Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ex Wuffo
80 Posts
Check out the Fiskars all steel shovel. My wife had a problem with breaking wooden handles, now we have 3 of the Fiskars shovels.

·
Registered
525 Posts
shovels according to me

I like things to last forever. I really want indestructible tools, I use, and abuse my tools, so I want durability. I use shovels a lot, I wear their point down until it is rounded and the metal thins along the edge. When I have worn the first few inches off the end it has done its duty.

For full sized shovels this is my "generic" take.

Wooden handled shovels, are the lowest low cost, so I have bought my share. Wooden handles, suffer from exposure to the elements, and tend to crack when I misuse them for pry bars. Over time the trend is to reduce the materials cost soo, the handles are only getting wimpier. I have moved on from wooden handled shovels.

Fiberglass handled shovels, this is my new hope for a reasonably priced, long lasting shovel. I believe the fiberglass in most cases covers a regular wooden handle, maybe not. The fiberglass seems to protect the handle from being exposed to the weather. The first two of these are holding up pretty well so far, so maybe I have found good enough. Give me time and I will probably destroy these as well.

Wingless post is the next level, Fiskars all steel shovel. I must admit they look indestructible, however, I have a neighbor that has two with bent handles leaning against his garage. At about 35 bucks each, they had better be good. I would like to hear more from someone that owns and has abused it to know their spin on its durability.

I do have two small (26 inches long overall, weigh between 1-1.5 pounds) D-handled shovels. Rather than spending a zillion bucks to have a small cute shovel for our vehicles emergency kits I bought a small kids size shovel at either Home Depot or Lowes. It is a real tool, just miniature sized for a kid to use. The cost was maybe 7-8 bucks each. I think the small folding shovels are way cute, but too expensive to be practical. I personally would not consider a shovel as an essential part of any backpack arrangement. I don't think camping is about digging, and in a survival situation, a shovel would not be in the top 100 items I would want to have to carry on my back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<snip> I personally would not consider a shovel as an essential part of any backpack arrangement. I don't think camping is about digging, and in a survival situation, a shovel would not be in the top 100 items I would want to have to carry on my back.
NOT in the Top 100?! I think I just spent $27 on a non-essential item.

What about digging a Dakota Fire thingy? Is that TOO a knife job to ya'll? :eek: I am a lot like my daughter, a mini-me, who is afraid of a butter knife.

·
Registered
525 Posts
OOPS

RubberChickenGirl.., you got me, the dreaded fire pit. I guess, without a shovel, I am stuck digging the fire pit with my trusty spoon, right after I finish the tiger pit traps, ha.

If I go camping in the "civilized mode", I either take my "life boat" (an Airstream trailer) or at least take a Coleman stove and tent, to avoid the pagan fire pit and shovel ritual.

If I had to hike (bug out) and stay gone, I would probably have to ditch my ultralite camp stoves. Note, I do not ever plan to bug out, but , theoretically, I would probably be tempted to either pack my Esbit stove or just a can of streno, just in case, no shovel. Where I live their is practically no surface water for a hundred miles, mostly all mountains and rocks, tough fire pit terrain. Soooo all the water needed has to be carried, water becomes the 500 pound gorilla in the room while planning. The weight of water biases me against carrying all the handy little gadgets I might like to take along. I better carry two spoons just in case.

Hmmm, maybe you have convinced me, ...maybe I will have one of my gun bearers pack the shovel, ha.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
They used to sell shovel heads made out of titanium.

The Russians made them, so they could legally export titanium after the fall of the Soviet Union. Most of the shovels were melted down and made into other things, but a few of the shovels survived and I hear they are so well built you could drive over them with a tank and they would be fine...lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts