Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Save a life; carry a gun.
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kurt Saxon coined the term survivalist about thirty-five years ago. Everyone knew what it meant as soon as they heard it. Survivalists were the people who spent the time and money to insure that they survived. There may have been some who didn't like guns; but I never met one. There may have been some who were liberal; but I never met one. The people I did meet were planning to survive, and were willing to see the elephant if push came to shove.

Of course, the media hated us. We were all White, predominantly male, and much worse for them, informed and intelligent. They've tried to smear us since the Carter years; but we're still here, older, but generally richer and even better informed.

Now we hear about preppers. They buy extra food, start a garden, and worry about the world. They seem to either not buy weapons, or to be a bit apologetic about it. All they really seem to wish is to make survivalists appear to be psychotics.

I first read the term prepper in a liberal news article. This article and many others that followed were mildly approving of preppers, particularly in comparing them to survivalists. It's as if the media and their academic and government allies are tying to co-opt survivalism, replacing survivalists with pseudosurvivalists, thereby destroying the former.

It's not a conspiracy. It's simply liberal minds liking the same thing. It's also liberal minds disliking the same thing; and they really dislike a group noted for arms, a fair degree of wealth or the ambition to get it, and most of all, for not needing the government or believing the liberal media.

The survivalist should be very suspicious of the individual calling himself a prepper. If you ask him why he prefers that term, you won't like the answer, not if you're a survivalist planning to survive.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Kurt Saxon coined the term survivalist about thirty-five years ago. Everyone knew what it meant as soon as they heard it. Survivalists were the people who spent the time and money to insure that they survived. There may have been some who didn't like guns; but I never met one. There may have been some who were liberal; but I never met one. The people I did meet were planning to survive, and were willing to see the elephant if push came to shove.

Of course, the media hated us. We were all White, predominantly male, and much worse for them, informed and intelligent. They've tried to smear us since the Carter years; but we're still here, older, but generally richer and even better informed.

Now we hear about preppers. They buy extra food, start a garden, and worry about the world. They seem to either not buy weapons, or to be a bit apologetic about it. All they really seem to wish is to make survivalists appear to be psychotics.

I first read the term prepper in a liberal news article. This article and many others that followed were mildly approving of preppers, particularly in comparing them to survivalists. It's as if the media and their academic and government allies are tying to co-opt survivalism, replacing survivalists with pseudosurvivalists, thereby destroying the former.

It's not a conspiracy. It's simply liberal minds liking the same thing. It's also liberal minds disliking the same thing; and they really dislike a group noted for arms, a fair degree of wealth or the ambition to get it, and most of all, for not needing the government or believing the liberal media.

The survivalist should be very suspicious of the individual calling himself a prepper. If you ask him why he prefers that term, you won't like the answer, not if you're a survivalist planning to survive.
Oh puhleeze.
This is a hostile diatribe the likes I've seen on the Mommy boards.

I want everyone to be a prepper.
If they can take care of themselves in a minor emergency situation, it eases the burden for EVERYONE and the need for the government to come stick their nose in the communities business!

It is that much better for every one in a national hardcore emergency also. Common sense!

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Now to answer your question, I call myself prepper because I have not entered the ranks of survivalist.
I don't know how to do a lot of things that survivalists do. I have never even been camping except as a child and I don't remember it.

Storing food, learning about herbs, how to survive attacks, purify water, bake stuff solarly, defend ourselves as best as we can - that's what prepping is to me at this stage in my life.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
I don't care what people "call" themselves. I'm a survivalist - but when I'm trying to talk to other home school moms, or soccer moms or a local church group about Preparedness Activities then I'll probably use the term "prepper" as a way to ease them in to thinking about the concept of being prepared without having to worry about what they are thinking if I use the term "survivalist". It's all a means to an end the way I see it - without getting lost in semantics.

I know when I approached our church about starting the first ever community garden to teach people gardening skills, I certainly didn't say it was good survivalist training, but did say that it was good for teaching "emergency preparedness skills" in today's society and economy - - - -

I know lots of people who call themselves preppers who are very well armed and find no need to apologize about it and are as hard core as many who call themselves survivalists.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i answered this basically in another thread. i am a prepper not a survivalist. I wake up every day and survive. i survive 400 idiots on the road when i drive to the store. I survive if i replace a wall outlet in the house w/o electrocuting my self. I survive if i tell the wife her ass looks big in those jeans!! iits just day to day life. to me its a mindset that just is. im gonna survive or die trying what ever gets thrown at me but i dont think its neccasarily a concious thing. i was taught to make the best out of anything.
I prep for what may occur that isnt a day to day item. i.e earthquake, emp what ever
so i am a prepper.. hope that makes sense. if it dont then maybe i am crazy but im comfy with that:p

·
Survivor
303 Posts
Yea I do have to say i think its important to do more than stock up... Its important to have extra food and supplies but you should go camping fishing hunting whatever even if for just a day or 2 so your able to practice and learn some skills as well as being comfortable enough to be out in the wild. you may have all the supplies in the world but it can be destroyed, stolen, and ect which will be very possible if the S does htf . and then your left with nothing. Personally i think bushcraft is a very important part of prepparing.

·
Survivor
303 Posts
I want to learn to hunt and fish. Trust me, I do.
I haven't had the opportunity yet in my twenty some odd years, but I am hoping this summer is different.
just go fishing on your day off. you really have to only stay as long as you want/can. The more times your fishing the better youll become and the more youll be able to provide later.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Of course you can. It is the (small minded) sociological need for people to fit themselves or others into a 'box' (no matter how against boxes they claim they are) that says they can't be, and that there is something wrong if you are other.
I think that "other" is how most people coming to settle in America would describe themselves over the centuries. Didn't start getting bad until we were pressured to be either box A or box B. Uniformity is death, IMO. That is why I make up my own mind, heed my own advice, and don't listen to others too well.

Being philosophically set in concrete doesn't allow the flexibility to adapt, and adaptation is what survival is all about. Doesn't mean you can't have values. Just pick your battles. Strategy & tactics are not confined to battlefields.

If we feel a "sociological need" to "belong" then let it be to our own families and friends. FDR's New Deal was the great undoing of our social and family structure, morals, and self-pride. When he convinced the nation that the government would provide for them during the Great Depression he removed the great motivator that each of us was born with; the survival instinct. It may have been a Liberal Democrat program but the Republicans have proven to be every bit their equal in demagogery.

For those foolish enough to still believe that they can get something for nothing, look around and see what you have acheived. What you have lost.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I'm comfortable with either term. Especially since neither one have a formalized definition. I'm not a naturally trusting person anyway, so I will only trust someone based on that one person's characteristics. I'm just as likely to distrust a survivalist. Especially some of the "I'll do anything to survive, including killing you for your supplies" types that I've seen on these boards. Come to think of it, I'm probably more likely to trust preppers because of that single factor!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I never got all that excited as to wether or not someone regarded me as a prepper or survivalist....I prep for emergencys as best I'm able to.
My wife is considerably older than I am....And I'm 60...so there is NO bugging out for us...were staying right here in our home and on our property.
We're reasonably well prepared for a SHTF situation.Arms,munitions,beans,grub,water,barterable skills,supplies of all kinds....I dont know what else I can provide for us...except more of the same.

Sanity will be the order of the day first and foremost...then the stuff we've accumulated will be of use accordingly.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.