Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have padded my preps because after careful study, I am bugging in pretty soon. I have the ability to remove myself and a few others from the situation, so I will.

I'll tell you what I've gotten, and please add suggestions to the thread. I've mostly added one-year type preps that we will eat in a year, or that can be frozen. Some of this is NOT my usual diet, I'd prefer good cheese, a nice chicken breast, and a fresh salad. :)

To add to my LTS dry milk supply, I bought cases of UHT Whole Milk from Dollar Tree. I also got the $1 relishes, pickles, mushrooms, pickled asparagus, some cases of canned goods, (be careful some of this is $1 when it's 83 cents @Walmart) and big bottles of Lemon juice for a buck. I had it delivered to my local store.

I bought Velveeta. Name brand. I make cheese sauce, using a Roux. It goes on many things, including my LTS pasta and instant tater preps. Anyone who hates queso is a commie ;). If you turn up your nose at this, let me know how it tastes when you get hungry.

I bought some of the big bags of cereal. More chocolate. Pasta sauces and tomatoes, which I don't use much for LTS because tomatoes have a terrible shelf life before becoming yicky.

More cans of Walmart chicken breast, and some vienna sausages. Walmart shelf stable cooked bacon, it only costs $2.16 here, as opposed to double that for the name brand. Got evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk, which is good on leftover rice as a dessert.

Filled in the 02 inhibitor jars of OTC medicines, especially loperamide, which is starting to be controlled due to issues with dopers. This might be needed for Conona virus patients, according to hospital charting on patients. Also cough suppressant and expectorants, which might be needed. Dollar store for these.

Got another bottle of amoxycillin, which of course is not useful for viruses, but might be needed for some co-infection or something bacterial. I'd say skip this is you could better use the $$ for LTS food.

I know a lot of you have extensive and fancy preps, a million acres, an orchard, and a frozen herd of pigs, but please, I'd like ideas for this scenario, for us regular people.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about stuff like those Knorr meals or Hamburger Helper? I don't know for sure, but they'd probably last for a year.
Canned soup. Or make some chicken soup and pressure can it now.
I have a ton of stored pasta. I'm kinda thinking about stuff that I've turned up my nose at due to shelf life, to add to the pasta, potato flakes, and rice preps.

I'm feeling pressed for time right now, so I'd deleted more canning from the list. But that's such a high quality addition, I think I'll do more raw packs of meat and chicken. Plus, that adds to the fat storage, and most of us have too little.

I find myself thinking of diner plates. You know, a scoop of taters, a canned or dehydrated veggie, and a meat or cheesy scoop of something. A little dessert or piece of chocolate.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
I'm buying cans of chicken noodle soup and store brand chicken broth to thin it with. Yeah, this is in case someone gets sick. Saltines, as they are bland enough, have a salt taste - and are easy to get.

Easy make cornbread mix and such, the big gallon size lemonades, green teas and whatevers.

I'm thinking powdered milk, pudding mixes and jello mixes would be a good add.

AS this is cold season, and as the above is tasty enough, it won't go to waste. ( I wouldn't mind eventually throwing out the powdered milk though!)

TY for reminding me about Velveeta, useful stuff. Spam is moist and salty, may be able to get more fluids in after nibbling on that.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I'm buying cans of chicken noodle soup and store brand chicken broth to thin it with. Yeah, this is in case someone gets sick. Saltines, as they are bland enough, have a salt taste - and are easy to get.

Easy make cornbread mix and such, the big gallon size lemonades, green teas and whatevers.

I'm thinking powdered milk, pudding mixes and jello mixes would be a good add.

AS this is cold season, and as the above is tasty enough, it won't go to waste. ( I wouldn't mind eventually throwing out the powdered milk though!)

TY for reminding me about Velveeta, useful stuff. Spam is moist and salty, may be able to get more fluids in after nibbling on that.
Thanks for the reminder on pudding & jello, will bump up our stock. Puddings make for a nice quick hi calorie hot comfort drink too.

—-as this is the food & water forum, I won’t side track too much. Just remember all to add in extra stuff to stave off cabin fever (games, books, dvds, exercise stuff etc)—

·
Registered
903 Posts
I do a decent job of prepping for my wife and two kids, but I'm ordering more dog and cat food. If I let the pets die, my kids would be very displeased.

The one thing we don't buy in bulk is cooking/olive oil. I'm going to buy a couple of gallons today. My wife uses it regularly, so it'll be used before going bad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I added powdered Gatorade, and several more bottles of ElectroLit. We go through ElectroLit for hangovers, but it's also great when you're sick from things you didn't cause yourself 👍

I discovered it while on a bender in Mexico, and then found it locally in the Hispanic food section of our local (larger) Walmart. I like the coconut, husband likes Mandarin orange. Also comes in strawberry, fruit punch, orange, and probably more.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
I'm pretty well stocked but I also just got some more gatorade in case of sickness.

I'll tell you what I've gotten, and please add suggestions to the thread. I've mostly added one-year type preps that we will eat in a year, or that can be frozen.
That is mostly how I prep. 1-2 year shelf life foods, in 1-2 year amounts.

·
Registered
34,644 Posts
THERE we go!

I was feeling bad about you looking so organized.

THAT looks more like my place right now!:D:

I have a freezer if nothing else. I just have not been content with any of the consumer canned stuff.

'ballpark' nachos OTOH are G2G.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You need deeper shelves.

Eta:

Anyone know of some GOOD kinda-cheese for nachos?
I have a bunch really good wild pulled pork canned that makes GREAT pulled pork nachos, but not enough cheese for it all.

Might just pull the trigger on this:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-10-can-cheddar-cheese-sauce-case/106SCECHDR.html
Hit up Dollar General or whatever dollar stores you have close. You can get 15oz cans of it for a buck, they have a couple different flavors. If you don't see those they have condensed cheese soup that you can add some green chilies to, or some ro-tel and while it won't be great it will be a servicable dip.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Only two things I don't see on here.

First and shortest is bread. If you aren't planning on making your own you will need to buy a bunch and freeze it.

Second and at about your 1 year parameter is peanut butter. A couple slices of toast smothered in peanut butter and drizzled with honey makes a great and filling change of pace breakfast. One slice also makes a quick easy snack.

·
Registered
34,644 Posts
Hit up Dollar General or whatever dollar stores you have close. You can get 15oz cans of it for a buck, they have a couple different flavors. If you don't see those they have condensed cheese soup that you can add some green chilies to, or some ro-tel and while it won't be great it will be a servicable dip.
That's the thing. The "it" I've bought all over suck in comparison to commercial nachos.

I'll take a look and look for any I haven't tried.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Only two things I don't see on here.

First and shortest is bread. If you aren't planning on making your own you will need to buy a bunch and freeze it.

Second and at about your 1 year parameter is peanut butter. A couple slices of toast smothered in peanut butter and drizzled with honey makes a great and filling change of pace breakfast. One slice also makes a quick easy snack.
I went with crackers of various sorts. PB on crackers is just fine.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I went with crackers of various sorts. PB on crackers is just fine.
Nothing wrong with that! I even like to mix a little of the jam my wife makes into some PB and spread it on crackers.

One thing that some newer preppers overlook is tortillas. They can be stored in your pantry for quite a while without molding and have a lot of uses. One poster on here puts a couple together (cheese between I believe) and makes thin crust pizzas out of them. We use them for all sorts of leftovers. Even if you just have left over meat a bit of left over canned corn and a sprinkle of cheese and some hot sauce it will give you something different from the original meal. Really though we use them for all kinds of left overs including putting in some thick stew and seasoning it a bit more.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need deeper shelves.

Eta:

Anyone know of some GOOD kinda-cheese for nachos?
I have a bunch really good wild pulled pork canned that makes GREAT pulled pork nachos, but not enough cheese for it all.

Might just pull the trigger on this:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-10-can-cheddar-cheese-sauce-case/106SCECHDR.html
The problem with webstaurant store is shipping prices.

I've looked for good storable cheese, and have had no real luck. I'm going to wax and hang some hard cheese, but I don't have any long-term confidence in it.

If you're down to canned cheese, you can get Velveeta at costco for very reasonable, and the chunk size is reasonable. I'll freeze it if it (hopefully) doesn't get used.You have a year or so after thawing. I make a roux and put in in to make a sauce. It's actually good like that, and tons of uses.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts