Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a generalized question, it may be more specific to myself. But this has been bugging me for a few weeks now.

Given the... impermanence of relationships, how do you decide how much information is too much information to disclose to people closest to you? I think everyone wants to trust their friends, their significant others, but what if they end up becoming an enemy?

----

The personal aspect of this question this. For the past few years I've not really been too worried about the casual and obviously joking "Hey, when the Zombie Apocalypse happens - I'm gonna be ready for it," conversation (often to ease in to the suggestion that they prepare for things as well.)

I've only one one occasion revealed details such as what I have stockpiled, what I plan on doing ICE, where anything is, etc. But people that have proven themselves to be untrustworthy know I have a game plan. They may not know what the plan is, but they know I have one. Do you know what I mean? Once the idea is out there, is there a way to retract it? It's kind of hard to go "Oh, I was just kidding." when someone is no longer in your immediate life. I think once they know you prep, they know you prep.

I worry because there's essentially nothing to stop these people from coming to my house and "investigating" if I have anything useful if "s" ever were to "htf". This bothers me because holding down the fort would have been a much better option in this area beforehand.

Summary: A few enemies know at best that I have a stockpile of ammunition and a few guns. The ex knows the rest. About how worried should I be of these people WROL?/Is there anything I can do about it?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not to worry. I refuse to allow any SHTF events to happen until after the Stanley Cup Playoffs are over. Boston and Vancouver are in a 2-2 series tie and game 5 currently on the big screen after 2 periods is in a 0-0 tie. Go Bruins :thumb:

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,250 Posts
My prepping is on a need to know basis. If they don't have a specific need to know, they don't. Simple as that.

The only people in my life that know I prep are those who are in the survival group with me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the shtf ever happens, those people you have mentioned may be the least of your worries. The strangers that may come knocking may be a lot more vicious than them. Don't worry yourself to death thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you think you're being watched and want to convince them that you're not worth the trouble, consider hiding your goodies in plain sight. Gray man. Misdirection. Be seen "selling your toys off" in pawn shops. Any good storage units nearby you trust? Might want to put your extra preps there in old moving boxes labeled "shoes" and "attic" and "bric-a-brac" or whatever you call it where you are. Throw some old but nicely folded clothes on top of the pile, a couple stacks of newspapers, and some broken furniture. Carry your long guns in a golf club bag, and don't wear Glock t-shirts. Use book bags instead of Maxpedition Murses. Stuff like that.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,683 Posts
just a little tip. Enemies may rat you out to the "authorites" as to what your stockpile consists of. Start relocating your stash to a place known only to you. Maybe a prepaid storage unit in a rural county.

But always leave "throw downs" behind for "confiscation". Your least favorite firearm. a couple of hundred rounds, one month of food, an old (not working) shortwave radio you get for $25 on Ebay, etc. Something you can leave behind without seriously hurting you. And things that "authorities" (or Raiders) will feel satisfied stealing from you.

Start talking openly about changing your philosophy regarding mobility if SHTF. Imply that you want only that which can be stuffed into one car-load. Nobody will believe you got rid of all your supplies, but may believe your whittled it down for ease of portability. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
"Confess" to someone in that group that your financial situation is a disaster, that you've been living off your food storage and that you are worried because your are running out of everything. If they seem interested mentioned you've had to pawn some of your stuff. If they seem concerned and offer help then you know they are ok, if not then they will think you don't have anything worth stealing. Don't "confess" to everyone because they will know there is something fishy with your story, just chose the nosiest one.

·
Banned
12,043 Posts
I know many around here would have you believe that every neighbor and passerby is going to try and murder you. But it's just paranoia. People aren't going to follow you from Walmart because you mentioned there is a case of Spam at your house either.

·
survivalist in training
1,954 Posts
I know many around here would have you believe that every neighbor and passerby is going to try and murder you. But it's just paranoia. People aren't going to follow you from Walmart because you mentioned there is a case of Spam at your house either.
Every neighbor and passerby might not, but one might...and that's the one you have to worry about. Problem is, no one knows who that "one" is going to be.

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts
YEs i'd love to brag to people about how many awesome guns i have, the thousands of rounds of ammo, years worth of food, water, cool little gadgets etc. But I don't, and for that exact reason to why your postin. The ONLY people that know are my family, and i have talked to them about not saying a word, and why thats a good idea not too.

I'm afraid thats its one of those situations where the damage has already been done and theres not TOO much u can do, I might try what the other members suggested because its worth a shot.. Better than nothing.
GL tho!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I know what you are talking about because I know have an ex-boyfriend that knows all my super secrets. I get where you are going with this. I also wonder what may happen in that event. He is after all stronger then I. I on the other hand have all the weapons and ammo.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Yep you've got a lot to worry about. The fewer people who know you prep the better. It's the old genie thing and the bottle again, once out can't be put back.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
I wouldnt trust in anyone, unless you want to die for them.

The best way to keep a secret is to not speak about it at all, not even remotely round the edges, then you wont fall into the trap of letting anything slip.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,656 Posts
If your plan is compromised, change your plan.

Reactions: Hunter Rose

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If anyone asks, shake your head sadly. "I had a few things put away--guns, ramen noodles--but when the economy got bad I had to sell the guns and eat the food. It worries me sometimes because all I've got is maybe one day's worth of food and no guns at all. I really miss my guns."

Second method: While casually encountering those you've mentioned preps to, appear morose and worried. "Guys, I'm sorry I'm so out of it. I had to sell my XXX gun to pay the rent/mortgage/doctor bill. It's really bad. I'm down to nothing."

Generally spread the news that things are very bad with you, and act the part.

P.S.: Don't buy any $200 shoes. That will definitely blow your cover.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Your question goes to the root of all relationships. Trust.

How do you trust someone?
If you give them information that you consider private and they tell everyone you then learn not to trust them with any more information.

Same with all other aspects of life, like love or money.
You give a little and see if they reciprocate.

If not you keep it to yourself and move on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts