Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was with a buddy yesterday when he made his first firearm purchase: a remington 870 with tactical length barrel- magazine extension, and a Knoxx Spec ops stock with recoil damper for 450 bucks. He is new at firearms, (except the Liberty .32 S&W revolver I gave him last Christmas), so I compiled a list of items that he needs or might want to have. It has a tactical barrel- so I made no mention of any chokes.

I thought I'd share this with you- in case you have anything to add or criticism.

Dwind said:
Cleaning kit: You can get self contained kits that come in a plastic case- but they typically only have a single rod - suitable for cleaning pistols only. You'll need to get a shotgun bore rod, swab tip, and cleaning swatches. MUST HAVE 20-25 bucks

Repair Kit: These are usually inclusive, with a number of internal parts, maybe an extra barrel. NICE TO HAVE 50-75 bucks

Forend with light docking port: Hard plastic forend for the pump with a built in port for a certain diameter flashlight. Superior to light clamps. For MOUT and Home defense. This is a great thing to have. 30-40 bucks

Flashlight: High power LED flashlight, sometimes with a variable beam and red light feature. Can operate on rechargable or AA/AAA batteries. 20-100 bucks

6-shell side saddle/ 5 shell rear power pack: Useful for reloading on the fly as well as handy stowage of special use ammunition. NICE TO HAVE 50-60 bucks each

Heat shield with fixed ghost ring combo sight: The heat shield makes handling a hot barrel much easier, and the ghost ring sight adds accuracy for slugs at longer ranges than a simple bead. NICE TO HAVE 30-35 bucks * care must be taken to align with the integral bead sight- and clamp it down. With rough use it CAN come loose.

Sling: A standard, 1 point or 3 point system for carrying your shotgun. May or may not carry additional shells. An absolute must for MOUT or other combat, NICE TO HAVE for home defense. 15-30 bucks

Shell pouch/shell dispensor: 12 shell pouch that clips to your belt, or a hard plastic case that clips to your belt and dispenses ammunition similar to a soda can dispensor. NICE TO HAVE 3 to 25 bucks.

AMMO RECOMENDATIONS
*note- The amounts I recommend may seem excessive, but I'm recommending that you keep ammunition in deep stores- in case something happens where you can't get more for a long time.

1oz rifled slugs: Close in power, long distance accuracy (for a shotgun)
On Hand: 25 rounds. in storage: 200 rounds
1.5 oz magnum slugs: 3 inch long, heavier hitting slugs. Stock if you feel you need extra punch
00 Buckshot: Your bread and butter anti personel round
On Hand: 25 rounds: in storage: 300 rounds
#2 Shot: lighter caliber shot, more loaded. Spreads out to cover a little more area
#4 Shot: lighter caliber shot, more loaded. Spreads out to cover a bit more area
#8/9 Shot: Extremely light load for small creatures or target practice. Keep several hundred rounds
Flares: Specialty round for signalling or starting expedious fires. Keep a few on hand
Baton/Rubber shot: Good for putting people and animals down, but not permanently (can be lethal at close ranges)

*In addition- there are several strange specialty rounds, such as flamethrower rounds or explosive shot. These are expensive- and they may be fun to shoot- but I don't think I'd recommend them for anything other than that.

Reactions: GENT

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the Liberty is a solid, but well worn german 7 shot revolver with some patches of missing blueing. I picked it up for a hundred bucks- and it came with 2 boxes of ammo and a leather holster as well. My friend is like a brother to me- and is quite a collector of valuable items and has a cute little wife as well, so I whet his appetite with the wheelgun, now he has his own 870..

now if only I can get him to prep...

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
good list, it seems pretty inclusive to me.
nice one.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Hmm, I'd make it pouches - at least 2, and maybe MUST have. Also MUST on Butt cuff. I'd suggest he ditch the Knox Stock, go with a standard one, with a KISS recoil pad- My preference is the Pachmayr Decelerator- Good soft pad, absorbs recoil well. DO NOT go with a Limbsaver or R3. they may be softer, but they breakdown within 3 years- usually 2- when the gun is stored vertically.

Might Suggest #4 Buckshot as an alternative.

For Nice to have, I'd suggest an extra barrel or 2- say a 26" Vent rib and maybe a Fully rifled one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts