Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1881 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 1984 I spent a month on vacation what was then Yugoslavia. At the time still communist. Being in my early 20's and coming from the US I was amazed at how few items there were on the store shelves to be purchased and you had to buy gas coupons from the government to fill up your car.

I try not to dive too deeply down the "Alex Jones" and "Prepper" conspiracy theories of food and goods running out but quite honestly I am noticing that Walmart and Target stores are resetting their inventories due to lack or products so they are taking what the do have and spacing the shelves out a little farther apart from each other to make their inventory look more complete.

Additionally there are many bare spots on shelve all over the place. Just simply no products to fill the shelves.

Here was my shopping list at Walmart tonight....they had none of it

Waterproof matches
Fishing split rings
Cilanto
Nylon fabric
Sporks
Ball jars
plastic storage containers (of a certain type)

Last week it was razors and some soaps, lance peanut bars,

This is really mind bending to see,

Anybody else seeing this?
HK

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife does all of the grocery shopping and the last 2 months she’s noticed a shortage in several of our regular items, not necessarily completely out but just less of certain products. For exactly 14 days our local grocery store had absolutely no aluminum foil. She also went to a local DG and they were out as well. She ended up ordering some from Sam’s.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Freakin Nutz! I need to stock up on Lance peanut bars. Haven't had one in years. Thanks for the reminder.

Some things seem hit and miss at Walmart. Ball jars have been in stock at Target,the Yuppies don't seem to need them.

I couldn't find Coleman fuel for awhile,now it's in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
My wife does all of the grocery shopping and the last 2 months she’s noticed a shortage in several of our regular items, not necessarily completely out but just less of certain products. For exactly 14 days our local grocery store had absolutely no aluminum foil. She also went to a local DG and they were out as well. She ended up ordering some from Sam’s.
All of this tells me that inventories are thin and it wouldn't take much to clear the shelves.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Due to the’rona as we say it here in Oklahoma. We have been ordering online and picking up at the grocery store. Haven’t really noticed a lack of items since we don’t go in. But I have no doubt it’s going on.

·
Registered
I don't know
374 Posts
I'm older and remember the great canning jar lid shortage of 1975. Congress even investigated it. It happens. Last year people were scared ad they did what people always do when they are scared; they shop. Toilet paper, 91% alcohol, ivermectin, canning jar lids, they all flew off the shelves. Just like in 1975, the company just didn't make enough lids to compensate, and then they didn't have enough workers so ramp production up.

·
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
1,559 Posts
Wal Mart in my area has been short for almost 2 years. I chalk it up to inept management. A lot of Wal Marts don't even have full time managers. They seem to just run on "auto pilot". You only see affirmative-cation hires walking around aimlessly yakking on their phones or in groups talking to themselves. Not much REAL work like stocking shelves or cleaning up aisles being done. Guess Wal Mart gets what they pay for.

My local food stores are much better stocked and don't seem to have the "shortages" that Wal Mart does. I have one of their discount cards, so prices at the food store are competitive with Wal Mart.

Wal Mart better "get with the program" or Amazon is going to eat their lunch. Simple as that.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Funny about the jars~! HAHAHAHAHA~!
My wife does not understand why I save the spaghetti sauce MASON JARS.
I have about two dozen clean and empty.
Maybe one dozen unclean and empty.
40 or 50 in the shop storing nails, screws, hooks, drill bits, etc
Oh~! Ha~! Another couple dozen in the kitchen with
salt, sugar, cookies, chips, nuts, rice, beans, matches(!)...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I save pasta sauce and other glass jars with lids too! I have a lot of herbs I dry so mainly for that, but I could hopefully preserve things in them if I needed to as well.

I live in the suburbs of a medium sized city and the Walmarts are thinly stocked. The aisle that has laundry hampers and things like that was more than half empty last week, which is a really weird thing to not restock in my opinion. It seemed like they were mostly ok on foods but the cheap Chinese goods are having a problem.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Back in 1984 I spent a month on vacation what was then Yugoslavia. At the time still communist. Being in my early 20's and coming from the US I was amazed at how few items there were on the store shelves to be purchased and you had to buy gas coupons from the government to fill up your car.

I try not to dive too deeply down the "Alex Jones" and "Prepper" conspiracy theories of food and goods running out but quite honestly I am noticing that Walmart and Target stores are resetting their inventories due to lack or products so they are taking what the do have and spacing the shelves out a little farther apart from each other to make their inventory look more complete.

Additionally there are many bare spots on shelve all over the place. Just simply no products to fill the shelves.

Here was my shopping list at Walmart tonight....they had none of it

Waterproof matches
Fishing split rings
Cilanto
Nylon fabric
Sporks
Ball jars
plastic storage containers (of a certain type)

Last week it was razors and some soaps, lance peanut bars,

This is really mind bending to see,

Anybody else seeing this?
HK
Shortages are common in totalitarian societies. It keeps us occupied with getting essentials, which reduces our ability to resist. This is all being done on purpose.

1 - 20 of 1881 Posts