Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something with an 18.5" barrel perhaps? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What, no lefties around here?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Left handed and left eyed, I use a Rem 870 Right hand SG with no problem, though they do make a left hand version.
You can get the safety reversed - I didn't- and all the other operating controls are pretty easy either hand.
My other SD shotgun was a Savage 311 12 ga. double barrel at 20 inches- pretty handy and very effective.

·
Banned
486 Posts
One of my Brothers is left handed and he shoots with a Right handed gun all the time. Just watch your face for the casing is all and most of time it flows right by no problem. Be better to prob learn how to shoot Left handed with a right handed gun. In the long run its cheaper and better.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Get a Browning BPS. they all eject out the bottom, saftey is a top tang type. There is a High Cap (Riot Gun) version.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm told a shotgun casing doesn't come out as hot so having it pop out to the right wouldn't seem like such a big deal and a stock can be swapped.

I'm digging the Benelli H20. I don't know. It's just so hard to decide between them all but thanks for the input so far everyone.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My dad is a lefty and has always shot right handed shotguns since he always borrows when we go and hasn't purchased his own yet. He hasn't been hit in the face or bothered by the way the eject yet.

What are you using the gun for? If you get an O/U or a SxS it won't matter what way you shoot but they might not be good for a tactical weapon.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Close range hunting so I want something with an 18" barrel. I was thinking that the newer shotguns might have stocks that are tailored for right handed folks, plus the safety may be a factor, and anyone making a lefty, say Benelli for instance, the barrel is always quite long.

I'm guessing one could just keep the left action and toss on a different barrel and stock perhaps.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
I'm a lefty and have used numerous types of shotguns over the years. I've just gotten used to righty guns mostly. I like the Ithaca 37, and BPS & anythig w/ a tang mounted safety.
I currently shoot a Winchester SuperX2, and a Rem 11-87 most of the season. I think your going a little short on the barrel.
The only left handed gun I own is my Ruger M77

·
Registered
17 Posts
practice

what you might want to do is practice shooting with you right and left sides and reloading. You never know whats going to happen and its good to be prepared.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Lefty here, and was reading this with interest.
My Remington 1100 (semi auto) was my first shotgun, and unless I was wearing glasses, I would get powder residue in my eyes occasionally. This had convinced me that a pump is the way to go.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most "left hand" guns will not swap with regular barrels- the action and bbl are mirror imaged from the right hand build. The left hand bbl choices are few and hard to find. The Ithaca 37, Browning BPs and most SxS shotguns are truly ambidextrous.
The Remington 870 and Moss berg in right hand are perfectly usable for left hand shooters, and offer the most choice in accessories and bbls.

·
Behold a pale horse
314 Posts
Norinco makes an ithaca 37 clone. Also the ithaca 87 and remington model 10 and 17 are bottom ejectors. Dont know if the remingtons ever came in a short barrel though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts