Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Both are the best of the best, as far as pump actions go. Neither will disappoint you. I'd go with an 870, but that is only because I am more familiar with it, and have used one for quite some time. I recently picked up a Mossberg 500 Mariner, which is also a damn fine weapon. Just go to your local gun store and handle both, and pick the one you like the best.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
A 500 (or 590) has the better safety, the slide release is better placed, and the elevator is less obtrusive wile loading...that's why I choose it. Don't buy into the whole receiver is made out of aluminum so it's a less quality gun. I've never heard of a 500's receiver failing. EDIT 590's have a steel receiver anyway I believe.

That being said, I if you choose an 870 it's a classic, but in reality both of them with proper care will last a lifetime.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Try a Browning BPS or Ithaca 37- preferably the Browning. Nicely made, reliable, rock solid, ambidextrous too. Handles great.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
That video is a little misleading in regauds to barrel length there are 870 with 18 inch barrels. You can purchase longer and shorter barrels as needed. The Reminton 870 allows one to switch out a barrel in les than 30 seconds with practice. Where as it a little more of a choar with the mossburgs. The 870 can go from duck gun to police shot gun in seconds.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
345 Posts
For every 6 guys that like the 860 you will find a half dozen that would rather have the Mossy. Either will serve you well and last longer than you will. You can get a wide variety of spare barrels for both and it is quick & simple to change them out. I prefer the Mossy because of the loading port (watch Kev’s video) and location of the safety and the action latch. You may not agree with that, so you need to handle both to make a decision. If you are new to shotguns it probably doesn’t matter, after you shoot 300 rounds or so, you will be in tune with whichever you have chosen and won’t like the other.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I will never understand why Winchester is never mentioned in these shotgun post. I have a few and they have never failed, EVER..!

And I shoot a lot more then the average person...

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
They do now, but there was a time they used the Winchester Model 12...
Now they also used to use the Colt 1911 but now they don't, does that mean the 1911 is not any good anymore?

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Go Saiga 12 w/ 20rd drums or go home...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
For some reason to me the Mossberg 590 doesn't kick like the Remington870. May just be my imagination but it's the reason I went with a Mossberg.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
THey both are great guns. You have to find the one that feels right in your hands. Guns have to fit you or they never work for you. It is like buying a pair of pants that is 4 sizes too big. Get the gun that fits you and the way you shoot. Can you hit the release buttons easily? Does the slide feel right? How does the trigger Feel?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts