Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 4'9". She is starting to drive. She has to sit very close to the steering wheel.

I am looking to get another car that eventually she will drive to school. The 1990 jeep I am looking at is a great truck in wonderful shape at a great price, but no airbag.

I have heard that airbags can be dangerous to someone who is so short.

Is this danger over blown?

Airbag vs No airbag

Any information or opinions appreciated.

Thanks
BIH

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,965 Posts
That is definitely a concern to be worried about, especially with the force with which they deploy.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I think there is a minium amount of space that you are supposed to sit back from the steering wheel in order to be safe if the air bag deploys. Can't remember the distance, though.

I am short and I know I sit to close but I would rather have broken arms or maybe broken ribs from being too close to the airbags than suffer the alternative.

As a mom, putting your kid behind the wheel of a car is something we all worry about.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The danger is definitely worth considering. The reason they caution you about that is because the air bags can wedge themselves under the chin with such force, they can decapitate the rider. The NHTSA regularly posts records on airbag deployments on their website. Some vehicles have sensors that adjust the airbag deployment based on the weight of the driver. It is possible to enable and disable an airbag. Also remember the airbag has to have a seat belt on the person to work properly. Like other safety devices, they have a limit to their effectiveness in terms of speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just my .02

i am a newbie here but i have some knowledge on this topic so i figured i would chime in. There is a rule among the fire rescue community about airbags its called the "5,10,20 rule" it is used to keep firefighters safe from the path of an un-deployed airbag.. the rule states keep 5 inches away from Side curtain airbags, 10 inches away from Drivers airbag and 20 inches away from Passenger airbag.(because that is the final size of a deployed bag.)
Usually when a car is occupied you want to comfortably stay OUT of the 5,10,20 zone (if possible). if that helps any, personally i would put her in a vehicle with SRS and airbag systems... airbags (in conjunction with seatbelts) IMHO almost 70 percent of the time in reasonable collisions the airbag+SB combo saves the occupants from serious injury. whereas if there were no airbags or SRS systems the occupants would have been DRT.
Yes airbags can be dangerous but the most damage i have seen from them is a broken,arm or rib and a smashed nose( lacerations and "bag burn", like rug burn) YMMV and who am i but some guy on the internet... if my ramblings helped any im glad to be of service.. and if you have any other questions i may be able to help with feel free to email me... just [email protected] to my username.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
to my knowledge all carseats are tested for 4'9" people and about 90-100lbs. anyone under that size in seat belts generally got hurt. at that size or above and the seat belts generally protected without major harm.

now i dont know as much about airbags and size of people.

·
great survivalist *****
1,258 Posts
to my knowledge all carseats are tested for 4'9" people and about 90-100lbs. anyone under that size in seat belts generally got hurt. at that size or above and the seat belts generally protected without major harm.

now i dont know as much about airbags and size of people.
First time I have seen you not do mental gymnastics. I thought you would have said that is a conspiracy by carseat companies and they are only motivated by money and not safety.
You do know that it is medical doctors who came up with the figure of 4'9"? Why do you think these doctors are not lying but all other medical doctors are?

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the distances when she drives my jeep

steering wheel from:

belly = 5 inches
from chest = 9 inches
from head = 12 inches

Maybe get some peddle extenders.

BIH

·
Registered
257 Posts
simple answer to your question. Whats harder? and airbag, which explodes then softens or a metal steering wheel wrapped in vinyl attached to metal shaft.

The better option is pick a smaller car. I am a mechanic, I notice that when a women is to small for a car it is typically much more beat up. some people put the seat to close to the wheel sometimes which makes controlling the vehicle difficult. For example, my mother sits in the worst position, the seat and the seat back are way to far forward. she is always missing cars in the blind spots. or does not notice another car coming down the street.

For the past couple of months i have been wondering why they don't build women specific cars. like the women specific firearms.

if you don't feel safe in a small car do some research. they can be much safer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts