Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After watching Hurricane Irene hit the east coast, the fires in Texas, and the earthquake in the northeast,,,, do you think people will go into a panic buying mode? Meaning, will people start stockpiling food, guns, water and ammunition more then usual?

When there is a disaster, people usually kick into some kind of panic buying mode for a few weeks. People will buy all of the batteries, flashlights, camp stoves, 1 pound propane bottles,,, and even ice chest stores have in stock. But after the disaster passes, people seem to forget about the disaster and return to what their life was before anything happened.

With the recent events, do you plan on changing your spending habits to buy a few more canned canned goods then normal.

After Hurricane Rita, there were people complaining they did not have gas to drive to the food lines. Even though they had several days warning, they did not gas up their vehicles. The local radio station would have a talk show where people could call in, and important information was broadcast to the community. There were people calling in and asking how they were supposed to get to the food lines? the radio host asked them if they had been watching the news before Rita made landfall. The people that called in to the radio station usually had some kind of excuse to justify their actions.

What is wrong with people, the news says there is a major storm on the way, and they do not even buy some basic canned goods and gas up their car. I guess they think the government will be there to help them within a few hours after the storm passes.

A dog will guard its food bowl, probably because it does not know its going to be getting more food tomorrow. Its an instinct that was probably developed over millions of years.

I think the most humans can be dived into 2 groups:

1, the hunter gather who plans for 1 or 2 days ahead of time.

2, the farmer who plans 3 or 4 months ahead of time.

When we were hunter/gathers we lived a couple of days at a time. Our ancestors dug roots, gathered berries, or killed a deer and our ancestors had food for a couple of days.

As communities started planting crops, we started thinking in 3 - 4 month periods. Its time to work the fields and plant the crops. A few months later its time to harvest the crops and put the crops up for the winter.

Depending on what instinct the person lives by - day to day, or planning a couple of months ahead, I think that affects how well people plan their lives and how well they plan for disasters.

After a disaster, there are people that will try to return their generators and other unused supplies to the stores where they were bought, there are examples of this with Irene. That type of person is thinking of right here, and right now - kinda like a hunter / gather.

The other type of person puts their generator in storage for the next storm, that is the farmer. He/she plans on using that generator again when there is another storm.

After Hurricane Andrew went through Florida, I remember hearing stories of the welfare families sitting around waiting for the government to show up with supplies. The people had lived off food stamps and welfare for so long, they did not know how to provide for themselves.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,493 Posts
I find that a lot of people simply can't wrap their minds around the concept of preparedness. Even at the last minute. They simply have no idea what to buy or what they need. I know it sounds stupid, but I've met so many like that, that it absolutely boggles the mind. I'm not surprised that they didn't think to fill up their vehicles. They were probably not even thinking about food lines, even though they didn't have food.

I honestly don't know why so many people are so brain dead. But this is one thing that makes it easier for me to turn a blind eye to them when the big one hits. They simply need removed from society, for the health of that society.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
after Irene turned out to be not so bad there were lines of people trying to bring back the generators, food, water, and other stuff they went out and got at the last minute so they could have more scratch for their Ipods and Old Navy pullovers. after all, the autumn fashion season is almost here :rolleyes:

Same thing happened after Rita.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
in a month, those that found it 'in' to prepare will even forget the name of the storm they prepared for.

·
Dragonslayer
18 Posts
In the military we used the acronym TSTL (Too Stupid To Live) to describe the type of folks you are discussing. Need to know when and how to cut them loose.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I find that a lot of people simply can't wrap their minds around the concept of preparedness. Even at the last minute. They simply have no idea what to buy or what they need. I know it sounds stupid, but I've met so many like that, that it absolutely boggles the mind.
I know what you mean!

Some of the "mind boggling" preps I have heard of:

Frozen Meals (will be great with no electricity)
Movies for entertainment because they are going to be stuck inside (also handy without electricity)
Batteries that are the wrong size for the flashlights they have (you think they would check before they go lol)

I'm sure theres plenty of others out there too :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
you cant fix stupid.......but mother nature can if we let it run its course.

sorry for sounding cold..but like they say "mother nature is a $itch" !!! just look at whats going on around the world in natural disasters this year alone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been through ice storms, hurricanes, blizzards and so on. All I've ever really had to do was make sure the gas tank was topped off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in VT my house has been ready for emergencies since I moved in. I also lived in MS and had gone through minor tropical storms, and before that IL with tornados. But every time a bad one comes around again a buying frenzy happens. It baffles me. It doesn't take long to look ahead and think about what you need. Vermont has horrible blizzards and ice storms and there's no problem with flooding in my area seeing as there's no river and plenty of places for rain water to go. Most people I know won't be going into a buying panic. Mostly restocking some items. Although honestly I wish I'd had the money to buy up all the generators and resell them. It'd have been worth it. As mean as that sounds.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I find that a lot of people simply can't wrap their minds around the concept of preparedness. Even at the last minute. They simply have no idea what to buy or what they need. I know it sounds stupid, but I've met so many like that, that it absolutely boggles the mind. I'm not surprised that they didn't think to fill up their vehicles. They were probably not even thinking about food lines, even though they didn't have food. I honestly don't know why so many people are so brain dead. But this is one thing that makes it easier for me to turn a blind eye to them when the big one hits. They simply need removed from society, for the health of that society.
Remember, 50% of the American population is below average in intelligence. :eek:

·
Texas Country
152 Posts
I love the freedom and lack of tension associated with being prepared. Call me a farmer if you like.
Amen to that brother. When I lost my job it was a HUGE comfort to look into the pantry and see all the food that we had put up; all the canned goods that we had, and the pint mason jar that was jam packed with green money for that rainy day!!!

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I find that a lot of people simply can't wrap their minds around the concept of preparedness. Even at the last minute. They simply have no idea what to buy or what they need. I know it sounds stupid, but I've met so many like that, that it absolutely boggles the mind. I'm not surprised that they didn't think to fill up their vehicles. They were probably not even thinking about food lines, even though they didn't have food.

I honestly don't know why so many people are so brain dead. But this is one thing that makes it easier for me to turn a blind eye to them when the big one hits. They simply need removed from society, for the health of that society.
I believe it is an evolutionary trait. Back when our distant ancestors were swinging around the trees, they had to stay focused on the moment: Getting enough to eat, avoiding that weak tree branch, REALLY avoiding the giant serpent coiled around that weak tree branch... These days everything's changed and we've come down of the the trees - most of us - but our brains are still hardwired to keep us in the NOW. Eating to the point of gross obesity although we know that will kill us. Spending money to gratify the desires of the moment instead of the needs of the future. And not prepping until the situation becomes so critical that fear causes a change in behavior. There are of course those who are wise enough, thoughtful enough, or mutants enough to be able to look ahead and see what needs to be done, then do it; but we're not that common. Education can help, but not everyone; there are some educated, seemingly intelligent people who have been told what they should do, and have even suffered terribly because they weren't prepared, who still WILL NOT get ready ahead of time no matter what. We may be highly evolved apes, but it's the reptilian part of our brains that rules a lot of people; and reptiles are lousy preppers. :D:

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Before Irene all i needed to do was I gas up the car.
All I had to do was call up the boys and get more beer. Food, water, power.........already covered. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Does anyone have a locking cap on their car/truck gas tank? I would think that if things get really bad and the gas stations run out of gas, people would be siphoning gas from other parked cars.

Kev, I've talked to several family members about stocking up "just in case" and nobody seems to be concerned. At least not enough to do anything about it. It really worries me. Nobody gets it. I thought my cousin truly understood and was stocking up on food (they have 2 young kids). But I talked to his wife and she said, "Yeah, we were doing that, but it was mostly canned vegetables and I've used most of them now".

I have to admit, I was the same way up until 7 or 8 months ago when I heard a radio talk show host talking about it.

Up until then, the thought of stocking up and having non-food emergency supplies seemed like a far-fetched idea. Maybe because many of us have never walked into a grocery store to see empty shelves?

This forum has been incredibly helpful and informative.

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
I have a locking gas cap, kinda wish that I didn't.

If they want your gas badly enough, a screwdriver can be used to pierce the bottom of your tank... and they you are really screwed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts