Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pump-Shotgun Wedding

There's no reason NOT to have at least one shotgun around if you're a serious prepper or survivalist.. Since there are so many excellent new shotguns available for well under $250 out there it's hard to pick just one!

Here's a few that are currently available:

Savage-Stevens 320 is a Winchester 1300 clone with accessories offered on shotguns costing nearly 10x as much:

Savage-Stevens 350 is a Ithaca Model 37 clone that's built like a Abrams tank:

H&R Pardner Pump is a Remington 870 clone with a few improvements:

Maverick Model 88 is a Mossberg 500 clone with a different safety location for a great price and made in USA:

Mossberg 500. No pic necessary..

All of these shotguns are available in different barrel lengths and configurations, and typically have many accessories to to suit your specific shooting needs. It's a good idea to increase the versatility of your SG by having a spare barrel with choke tubes for wing shooting birds and waterfowl, and an 18" cylinder choke barrel for things that go "BUMP" at 3am. or blasting a deer for dinner

·
Registered
620 Posts
I started building a small gun collection several years ago. My 'prime directive' was one of home defense, so almost all of my guns ended up being, in one way or another, of a tactical nature.

And I found myself gravitating to the shotgun as the gun of choice for home defense, since it is so doggoned versatile. The range of ammo available is astounding, from slugs (which with 12 guage, end up being about rifle caliber .73), to mild target or game loads, all the way to heavy buckshot, or, otherwise, whatever you might care to load into the shell.

Chokes that alter the pattern of the shot give even more versatility, and various aftermarket accessories can allow you to personalize your gun, for your purposes and uses, almost to any configuration you can imagine.

Prices do start low, but even at lower prices, quality may surprise. A year or so ago I bought (what is now my only pump gun) a NEF/H&R Pardner for $179, and found it to be well made, maybe not the finest fitted and looking...but a shotgun just as capable as any of my others. And being a pump, one I've shot enough to have broken in sufficiently, it will always be stone solid reliable. Load it, shoot it, pump that slide, shoot it again...

And while shotgun ammo is bulky and heavy, it is available everywhere at reasonable prices. Or conversely, you can load your own.

Overall, for home defense, it's mighty hard to beat a good shotgun. Even an old beat up single shot is better than a stick, when facing imminent danger on your front porch.

Edited to add...Oh yeah, I actually did perform a classic 'shotgun wedding' on 10-10-10. As a wedding, it hit all the cliches dead on the money. The bride was 17, pregnant, and actually barefoot (the brides'maids were barefoot too). As she proceeded up the grassy knoll (it was an outside wedding) I heard her father saying to the groom, "I have my shotgun in the car, so don't be doing no thinking about taking a powder bud..."

Between the two of them, they now have a two kids, and are as happy as can be.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My first shotgun was a single shot N.E. just loved that gun. It would put a dent in the shoulder of next week. But it got the job done long enough for me to get a Mossburg 500 pump. Had to sell that and my savage 300 plus my canoe so i could buy Camp Gristle ten + years ago. Building back up now with another single shot 12ga (cheapo) and my .22Lr bolt.

Kicking myself now but camp is all bought and paid for. BIG BONUS

·
Old Soldier
5,323 Posts
If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand...
I'm beginning to understand. I've got "a few" (still an amature, less than 20).:D:
Single shot, double barrel, pump. 410, 20 ga, 12 ga.
I like shotguns.:thumb:
Used, American made guns can frequently be inexpensive. My Remington 870 12 ga was only $185 w/tax and NCIS call in.:)
I've also found a 20 ga single Ithaca for $20, and a 12 ga single Stevens for free.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts

Maverick Model 88 is a Mossberg 500 clone with a different safety location for a great price and made in USA....
Id suggest buying American ...
Well, the Maverick is assembled in the USA (barely - you can spit across the border).

Many, if not most/all (Mossberg won't say) the components are made in Mexico.

Sadly or not, the Chinese Pardner is better constructed; not just my opinion either.

- OS

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm beginning to understand. I've got "a few" (still an amature, less than 20).:D:
Single shot, double barrel, pump. 410, 20 ga, 12 ga.
I like shotguns.:thumb:
Used, American made guns can frequently be inexpensive. My Remington 870 12 ga was only $185 w/tax and NCIS call in.:)
I've also found a 20 ga single Ithaca for $20, and a 12 ga single Stevens for free.

Exactly, I picked up a 1969 Browning Auto 5 at a pawnshop in central texas several years ago, They wanted 300 for it, I talked them down to under to 200 cause it had someones initials engraved in the stock, Works Perfect....

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I performed a quick Google search and came up with six places that have the Savage-Stevens 320 listed for under $200:

Savage Arms Stevens 320 Security Pump Shotgun 12 Gauge with 18.5" Matte Blue Barrel and Black Synthetic Stock with Vertical Pistol Grip. Features cylinder choke, bead sights, rotary bolt design, dual slide bars and side ejection.
* Barrel Length:18.5"
* Overall Length:39"
* Weight:6.85 lbs
* Chamber:3"
* Caliber:12 Gauge
* Capacity:5+1
That's a hell of a great deal!

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For all you people knocking the maverick 88. It is a great shotgun. Mine has out run bennies, Remmies, and winnies. And at half the cost.

It's one of the best guns you canbuy for under $200 IMPO.
Nearly all of the aftermarket accessories available for the Mossberg 500-series fits the Maverick as well

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Well, the Maverick is assembled in the USA (barely - you can spit across the border).

Many, if not most/all (Mossberg won't say) the components are made in Mexico.

Sadly or not, the Chinese Pardner is better constructed; not just my opinion either.

- OS
cant say as i never really handled the pardner but i can honestly say the 88's have been perfectly fine. i have a couple. soem older and well i thought i could use a new one a moth or so ago. got to love acadamy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am somewhat in the market for a tactical shotgun and will have to reference this thread(s) when I decide to pull the trigger.

I have handled a few while hunting and out of the pumps I really prefer the Benelli Super Nova. Albeit pricy and not what I would get for home defense I would definitely check out the Nova (non super) as it is much cheaper and boasts the same components minus the comfort tech stock.

The action and "fit/finish" is much nicer than the low end mossbergs or remingtons I have shot. It shoulders nicely and swings like a champ but that is with the 26" barrel and comfort tech stock and it doesn't rattle nearly as much. Maybe the others I have handled were abused, but that is my experience. Break down is simple, no tools need to remove the trigger assembly. The magazine cap has a nipple on it to punch the pins out. Pump action is smooth and and I can fire it almost as fast as I can a semi auto Franchi.

One thing I would make sure of though is that it is chambered up to a 3.5" shell. Especially if it is the one you are planning on grabbing when you BO. It will be able to chamber and fire any sized round in its gauge that you happen to come across that way.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i buy every cheap shotgun i can find and then test it for function and fix it and put it back.someday they will be worth a mint.if things get bad yu can slap it and some number 4 buck in a city boys hands and he is a formible opponet at close range. you can hunt squirrels, rabbits,birds and all kinds of varmints and deer with it at close range.you can keep a cheap shotgun in every shed on your place for home defense.you can carry them on your tractor and in your truck and always feel ready.i love shotguns!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ive got the maverick 88 as shown in the picture above .
She wears an el cheapo elastic side saddle on the stock loaded with 5 extra buck or slugs , the factory sling she came with , a $30 pachmyer slip on decelerater , occasionally has some survival gear stuffed in the plastic stock under the slip on , and carries some scratches on the barrel mag tube and reciever ( just adds character ).
There is not a prettier sight than that old bear buster lying across by back pack as I eat lunch in a sub alpine cutblock during a day of pre season scouting .
Mavericks have quite a following amongst hunters out here , you want a bear gun to go in your truck or ATV , ask anyone and theyll say , "get a maverick " , unless they own a gun store .
And theyre tough to .
I get blue lock tite in my action , it stiffened a little , but did not jam .
A friend with more confidence than me asked if he could strip and clean it , and replace it if he failed .
He had never stripped a gun before , but it took him one day and no instruction and she works just fine . Later on that year we went shooting with his girlfriend . As we were shooting I realised I didn't kow were the maverick was . Turns out someone had sit it on the ground and now buddies girlfriend was standing on it , right were the action joins the stock , half buried in spring time mud .
There was no damage and I still use that gun 2 years later .
What more can you say

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.