Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buy a Saiga instead? OK acutally Saiga(s). I have read a lot of opinions here and elsewhere and there seems to be a marginal difference between the M1A and Saiga in .308, especially given the price. The big reason is price. I could have another 12 Ga, get a .223 and still have a .308 for the same price or even a little less. Is this just a stupid idea (don't hold back, it wouldn't be the first time I made one)?

·
Registered
350 Posts
This question is really something you should be asking yourself, not others. I personally would never give up an M1A in exchange for a Saiga...but that is me. I happen to have an immense appreciation for the M1A and only a mild appreciation for the Saiga. If you feel that your prefer a Saiga to an M1A, then by all means...but again, I would recommend keeping the M1A.

--Wintermute

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am asking myself, but having a hard time, mostly because I want more guns than I can afford. I think that like a lot of people I am justing getting anxious with the way everything is. I don't know anyone else who has shot Saiga's personally. Maybe this is telling me something.

I probably should just get a Saiga .223 in addition and be done with it. Look like a great deal at just over $300.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
If you have no problems with your M1 then keep it.

Just for fun check out the Saiga forums and see what your going to be getting into.
Heres one:
http://forum.saiga-12.com/

My opinion is that the M1 is in a whole different league than a saiga.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Keep the M1A.

Reactions: kajunman1

·
Registered
559 Posts
It is always appealing to sell one firearm to fund a few more but 10 years from now you will regret getting rid of a one of the best battle rifles ever made to fund some mass produced russian rifles.

A friend of mine has a saiga in 7.62x39 and has not had any problems and likes the rifle a lot.

I would wait and just save your money for the Saiga so you can have both.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I could have another 12 Ga, get a .223 and still have a .308 for the same price or even a little less. Is this just a stupid idea (don't hold back, it wouldn't be the first time I made one)?
Years ago I had a similar idea. After a number of years of wheeling, dealing, and bargain shopping I ended up with a a room full of firearms. Then common sense took over and I realized you can't carry or use more than one. If I had to bug out, it would take 25 arm loads to get all the guns and ammo out of the house, and my truck would be full. I'd starve to death with plenty of rifles at hand.

You have a reliable rifle with all the accuracy you'll ever need. Buy a single back up in the same caliber (FAL) just in case, and forget quantity.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I could see dropping the M1a IF and only IF you were dropping the .308 caliber.
Say you were changing your MBR caliber from .308 to .223. Then sure, go ahead and swap it out, other than that...keep the M1a.
Peter

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Let's think about this, you are considering on selling a used classic firearm in a market when prices are down on everything because we are in a recession. Then you will purchase a weapon of far less quality at full retail to replace it. :xeye:

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I have a Saiga 7.62x39. Very happy with the rifle.

If I were you I would sell the M1 and buy the Saigas. It seems to me the M1s are over priced. Both the M1 and Saiga 7.62x51 go bang, shoot accurately and are reliable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I think that gives me a pretty good idea of what people think.

Would a Saiga be inherently better in 7.62x39 than .223 because it is an AK platform? Or does this not matter?

I'm keeping the M1A BTW.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Yes sell it!Sell it now to me for really cheap!

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Well, I think that gives me a pretty good idea of what people think.

Would a Saiga be inherently better in 7.62x39 than .223 because it is an AK platform? Or does this not matter?

I'm keeping the M1A BTW.
I don't think it matters...though I'd go with the Valmet instead of Siaga for .223...
Peter

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
buy a Saiga instead? OK acutally Saiga(s). I have read a lot of opinions here and elsewhere and there seems to be a marginal difference between the M1A and Saiga in .308, especially given the price. The big reason is price. I could have another 12 Ga, get a .223 and still have a .308 for the same price or even a little less. Is this just a stupid idea (don't hold back, it wouldn't be the first time I made one)?
where do you shop for guns hoffmans or someplace else.I know the northwest hills pretty well.What town are you from.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The big question is how many guns can you shoot at one time? I have more guns than I need. However I typically go for the select few, time and again. The M1A is a good gun, solid, reliable.

The fact is go with what you are comfortable with and what, works for you everyone has an opinion likes and dislikes, it boils down to when you leave the house for the range or whatever, what guns do you take with you more often then not. My choice heading out the door would not be yours.

I have a friend who has the ugliest modal 10 you have ever seen in your life, people always ask him when he is going to replace it. After hew gets done shooting they shut up and do not say another word.

It is never the equipment, it is the guy or gal using the equipment that makes the difference. The most dangerous gun on the planet is they one in the hands of the guy who knows how to use it. Not the coolest one, or the guy who owns the most.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts