Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
With the ammo availability right now, I would. 6.5 has been in stock when others are not. The stress level would also be lower since it is not a hi cap semi auto that you think you need to stock thousands of rounds to be normal.
Shoots distance flatter than 308 or 30-06. If you are not already set up for distance in more "traditional" calibers, it may be easier to learn.
If it takes away from your other preps, I wouldn't. We are on the edge of history right now. If you are not ready for months of hardships and violence that may or may not reach your door, skip it.

Also good for barter if things go waaay south and you have at least some ammo for it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Great addition, leadcounsel! I just got into 6.5creedmoor recently as well. In a Savage 110. I’ve found early on that mine likes the 140’s over the 129’s, but it’s early. And the 129’s are ok for trigger pulling.
Yes, ammo has been seen and available at $1.10 to $2+ a round, depending on loading. I really like the Hornady ELD-M, but after tax it’s about $1.65/rd. Depends on budget, but to me that’s fairly pricey.
Best of luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
312 Posts
With the ammo availability right now, I would. 6.5 has been in stock when others are not.
Ever since Walmart stopped selling 9mm and 5.56 I have had to go to the academy sports store which is about 30 minutes away vs 5 for walmart. Every trip in the last few months they have some boutique calibers and always plenty of 6.5 creedmore.

Weirdly enough my local walmart has huge stock of .308. Decent ammo which is $18 for a box of 20. And of course plenty of 6.5 creedmore hunting rounds.

But if the optic is a great deal I hope you went for it.

·
Adventurer
869 Posts
What’s the Recent Excitement of 6.5 Creedmor All About?

When .243 has been around forever..... and 243 is sold everywhere for less per round....

I checked out the ballistics and it would seem .243 is a tad better.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
354 Posts
When .243 has been around forever..... and 243 is sold everywhere for less per round....

Am I missing something?
Creedmoor is put up against .308, not the .243.

One is designed around a 90g bullet and the other a 140g bullet.

I love and shoot a ton of 243 and out to 500, they are balistically, about the same. After that, like the 308, the Creed is simply better.

If these thing were done properly the Creed would be up against a .260. Anything off of the 308 case is an amazing round. Same goes for the 6mm family of rounds. Impressive accuracy, soft shooting,,with enough offerings to kill every big game animal in the Western Hemisphere.

The surge in 6mm has breathed life into old round like the 243, 257 Robert's and the 260...beautifully designed rounds to be honest.

·
That'll be the day...
3,463 Posts
I have been intrigued by the Creedmoor for years, but never pulled the proverbial trigger.

I have two, super fantastic guns in my safe....

1. .243 Win
2. .270 Win

With those two dudes available and a ton of ammo for both, I just never purchased a Creedmoor.

The big question is.... If I didn't own those two guns, and needed something in that caliber range.....would I buy a 6.5CM????

Super tough to answer that question. I think I would still buy a 270, 'cause its ballistics are crazy good and ammo is available everywhere.... even a mom and pop grocery store, way out in the country sells 270 Win.

A 270 with a light bullet is great for coyotes, but with a 150gr.... great for Elk.

Hard to argue with Jack O'Connor.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,616 Posts

Am I missing something?
The 243 has a light bullet with lots of energy. It works well for white tail, most of the time. But since it is also used for varmints, some 243 bullets expand ralidly, and suffers bullet failure.

Various 6.5mm cartridges have been used for big game hunting for over 100 yrs. Bullets in that caliber are constructed for big game.

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
All of the bullets listed in this thread have so little difference in 0-400 yards performance, on deer size game, that it’s a paper pushers argument of numbers.

The 6.5CM has a some advantages over the other rounds.

1. Easy AR-10 set up (along with .308)
2. BC bullets choices start to deal with wind better after 800 yards
3. Factory ammo for target and hunting has a lot of choices and is available (even now in my sleepy west TX town)

It is also a easy round to reload and is not finicky with component choices/combos.

I enjoy the 6.5CM. I own two bolt guns and one gas gun in the caliber. I’ve taken three animals with the round. 140gr SST, my loads, have been one shot harvests. The gas gun is a 1/4 MOA rifle at 100 yards with Hornady black ammo.

If you already own a .270/.243/.308/30.06/260, only hunt 1-2 times a year, at ranges under 400 yards, then the 6.5CM is more a want than a need. If you’re looking for a gas gun, then it’s definitely the way to go.

If I had to start over and wanted two rounds to use for hunting the rest of my life, I’d choose the 6.5CM and 300PRC.

If I was going to choose only one round for a one gun arsenal it would be a .308.

YMMV

·
Banned
164 Posts
Do you have a place with enough distance to make a 6.5 Creedmoor better than something else?

Do you have the skill to shoot at this distance or the desire to invest the time and $$$ to get this skill.

Seems to me buy and flip is most attractive

·
Bear Fighter
1,496 Posts
Hard to argue with Jack O'Connor.

Well, yeah . . . he's kinda dead. :rolleyes:

the .270 was the 6.5 Creedmoor of the '30s and '40s, when everyone else was out there with their ubiquitous .30/06s and .30-30s. It's an awesome round, but Jack O'Connor made it legendary, and legitimate.

·
That'll be the day...
3,463 Posts
Had to pick up some gas jugs at Walmart this morning. Decided to walk by the gun desk.

Ammo racks were 75% empty..... but..... A lot of the following....

243 win
270 win
30'06
30-30

Prices were $17 to $26 a box.

There were a couple of boxes of 7mm Mag, 300WSM and 44 Mag.

No Creedmoor at all.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Had to pick up some gas jugs at Walmart this morning. Decided to walk by the gun desk.

Ammo racks were 75% empty..... but..... A lot of the following....

243 win
270 win
30'06
30-30

Prices were $17 to $26 a box.

There were a couple of boxes of 7mm Mag, 300WSM and 44 Mag.

No Creedmoor at all.

.......because....AR's.

The .243 chamber can be found in a big AR. But it isn't really a thing for most people, as the bullet weights are only a little better than what's available for AR 15's in various chamberings.

There are a few AR's in the 30-06/.270 case length action. But they are rare and expensive.

And 30-30 is a lever gun round that fits in a very few bolt guns or break actions.

So yes, you will find those cartridges for sale after everything else is bought up. Because fewer people want them, and they need fewer of them to feed the bolt actions in which they are usually used.:thumb:

If you are basing a gun buy opinion on what's in the stores...NOW....you already missed the boat.

·
That'll be the day...
3,463 Posts

If you are basing a gun buy opinion on what's in the stores...NOW....you already missed the boat.
Wrong.... A buy today, should be based upon available ammo. A great, and affordable gun isn't worth a ducks dic, if you don't have ammo.

And a guy that buys a 243 or a 270 today... can buy a ton of ammo..... even in Walmart.

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
I today’s ammo/gun world, I don’t take any one day’s in stock as a reason to make a decision on anything either way.

As an example, my local Academy (they stock it all) had 300 Weatherby, 300 PRC, 300 Savage, .243, 30.30, 6.5 Creedmoor in stock this weekend. There wasn’t any real selection of bullet choices or weights.

There was no 270, 30.06, .308 or 223.

Their stock changes from day to day based on stock received and time of day. It’s deer reason in a month. The Joepocalypse is looming.

I’m not sure what my next rifle should be?

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Wrong.... A buy today, should be based upon available ammo. A great, and affordable gun isn't worth a ducks dic, if you don't have ammo.

And a guy that buys a 243 or a 270 today... can buy a ton of ammo..... even in Walmart.

Wrong.
You entirely missed the point.
You should have already BOUGHT the rifles you "need". If you are buying NOW, you apparently missed the entire last two decades of warning signs and market fluctuations.

The only thing you should be buying now at the prices demanded for them and the ammo, is rifles you "want", which should not be based on other peoples' sloppy seconds and left overs at the ammunition counter.:cool:

If you failed to plan...then MAYBE one could argue you should get whatever you can.
But as 002S mentions, what YOU see at YOUR stores isn't what I see at MY stores, and what we see this week, ain't what we'll see next week.

I saw ZERO small rifle primers for a month. Then a few weeks ago, I bought a box of 1000 at 3 different stores. This last weekend...back to zero. Next weekend? Maybe they'll have them again.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What's the allure for a scope with a BDC reticle? MIL or MOA is much more practical.
The BDC offers a visual que on the optic for quick target acquisition. If you are zeroed at 100, then the first drop is say 200, next is say 300, etc.

A normal cross or v-plex or whatever provides no similar reference.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts