Survivalist Forum banner

Should I paint the stocks of my Mosin-Nagant handout rifles?

• No, it will destroy their historical value

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • No, if color matters, attackers are too close for Mosin to be effective

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • No, you could buy more Mosins with the money

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • No, the people will set them down and misplace them if they are camouflaged

• No, painting guns is for girls

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Yes, paint them blaze orange so they don't lose them

• Yes, it will provide necessary concealment

• Yes, they will look modern and it will be good for morale

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Only if they are pink, with Hello Kitty decals and the motto "Girl Power!"

• If this is your biggest concern, you need to learn to prioritize

Votes: 16 32.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to stockpile Mosin-Nagant model 91/30 rifles as hand-outs for when SHTF. I will briefly outline why:

1) They are cheap.

2) They fire full-power rifle rounds.

3) They are indestructible.

4) The manual of arms is simple and intuitive.

5) They can be used to hold attackers at bay at significant range.

6) They are too unwieldy and have too slow a rate of fire to be used to stage a mutiny.

These are specifically to be issued to unproven and untrained personnel. They will be issued daily, and collected, along with all of the ammunition, when the shift is over.

The personnel to whom they are issued will be accountable to others who are armed with semi-auto carbines. As these people prove trustworthy, they will be upgraded from Mosins to semi-autos.

So... the question is, should I paint these Mosins the same way I have painted many of my semi-auto carbines (action and barrel remain unpainted)?

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
I have decided to stockpile Mosin-Nagant model 91/30 rifles as hand-outs for when SHTF. I will briefly outline why:

1) They are cheap.

2) They fire full-power rifle rounds.

3) They are indestructible.

4) The manual of arms is simple and intuitive.

5) They can be used to hold attackers at bay at significant range.

6) They are too unwieldy and have too slow a rate of fire to be used to state a mutiny.

These are specifically to be issued to unproven and untrained personnel. They will be issued daily, and collected, along with all of the ammunition, when the shift is over.

The personnel to whom they are issued will be accountable to others who are armed with semi-auto carbines. As these people prove trustworthy, they will be upgraded from Mosins to semi-autos.

So... the question is, should I paint these Mosins the same way I have painted many of my semi-auto carbines (action and barrel remain unpainted)?
sure if you have no respect that while cheap they are historical antiques. and in 20 years u won't find them to be common. And because of you you destroyed and collocter value they may have

lol you have your own little community worked out, I see good luck with that.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I wouldn't bother painting a mosin since they aren't worth the effort to make pretty. If you have enough of them to get confused however, a stenciling a 1/2/3 etc on the buttstock makes sense.

·
The Mountaineer
66 Posts
I voted for no, but if it would boost morale of trainees, then it would be a plus.
If you have your own color scheme to identify your rifles at a glance,
then you could reverse the colors on the camo pattern for 91/30s.
Personally, I'd just save the money and buy more ammo though.
I look for ammo to be outlawed way before they try and repeal the 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I personally would leave them as is. They have worked fine as is all these years in all climates. Besides they retain character when kept as they were issued. My two have been left alone.

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts
I decided to get the synthetic stock to check the weight reduction and I have to say, I'm really happy with it. That said, I can put the wood stock back on at any point if I decide I need to, but I really don't see why I would.

Please note: This example pic has a barrel/clamp bi-pod mounted as something of a joke. This mount is not recommended with your Nuggets and you should use something that attaches to the lower stock instead.

·
Always have an exit
3,711 Posts
You like to tinker?

Do what you want, it is your plan and money. I buy guns to shoot and not for collecting or historic value. If and when TSHTF all weapons will increase in value regardless of type.

I have modified a few Mosin Nagants and will do some more this winter.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
If you want to. I have 1. Would like to buy 2 or 3 more. I plan on putting one of the synthetic stocks on one because I can and I think it looks good. A great hand-out gun as you say and a good bolty. Hey 17 million of them were made. If you jack one up, someone will have a stock out there for cheap.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
sure if you have no respect that while cheap they are historical antiques. and in 20 years u won't find them to be common. And because of you you destroyed and collocter value they may have

lol you have your own little community worked out, I see good luck with that.
Only small goups have any real value. There have been over 20 MILLION 91/30's made alone. Most of them are just Rifles.

Paint away, just confirm you are not painting a Westinghouse or something like that. This is not the 7.62X54r.net group. No issues here.

HH54r

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I like the way duracoat turns out, having just tried it.
If it keeps the rust down and can be easily touched up, and your not fussy about the rifle. Then why not? It is your rifle. I don't think it's going to matter either way.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Do what you want to do with your rifles.
My personal preference... I enjoy the historical aspect of these old war horses and I keep them original, right down to the dings and scratches.
I suppose, if things go belly up, they could be painted in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I vote no, I just don't think it would be worth your time/effort. But they're your rifles..... is the juice worth the squeeze?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello,

I would make sure each one shoots to point of aim, then accurize to at least 2.5MOA with good surplus or handloads.

If you have time/money left over, then maybe paint them. They're earth tones as is, so they are already camo, if that's your concern.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Also, they're not too slow rate-of-fire to state a mutiny. If you are looking for something like that, get some Enfield .410 Muskets.

Josh

·
Unemployed Philosopher
375 Posts
Those things look like Civil War cannons...

If you really want to do something to make them less visible, wrap that 100ft long barrel w/ burlap to break up the outline.

And if you think bolt actions are slow Google up the "British Mad Minute".

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'd leave them alone. Make sure each one shoots OK, clean them up well, and make sure the sight are working good.

I don't think your shift idea will work too well. Do what naval ships do, issue them when they're needed. If you can't trust someone with a firearm, there is no good time to give them a firearm, unless a 3rd party is knocking at your door.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd say go for the camo to improve morale, mostly. Make them more likely to think that they're being well equipped.
Keeping them happy will prevent a mutiny better than keeping them poorly equipped.

However, the idea that they couldn't be used for a mutiny is ridiculous.
It only takes one surprise shot* to take out the guard/supervisor (especially with a mosin ^.^), and then they have the guard's gun.

*or butt-stroke, or stab with a bayonet, or bribe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts