for it. Is the Flemish twist a better string? And at 58" I am guessing I need a 54" string? I really need to get this bow running again. I shot it all the time as a kid.

I also had a Browning take down I stupidly sold. I killed a deer with that bow. I wish I still had it. I would like to have a bow that draws around 40 pounds at 30". Any suggestions? I prefer recurves or maybe even a long bow. Compounds and crossbows don't do much for me.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
i have one bow. A pearson (i think) that is 58" and 45 pounds draw at 28". I draw around 30" so i guess the poundage is around 50+. I have owned this bow for over 45 years. Only thing i ever killed with it was a cardinal red bird. I need a string for it. Is the flemish twist a better string? And at 58" i am guessing i need a 54" string? I really need to get this bow running again. I shot it all the time as a kid.

I also had a browning take down i stupidly sold. I killed a deer with that bow. I wish i still had it. I would like to have a bow that draws around 40 pounds at 30". Any suggestions? I prefer recurves or maybe even a long bow. Compounds and crossbows don't do much for me.
look at the mongol horse bows. Jmho and s/fi!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Tenngrizz. Aren't the Mongolian bows extra short? If they are wouldn't the stacking be even worse? Thats why I mentioned the Long bow. I suspect the draw will be smoother and and more linear because of the length. I don't care how long the bow is. If its a take down then it really doesn't matter.

I am glad I found this thread. I had been thinking about my old bow over the last few days. I have a dozen new aluminum arrows I bought from Academy. I am not sure if they are the correct spine stiffness but they do shoot OK. And I found strings on Ebay but am uncertain of there quality. I also saw some of the gloveless finger things while I was on there. How do those go on the string? I liked that idea a lot.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
To update have ordered a Flemish Twist string, a quiver and the silicone finger protectors off ebay. That should get me up and running. I just need to figure out a good arrow stop. I will check at Academy Sports and see what they have.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts