Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've got a 7 round short-barreled Mossberg 500. While excellent for home defense I've found it useless for hunting. Someone I know wants to trade me his choked long barrel, with 5 round tube from his Maverick.

I believe this might make it more versatile in an SHTF, which our country is on the brink of experiencing. The thing is that I stay in town and we have frequent violent riots that break out.

I have always counted on the short barrel, coupled with LG rounds (00buck) to at least have a chance of clearing a path out of town if needed. Think of a 1960's Congo white massacre type scenario. Would the longer barrel be as effective on a crowd at a short distance?

I've got the maximum 4 guns we are allowed. The Mossberg in 12ga, a scoped and sporterized Lee Enfield Mk4No2, an 18" Vektor H5 and my Glock19 which is my EDC.

Would this be a good trade?

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,577 Posts
I'm an avid bird hunter and I use a 26" barrel. The barrel length is conducive with your swing on flying targets. Some people like the 28", 30" and longer profile barrels depending on the bird and/or target

Choke is everything. Typically all your factory powder burns within 16" of your barrel

I do know some guys that hunt quail with 21" and 24" barrels

Each length barrel will effect your swing somewhat. I can only say you just really need to try the longer barrel to see if you like it.

I think 28" is the most popular barrel. Again, choke is everything

I can't tell you about crowd control but people have used varying lengths for a lot of years

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,519 Posts
Manyfeathers had a good post. As he mentioned, it's all about the choke. I find a pump action to be a bit long to begin with, so a shorter barrel is nice. Are the barrels both fixed choke and what are they labeled as for constriction? Whatever way you go, I'd consider getting interchangeable chokes for the gun. That is get a barrel that accepts them.

How long are the barrels? Some guys like to use very short shotguns for clays, sometimes just to bug the guys with more traditional guns.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Improved cylinder is pretty much always the best for buckshot for social purposes. Your goal isn't one shot deer kills at 80 yds. So if your barrel says IC or improved cylinder you are good to go, most combat type shotguns are IC.

You are right, short barrels make it harder to hit flying game, but I would sure keep your 7 round shorter barrel. I would buy another barrel rather than trade. If you think you might need a better barrel for survival hunting the barrel you have now may work better for that than you think, think ground sluceing.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
My son bought a mossberg with an 18" barrel. He liked the looks of it. I told him it was as useless as teats on a boar hog. I bought him a 26" barrel with a vent rib and modified choke from Ebay for not much money. California is limited to non-lead shot shot so modified or improved cylinder is just about perfect unless you find chokes regulated for steel shot. I also gave him a reloader. none has been out of his safe in 2 years.

·
Bear Fighter
1,530 Posts
If your shorter barreled shotgun has a removable/adjustable choke, stick with it. My turkey gun (Mossberg 500) is probably 4 inches shorter than my son's Maverick 88. Both have interchangeable choke tubes. The "Extra-Full" choke for turkey hunting gives good range, but you want to use Improved Cylinder for slugs or buckshot.

Getting off subject, this disturbs me most:
I've got the maximum 4 guns we are allowed.
I'm glad I live in America.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Hamrammr, I don't know what your laws are like, but a spare barrel for the shotgun you have in hand would probably be doable within your legal restrictions. The short barrel gun has its uses indoors, but it won't likely carry well to hunting distances.

A longer hunting barrel would cure that, and would give you the option in time of need.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a Mossberg HS12 and found it great for static targets like turkey, deer etc. For moving targets like birds, rabbits and Claus I found my wife’s 500 with the waterfowl barrel worked better.

So, at Christmas I bought myself the 535 three barrel combo. The with scope mount and good ammo should be good for 150 yard shots on deer. The short turkey barrel isn’t as short as the security barrel but it is shorter than the waterfowl barrel and works fine for most applications. The two smooth bore barrels have interchangeable chokes too so all together it’s basically the perfect gun for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and did the trade before getting back online.

The original barrel was a non-IC unchoked 18.5" and the "new" one is a 26" IC barrel with an old C-lect choke. Although not the best choke it is a huge improvement on the old barrel as I managed to hit a dove at about 40 yards on my first shot.

I would have loved to keep the old barrel as I had the option to just buy the one I traded for, but unfortunately, according to our law, each barrel requires a new license.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
I have a lot more shot-gun barrels than receivers
They all have their uses
Longer, shorter, choke-tubes, rifled, smooth, ported and non-ported
I use the Mossberg receivers
All have Magpul stocks
Agree with the notion that chokes matter
But also, wads matter to a lesser degree
Flite-Control is your friend

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and did the trade before getting back online.

The original barrel was a non-IC unchoked 18.5" and the "new" one is a 24" IC barrel with an old C-lect choke. Although not the best choke it is a huge improvement on the old barrel as I managed to hit a dove at about 40 yards on my first shot.

I would have loved to keep the old barrel as I had the option to just buy the one I traded for, but unfortunately, according to our law, each barrel requires a new license.

What country are you in that barrels are registered/licensed?

I’m in Canada and we have some illogical and complex gun laws so I like to learn how bad it is elsewhere!

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,672 Posts
Hamrammr, I don't know what your laws are like, but a spare barrel for the shotgun you have in hand would probably be doable within your legal restrictions. The short barrel gun has its uses indoors, but it won't likely carry well to hunting distances.

A longer hunting barrel would cure that, and would give you the option in time of need.
This is my thinking as well. If you cannot have more guns, then an extra barrel of different length is a ideal solution. Swapping the barrel on a Mossberg takes less than 5 minutes and is simple. If you can change a lightbulb you can swap a barrel. You could have 3 barrels, actually. A short one for defense, a long smooth bore for small game utilizing birdshot, and a rifled barrel for large game and slugs.

If you can only have one, I cannot answer that given the information. What do you expect to need more regularly? How is your homestead laid out, and what other guns do you have for defense or hunting?

I'd go with spare barrels, because they are just "parts" and not firearms.

Edit: Nevermind. I see you already made the trade and barrels apparently are restricted. Which is odd, but whatever. Best of luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does your wife or others that live in your house need four new guns?
Does it work that way?
We are looking into it. She will first have to do her competency and training which will amount to about 250USD. Then we'll have to get a second safe as she can't have access to mine and vice versa, which would be another 450USD. Glocks for example sell for around 650USD.

It is very expensive and to be frank while not in financial trouble, we need to look after every cent, as our economy is rapidly tanking. A very bad downturn is expected later this year together with tax hikes.

I would also have to be accompanied by her when using her guns. Our laws are very complicated, restrictive and you may be punished by a lengthy prison sentence for non-compliance.

I had a C-leckt choke many years ago and if I remember correctly, it was very functional.
It does seem like it at the moment. I wanted to go after some Guinea Fowl or Warthog after work but we unexpectedly received a good amount of persistent rain. It is good as we had 7 extremely dry years with less than 4 inches per year where it should be around 11.5 per year. I am very eager to go shoot it some more!

I have a lot more shot-gun barrels than receivers
They all have their uses
Longer, shorter, choke-tubes, rifled, smooth, ported and non-ported
I use the Mossberg receivers
All have Magpul stocks
Agree with the notion that chokes matter
But also, wads matter to a lesser degree
Flite-Control is your friend
You guys are very lucky! Wish we had such common sense laws over here. We may own stocks, triggers etc but receivers, frames and barrels are all controlled over here. Even if a barrel is not serialized you may still only own the one on your gun. Having a second one would be the same as possessing an unlicensed firearm which would result in a lengthy prison stay.

The only thing that we have going for us is that the use of suppressors is encouraged, and SBR laws are basically non-existent. Also none of that magazine capacity limit nonsense that some states have.

What country are you in that barrels are registered/licensed?

I’m in Canada and we have some illogical and complex gun laws so I like to learn how bad it is elsewhere!

I am from South Africa. I know your laws are also very strict with no self defense use of a firearm permitted if I am correct? That said I bet it is not really needed aside from exceptional cases. My brother and his family is on their way to go farm for someone in Nipawin in August. Hopefully I'll be able to join him in the future.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in Canada self defence is 100% legal. Unfortunately unless it is 1000% clear you had no choice, your life is probably screwed. People go bankrupt defending their actions in court.

The main difference between us and much of the US is our firearms can’t be carried around for self defence. You’re only ever going to have access to your firearms for defensive purposes inside your home, at the range, or while out hunting. Someone decides to attack you while walking home from the store you’re screwed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts