Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smokin' good deal on a 6.5 Creedmore Savage 12 with the accutrigger, with a big optic in my A.O. that I'm shocked has not sold by now. I'd mostly want to buy it for the optic, given the price point. The package is basically all near new with extras at less than 1/2 off retail. It's an optic I'd frankly want on my .300 Win Mag.

I don't have a single round of that caliber. But it got me thinking, I'd buy it for the optic and then have another gun to sell or put a smaller optic on it.

I'm flush in long range guns. I've got several in many calibers including .270, 7mm WSM, 8mm Mauser, .308, .3006, .300WM, and more. Piles of ammo for these.

I don't think the 6.5 does anything for me and is just redundant but I don't know...

My plan is to buy the optic, get a nearly free rifle, and throw a smaller 3-9x40 or something on it. And, keep in mind, I have zero rounds on hand for it.

What does the crowd say?
* Skip
* Buy and flip the rifle
* Buy and keep the rifle - is it redundant, and I don't have a single round of ammo...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like you talked yourself into it (at least for the optic).

The next question you were alluding to was keep or flip. Well, can you answer the following? Do you have a place to store it? Is there any 6.5CM ammo in your area? If you don’t have space or if you cannot find ammo, there would be little point in keeping it. Otherwise, it is a pretty good round to shoot, and has become quite common compared to some of the other rounds you mentioned. It isn’t milsurplus common, but it is a common round.

·
Bear Fighter
1,493 Posts
I've always been an advocate of buying a rifle because, rifle.

When it's a smoking deal, git 'r done

That's an awesome scope, and at that price you're essentially getting a free rifle out of the deal. I don't know if I'd throw a scope on there that won't give you the same distance, though, as that caliber will reach out and touch something. Yeah, it won't hit as hard as your 300 mag, and I can't speak to it's success (yet), but both my son and my wife will be packing the 6.5 CM this fall for deer season.

I say go for it.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,595 Posts
Yes, you should buy the rifle. It is much easier to learn long range accuracy with a low recoil rifle.

Shoot a couple thousand rounds thru a 22-250, and you are ready to work up a 6.5 CM, put a couple thousand more rounds thru it, and you should be ready for your 300 Win Mag.

That would leave you with three really nice long range guns, I see no reason to maintain the others, except as basic field guns.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Get it. Your rationale is good, and you may find out you like the 6.5.

6.5 has a lot less recoil than many of the cartridges you have.

6.5 is inherently more accurate than most of what you have. Not saying “hitting deer in the kill zone” accurate, they’ll all do that, I’m talking hitting the X on the deer, and doing it more consistently.

6.5 has “enough” range, but some of your cartridges have more effective range. 6.5 will shoot 1000 meters, more repeatably than many of those, with less recoil....but it does it with more drop and less energy on target.

I wouldn’t hunt elk at 500 meters with 6.5, even though I’m sure I could hit it, and I know it would probably work.
But the 300 Win mag would hit it, and kill it. I still probably wouldn’t shoot it that far out...but I know it would get it done if I needed it to be done.

·
Registered
34,319 Posts
I buy all nearly free rifles.

If nothing else you can sell the upper. (Last year I was buying $400 AR's nobody wanted and selling the parts for more than the cost.)

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,605 Posts
I would get it in a heart beat. Love their Accu-trigger. I like reloading for the 6.5 Creedmoor as well.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought the rifle. Near as I can tell it's barely been shot. Heavy barrel

Now in the hunt for some 6.5 ammo. Going to try to lay back a stock of it.

For those that are familiar, what was the 2019 going rate for this ammo, and what is good, fair, and high prices per round at the moment?

I'm seeing about $1.30 per round right now...

Attachments

·
Bear Fighter
1,493 Posts

For those that are familiar, what was the 2019 going rate for this ammo, and what is good, fair, and high prices per round at the moment?

That's not out of line. Some cheaper "all around" ammo for practice and hunting would be some Remington Cor-Lokt 140gr, picked some up for just about $23/box. I've also found some Winchester 130gr and Hornady American Whitetail 129gr at sub $20 prices (trying all the brands to see what works best). Federal Premium can go for about $40+ per box, depending on if it's Barnes or Berger bullets.

Now's the time to buy, as all the pre-hunting season sales are hot and heavy.

It's cheaper, of course, to reload ;)

·
Registered
34,319 Posts

why keep it?

Thought the point was to get the scope for another rifle?

Put it up for trade.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,605 Posts

Walmarts around here are selling 60 round boxes for $43. Not the best ammo but the brass is good. The bullets are seated a little deep for good accuracy.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I have heard nothing but great things about the 6.5 Creedmore round itself. Makes me kind of have to not think about it or else I'd find myself out there hunting for one also. I also have plenty of deer sized rifles already. Perhaps I have an addiction?

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,386 Posts

Before this current ammo crunch, it was quite common (in my area) to pay $12.85 per 20 rnd box of Winchester Whitetail, in brick/ mortar stores.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts