Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Military service not only gives you the benefit of serving your country, but also teaches you valuable lessons, not only in weapons, survival and self preservation, but on life and values too.

EDIT. Or Sprig's idea: What I would like to see is an incentive program. Perhaps a tax reduction, or other financial benefit for service?

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Military service not only gives you the benefit of serving your country, but also teaches you valuable lessons, not only in weapons, survival and self preservation, but on life and values too.
No. I will say this though...I've learned valuable lessons in life, just by living it. The longer you've been alive...the more you should have learned. I've been through a lot in my life.
As far as values? I learned those from my parents. And my faith.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Yes. At graduation from high school or age 18 if not in school, 2 years of service after training. Two years on the borders and coasts stopping illegal traffic of humans and drugs. Everyone, with the only exception being the bed ridden. Wheel chair bound? You do office work.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Serving in the military these days is hardly serving the country anymore.
The military serves the goverment,as the goverment tries to destroy the country.
We are the country,all the hard working men and women who made this country.
The lovers of freedom and the constitution.

The goverment seems to hate the constitution anymore.

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,788 Posts

EDIT. Or Sprig's idea: What I would like to see is an incentive program. Perhaps a tax reduction, or other financial benefit for service?
I used to think NO but as Ive observed people and how we tend to raise kids these days Ive changed that opinion. I think that a 3 month boot camp for all males at the end of highschool should be compulsary. I think it would do our country a great service to make every able bodied male learn how to get into shape, how to shoot correctly, how to defend themselves in a variety of ways and to give them a curtain ammount of confidence that boot camp can give you. They tear you down then build you back up and in doing so you gain a realization that you CAN do anything if you are willing to put in the work to achieve your goals.

After the 3 month duty they should be allowed to go back to civilian life if they so chose or sign up for duty if they have gained a taste for that type of lifestyle.

I think it would benefit the country greatly.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I believe in our way of life; in the American Constitution. Every word of it. Mandatory service? No!

As someone said: Mandatory anything conflicts with the concept and ideals of freedom of choice; albeit, military service, imo, is often the only structure available to todays youth. There are many benefits to military service. There are often many sacrifices as well...

...and sometimes, they are in vain.

Generation x, if you'll forgive the reference, has imo contributed a great deal to the degeneration of standards that made our nation great. We became lax, liberal minded to the point of complacency and irresponsibility...

We decided to toss off all the ideals and values of our rearing as silly, and antiquated. And it has given way to a generation of youth instilled with a sense of self-entitlement.

We ourselves have become so self-absorbed, so obsessed with material wealth and rampant consumerism, that we've infected our children with a false sense of priorities.

We've long since forgotten our responsibilities and obligations as citizens. That WE are the keepers of our flock, and our Government, accordingly.

It's probably too late for America; it's degenerated to a multi-cultural slurry of sheep-minded zombies who believe their quality of life and welfare is guaranteed to them. And no longer something to strive to achieve. Our Nation is on the verge of implosion.

Perhaps it should be mandatory to be awaken from our slumber. Because the enemy we face now not only threatens to destroy our way of life from without, but from within as well.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,116 Posts
I've thought about this on and off throughout my life. And there are strong points for each side.

The military teaches courage, respect for our country, and most of all, honor. All things this country is sorely in need of right now. It would take a lot of strength out of the left. It would also take a lot of fight out of the gun haters and anti second amendment folks when their side suddenly began understanding not only the facts about guns, but the facts about our country.

On the other side, mandatory service goes against the very foundations of freedom that this country was founded on. And I can only imagine the outcome of any military conflict where the majority of the soldiers didn't want to be in the military in the first place.

So all in all, I'm for incentives galore. Give them good reasons to want to join. But don't make it mandatory. If for no other reason than to protect the lives of those who do.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I have changed my mind on this issue since 1968.
I know too many people that are just not suited for military service. Physically, mentally , emotionally, ..just not built for the life.
Seems the current system is working very well.
I have no problem with serving, it was great for me, but I like the volunteer system.

As for having a problem serving this current crop of corrupt political bums in Wash. DC , I can see your point. Who would you be willing to sacrifice for them? I'm conflicted. I'm leaning more toward getting out of most of these countries and letting them fight it out themselves. They've been fighting for centuries.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used to think it would be a good idea, but I am not sure any more. I believe that my time in the military was very good for me, and taught me a lot. I also believe that there are people who should not serve in the military. I shiver at the thought of a bunch of highly trained gang bangers, who learned how to shoot properly in the military rather than from Hollywood.

That being said, if we had mandatory military service from the beginning, maybe our country would not be in the state that it is in. It seems to work okay for Israel.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Under the current administration, I would be leery of anything of that type being made 'mandatory' for youth participation, as I fear the indoctrination would just be continued. Obama's 'domestic forces' program is scary enough. I don't know exactly what is happening with that, but, I suspect it is out there and thriving - since it was authorized and has been funded under bills put forward since early last year. And, I doubt very much it is just a 'boot camp' type thing where no political issues are discussed/promoted.

I can also appreciate the worries of those who voluntarily enlist to serve their country, of being surrounded by those who are there against their wishes.

While the concept can work reasonably well (Switzerland is an example where everyone does 2 years service still I believe - but they are not in a militarily precarious situation either, Isreal as well - but they live with dangers every day and know that from birth), the turmoil and issues that would go along with that kind of drastic change, would take at least 2 generations to settle down to a 'system' where kids just expect to have to go into service for 2 years after highschool - and it becomes a way of life. I don't think we can afford those 2 generations. :(

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I would expand on this. If you don't pay income taxes you don't vote.
I 100% agree with you on this point - in fact that would be my main criteria, not an expansion (because, at 60 years old, I doubt I am eligible for military service and though I would 'volunteer' to run for office, if every citizen did the same, how much farther ahead are we? lol Can we put everyone on the ballot?).

Can't, for some reason, use the 'thanks' for you on this post though - not sure why - it isn't there. :(

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
hi im in canada and mandatory service was law here not so long ago .
im against any madatory service as it is slavery . plus if you desert you become a criminal witch in my opinion is like leaving an employer thus totally unreasonable.

also im all for the "doing your country a service" problem is that service in the army no longer serves the country!

also know here in Canada when they interview you they tell you that purpose of army is for queen and country , allies interests , peace . problem is that queen and country can often be against each others interests . what comes first ?? ( sure the guy answered country but is it really the case ? wouldn't you be quartered as a treasonous?)

search what quartered means you'll understand what i mean.

Edit : also note that military service is also a form of indoctrination same as schools and TV .

1 - 20 of 209 Posts