Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Optimist
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the "golden horde" is advancing on my front door. I've taken out my trusty 20 gauge and I'm getting ready to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

Request. I would like to see a spreadsheet showing pattern spread at different ranges with different types of loads. Does anyone have one handy or a link to one please.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Not enough to too much.

"They" say that a buckshot load will pattern at over a foot of spread at 20 yards. I think modern loads might stay tighter longer.

Golden Horde? Not a job for a shotgun.;)

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
With a shotgun, use a large diameter shot and wait until you see the whites of their eyes. I keep a box of 12 ga 3" BB in my trailer by the barn. I'm considering steel "T" shot as I bought a 10# bag. I want more pattern coverage than Buck shot offers as I shoot varmints.

·
Premium Member
4,602 Posts
Using Flite Control wads always patterns best
So get Federal Flite Control ammunition and then pattern your gun
If you have choke tubes check them out and see what works best

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
In that scenario I think a better plan (if a shotgun is your only option and you can't run) is to start dropping slugs on them as soon as they're in range. Brenneke slugs are accurate at long-for-shotguns range and hit harder at that distance than foster slugs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lots of videos on YouTube cover the topic. Demolition Ranch did one where he set up numerous paper targets one behind the other at 5 or 10 yard steps.

I shot 00 buck nine pellet out of my cylinder bore on the weekend at a target at 50 yards and the spread was like 3’. Definitely work on a human sized target at that range and if you’re faced with a horde you can start laying it down at 100 yards and take 3 or 4 per shot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree with buckshot, it seems to be the best crowd control.

Slugs are awesome but more of a one on one scenario.

·
reluctant sinner
17,520 Posts
+1 for proof is actual testing your weapon and ammo. Choke in the old days was defined by the % of shot in a 30" circle at 40 yards, this was card and felt wads days. Now its by constriction, and plastic wads are the norm (which pattern much tighter than card).

If you load your own, you can make spreader loads to open the pattern quicker, and buffered ones to tighten them up. I don't do steel shot.

I cast my own 00, #4 and 1 1/4 slug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts