Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I am not to knowledgable in the shotgun area and was looking for some recommendations on a shotgun for Home Defense.

My son is 11 and I am 43 (lol) :rolleyes:

I am interested in something that we don't have to keep reloading while someone is trying to break in and something that an 11 year old can handle. :eek:

Thanks. If there is nothing he can handle then any recommendations for what I can use is great.
Thanks ahead of time.
I gotta go suck up my coffee now!!!:thumb:
BRB

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Hi Guys!

I am not to knowledgable in the shotgun area and was looking for some recommendations on a shotgun for Home Defense.

My son is 11 and I am 43 (lol) :rolleyes:

I am interested in something that we don't have to keep reloading while someone is trying to break in and something that an 11 year old can handle. :eek:

Thanks. If there is nothing he can handle then any recommendations for what I can use is great.
Thanks ahead of time.
I gotta go suck up my coffee now!!!:thumb:
BRB
Is it for both of you or just your son? If for both of you to use, I think you're SOL until he gets a little bigger. Otherwise most of the major manufacturers offer "youth" models with shorter stocks. Regarding the age old question of 12ga, vs 20 ga vs .410, I'd opt for either the 20 ga or 12 ga depending on the size of the young man and how resilient he is regarding recoil. The big advantage to the "youth" models is that they fit kids better so they can better tolerate the recoil... Personally I don't think the 12ga is that much more punishing than the 20 ga because the 20 ga usually is a lighter gun so the perceived recoil is heavier...

Allan

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
H & R pardner (pump) defender in 20 gauge, with a wally world recoil pad. With a short length of pull and with 2.75 inch lighter loads, this gun has recoil that should be tolerable for smaller bodies, while still packing plenty of punch.

Extra bonus: these shotguns can be bought new for well under $300, if you look around, and under $200 used.

Just my 2 cents, HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
166 Posts
funny because when i was 11 i got my first shotgun. it was a remmy 870 express 20. ga. youth. since the youth modles are smaller they do tend to have more kick. but i dosnt hurt. its great for a person getting used to kick.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
funny because when i was 11 i got my first shotgun. it was a remmy 870 express 20. ga. youth. since the youth modles are smaller they do tend to have more kick. but i dosnt hurt. its great for a person getting used to kick.
Recoil pads work wonders, too.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I have to say that my first shotgun (see thread: Your first gun, do you still have it?)
was a Remington 1100 semiautomatic 20 gauge. Plug removed it holds 5 shells and shoot as fast as ya can pull the trigger. A little smallish now, but after spraying a BG with the first 2-3 shots in rapid succession, I doubt he'd want to see how many more times he is going to be shot.

Oh, and it would be just fine for an 11 year old.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have to say that my first shotgun (see thread: Your first gun, do you still have it?)
was a Remington 1100 semiautomatic 20 gauge. Plug removed it holds 5 shells and shoot as fast as ya can pull the trigger. A little smallish now, but after spraying a BG with the first 2-3 shots in rapid succession, I doubt he'd want to see how many more times he is going to be shot.

Oh, and it would be just fine for an 11 year old.
Until dad sees the prices!!! Scary!!! 1100s have gone outta this world!!!

I would recommend an 870 20ga MAGNUM! EXPLANATION: the 870 is a touch heavier than the cheaper shotguns due to an all steel receiver, this will hold down recoil, it will also allow for a longer life for the shotgun, and by all means make sure it's a 3" magnum... it doesnt mean he has to use 3" mags but it will give him the option of using them when he gets older and bigger. A 20ga 3" is a sweet field gun quite comparable to a 12 ga 2 3/4" maybe even a bit better, but the point is it will allow a path for growth for him, not to mention allowing more ammo choices.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
True that, Palladin! I just looked up prices on that gun...I should trade it for an AR!
I was going to pick one up for myself and almost had a stroke... I couldnt believe how expensive they got... and that was BEFORE things went nutzo...

·
Healer
918 Posts
Remington Express 870 Youth model. :thumb:

Snippet: If you are looking for a pump shotgun for a shooter smaller than 5 foot 2 inches (157 cm) then the Remington Youth 870 is the perfect gun. The gun balances well when equipped with a 21 inch (55 cm) barrel. The 870 Youth is a bit lightweight for use with magnum shotgun shells, but with standard shells it is quite manageable. A very good shotgun overall.
Source of snippet: http://www.reviewcentre.com/review225101.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
i am 16 and have a 20 gauge single shot just for hunting but for fast loading you want a pump shotgun, it holds like 5 shells and you just chk chk and there ya go, but get him a 20 gauge because he will definatly be able to handel it, also get a shoulder pad
look into the charles daily pump at walmart

1 - 14 of 14 Posts