Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm visiting family down in St. Petersburg Florida. My Nephew in law Pete and his 16 yo son Jake setup a hog hunt for us Sunday. We used Clay Gully Outfitters in Lorida Florida for the hunt. They have a 5,000 acre cattle ranch that backs up to 96,000 acre wildlife area.

https://claygullyoutfitters.com/

I borrowed Pete's scoped bolt action 308 Weatherby and had my Glock 19. Pete carried a scoped 300 Black AR15 and a Taurus 45 acp. His son Jake, carried a scoped 223 AR15.

Our guide Tyler, drove the 3 of us around on the ranch in a Polaris Ranger with 2 of his Jack Russel Terriers. These feisty little dogs would jump out the front of the Ranger and go chasing after the hogs.

I shot mine at about 25yds in the heart lung area with the 308 after the dogs chased it down.

Pete was up next. The two dogs went right into the Palmettos and pinned his hog. Our guide had Pete use his pistol, a 45 acp Taurus, and take out the pig - execution style / point blank with a head shot. :D::D:

Jake grabbed his Dad's new 300 Black AR and shot the 3rd one at about 10yards after the dogs found it.

Was a fast fun time. We got all 3 hogs in 2 hours.

We headed back to the lodge and paid for the Hogs. Normal price was $250 each but we got a deal in a round about way for $200 a hog. We each tipped Tyler $50.

Tyler then drove us over to the barn where he hung, expertly skinned and quartered the hogs. I got the biggest one. Was a good time and I'd definitely do it again.

Dogs and a guide are the way to. Jake's hog and my hog, both shot in the heart and lungs, ran a good 30 yards after being hit. The dogs stayed right with them - clamped on to them actually. Pete's head shot hog wasn't running anywhere...

My Hog:
Wild Boar.jpg

Pete's Hog:
Pete.jpg

Jake taking aim:
Jake Taking Aim.jpg

Jake's Hog:
Jakes Hog.jpg

All 3:
Jake Dan Pete Hogs.jpg

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
481 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt . Nice story & Pics .
I need one of those again too.
Only bagged one boar, with a TC/Contender pistol in .45-70 Govt. & handloaded 350 gr.
Maybe S.C. near my sister's home in the Spring. I would like to use my .35 Rem. in the same gun.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I chatted with our Guide Tyler. He went to Ft. Leonard Wood for Army Basic and MP AIT right after High School in 2010. Soon as he Graduated they sent him to Iraq - Sadr City. He worked some with Army EOD. The EOD vehicle he was riding in got hit by an IED. The front outriggers missed it and it blew up under the vehicle. He was Active Duty Army till 2017, wanted to re-up / continue being active, but was told he couldn't because of his injuries. His choice was to go into the reserves or get out.

He got out and became a Deputy Sheriff making $26k a year. His Aunt is one of the owners of the ranch. A friend / mentor that worked at the Outfitter called him up and asked him to Guide part time. Tyler quickly learned that he could make enough $ to survive / thrive by being a hunting guide vs. being an Deputy and is doing this full time. He's still a Reserve Deputy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Howdy!

We fulltime RV and when in Florida we at times stay at Three Flags RV Resort in Wildwood, FL. On a number of occasions when returning to our RV we had found wild hogs wondering around our RV and in the area. I always point this out to the managers and worker and they seem to think nothing about it. Being from Texas I know better than that. I’m always on guard especially when waking our dogs.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy!

We fulltime RV and when in Florida we at times stay at Three Flags RV Resort in Wildwood, FL. On a number of occasions when returning to our RV we had found wild hogs wondering around our RV and in the area. I always point this out to the managers and worker and they seem to think nothing about it. Being from Texas I know better than that. I’m always on guard especially when waking our dogs.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Looks like you are a short 2.5 hours away. You might check this place out.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I would love to help shoot um in Florida, but am busy shootin um here in Texas at present time.

Was out on my shooting range working up some dope over a current 308 load, and glanced up to see what I took to be my 400 yard stationary target moving.....lol.

A lone boar was out there rootin up around it. ( Must like lead)

Anywhoos.....I gave him some copper instead....lol.

A good pig is a dead pig.

Dump some more of them drobs.

11B

·
Honyock
659 Posts
I chatted with our Guide Tyler. He went to Ft. Leonard Wood for Army Basic and MP AIT right after High School in 2010.
drobs,

You don't have to go to Florida to find feral hogs, they are all over southern MIssouri. The Forrest Service doesn't want you to shoot them on public land but I'm sure a lot of the farmers would be happy for the help.

Shoot them all. Young ones are better eating. JMHO

·
Goat Roper
1,257 Posts
I used to hunt em with dogs here in E Tex. I L O V E wild hog meat. It is very lean and tasty. I know folks have to thin em out in certain places, but the guys who let em lay are just wrong in my book. Local poor folk would love to have em.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I used to hunt em with dogs here in E Tex. I L O V E wild hog meat. It is very lean and tasty. I know folks have to thin em out in certain places, but the guys who let em lay are just wrong in my book. Local poor folk would love to have em.
Not only wrong, but helps defeat the " thin em out " process in the first place......as they will in fact eat dead hogs left to rot in the dirt. ( That's what they do. Eat, drink, and breed ) Better at all 3 than rabbits, rats, and coydogs combined.

With that said, the pigs that ain't fit for human consumption make for decent dog food. At least mine eat it...lol.

Welcome to Texas.

11B

·
Registered
111 Posts
The problem with people who want some free meat, they want it cut wrapped and frozen.

I can't tell you how many times I've offered free pig to someone, all they had to do was get up at midnight or later and come get it....and clean it.

Not had any takers yet.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
The problem with people who want some free meat, they want it cut wrapped and frozen.

I can't tell you how many times I've offered free pig to someone, all they had to do was get up at midnight or later and come get it....and clean it.

Not had any takers yet.
Same here on more than one occasion. Even offered to teach them how to gut a pig and would provide equipment and supplies.

Also offered the same 2 a few local churches. None interested unless I do all the work.
That didn't bother me. What did was the fact that none offered to help.

Nowadays......All are to frightened over the virus to be remotely interested.

Another reason why I own a backhoe

11B

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,285 Posts
I hate those wild hogs. I live on the Western edge of Jupiter, FL and my house backs up to NENA, the Northeast Everglades Natural Area. Of course, it's full of hogs and they are a real nuisance, not to mention the personal risk.

Many years ago, I purchased a 50 Beowulf to go helicopter hog hunting with our flight departments EC135. Despite prior assurances, our heli pilot chickened out and refused to go through with it. Darn!

Anyway, great job!!! The little ones taste better....

Reactions: drobs

·
Registered
84 Posts
This post will probably be a little unpopular, but I teach my kids to watch for advertisements as well - everywhere.

So - thanks for the advertisement! We have hogs here that I can shoot.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
drobs,

You don't have to go to Florida to find feral hogs, they are all over southern MIssouri. The Forrest Service doesn't want you to shoot them on public land but I'm sure a lot of the farmers would be happy for the help.

Shoot them all. Young ones are better eating. JMHO
A buddy of mine is a Deputy Sheriff for my county. He mentioned he might know of a place not too far away where hogs have been spotted on private land.

I'll have to try to nail him down on a when and where. Been home a year now and have seen him twice.

Did some online searching for Missouri & Arkansas - prices were all over the place from $100 to $3k!!!

I'd like find a place, hunt it successfully, then invite some friends / family down to hunt.

Edited to add, I gutted my Deer this year but had it processed locally. I have cleaned / processed plenty of small game.
I watched our guide skin and quarter the hog. He was fast!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts