Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More news about this peanut butter and salmonella outbreak has been released today. Now I am wondering if my peanut butter stocks are safe.

My wife asked me this morning if we should throw our peanut butter away. I suggested sending it back to whoever made it with a note saying that I bought peanut butter, not salmonella.

Is anyone else concerned about the safety of your peanut butter products?

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Plug your product into this database.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm

What we have stocked is not listed however I confirmed production runs and dates for what we have stored. Because we bought it together it was part of the same batch. I opened one and have been eating on it for eight days with no ill affects, after four days I allowed the rest of the family to consume some of it, also with no ill affects.

Because all of our stores are from the same batch run I am fairly confident that none of it is tainted.

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
If you are that concerned, turn the peanut butter into baked goods. Add it to cookies, breads, etc. Stir it into oatmeal and let the stuff come to a boil before you eat it. Pasteurization (bringing it to a temperature significantly below boiling) kills salmonella.

I wouldn't throw it out or send it back, because I know that by doing so it would be wasted, and I absolutely can't stand to see food go to waste.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,351 Posts
Trashed all of mine this weekend. Fortunately I didn't have much so it was no big loss.

·
In Bat Country
1,465 Posts
guys... there is no need to trash anything that is in a jar... the factory that had the contamination sold it commercially to other producers that add it to their product IE think peanut butter crackers or candy.... There is NO indication that any contaminated peanut butter was jarred.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I've had Peter Pan & jelly everyday the last two weeks. I'm feeling good.
I'm hoping there will be some good peanut butter sales soon. I'll stock up.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Nope, not all all. The brands that I bought are not on the list of contaminated goods.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not eating any peanut butter out of protest for the next couple of months. The peanut butter industry will suffer big because now my sister can't make PBJs for lunch and they will lose probably a couple thousand dollars from that.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Even if it is contaminated don't throw it away!!!

PB is a great aid in trapping and it lasts quite a long time unopened. Well beyond the eat by date.

Second use is a fire starter. Burn baby burn. The oil works great and the butter releases more and more until the nut paste burns.

Keep it but mark unfit for human consumption on the lid and move it to the trapping gear or the fuels storage area.

Dont throw out the off the shelf jars. They are good to eat. Only items made with the commercial paste were contaminated.

Google the recall info.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
The wife has to use only organic peanut butter and the stuff I carry to work is Lance which is safe.

Don't throw away that peanut butter save it for next deer season they love it :)

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,351 Posts
Please let me clarify... I said "Trashed all of mine this weekend. Fortunately I didn't have much so it was no big loss."

What that means is... my wife was bugging me about the peanut recall, I checked all our stuff and threw away the following, two packages of Austin cheese and peanut butter crackers I found in the back of the cabinet that I believe were at least a year old (I can't remember the last time we bought any of them) and what was left of a jar of Peter Pan because a: I prefer Jiff, and b: it only had about 2 tablespoons full left in it and someone had dripped grape jelly into it (if you only knew how big of a pet peeve that is for me) and the grape jelly had started to mold.

That's it, we're not big on peanut butter in our house (yes I know it's a great survival food, it is on my list of things to get, judst not real high on the list)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
We're on the same batch of jars of Skippy that I bought 6 months ago, and have been using for quite a while now. If I was going to get sick from it, I think I would have been in the hospital by now. No worries here. By the time I need to restock again, this will be over.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Luckily the peanut butter in my own stock was labeled from Virginia. The recall appears to be limited to the Georgia-based company.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Something just not right about gumming up perfectly good deer with peanut butter, but yeah save it all.

There is a heck of a lot of fire starter in one jar, and if you smear it around it will trap/lure for many months, possibly years.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The only peanut butter anyone needs to be worried/concerned about has been produced by Peanut Corporation of America, PCA, in Georgia.
All of the peanut butter you purchase(d) in jars at the grocery stores is perfectly safe to consume.
The PCA product is used in packaged foodstuffs, cookies, crackers, candy and such and by institutions such as hospitals, long term care facilities and nursing homes.
I eat peanut butter like it's going out of style and I've not had a single sick day for the last several years, there's nothing to be concerned about for your peanut butter sammich, your home made peanut butter cookies or your peanut butter and Saltine crackers. Eat up and enjoy!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts