Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share a really good book recommendation with you all, called Shop Class as Soulcraft

http://www.matthewbcrawford.com/

Basic synopsis is that there is incredible value in developing material trade skills in a time when society is increasingly focused on developing "knowledge workers." Supports the idea of overall self-reliance... relatively short read if you can get your hands on a copy... I loved it.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
The premise is great, and I think everyone here would agree with it. The writing, however, is terrible. He seems to be primarily interested in convincing people how smart he is by writing in a very high brow, and difficult to understand style. He also likes to mention his degrees a lot.

Very hard to read. I didn't bother to finish it. I read to learn, or to escape. Neither was happening with this book.

Az

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The premise is great, and I think everyone here would agree with it. The writing, however, is terrible. He seems to be primarily interested in convincing people how smart he is by writing in a very high brow, and difficult to understand style. He also likes to mention his degrees a lot.

Very hard to read. I didn't bother to finish it. I read to learn, or to escape. Neither was happening with this book.

Az
yea he had some kind of english degree, but as i enjoy non-fiction in general, i really enjoyed the anecdotes in this one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The premise is great, and I think everyone here would agree with it. The writing, however, is terrible. Very hard to read. I didn't bother to finish it.
x2.....me either!

I could follow along with his ideals just fine...I loved 'em in fact. :thumb:

but his "I ate a dictonary for breakfast" writing style soon had me sleeping. :sleep: :xeye:

·
Registered
214 Posts
x2.....me either!

I could follow along with his ideals just fine...I loved 'em in fact. :thumb:

but his "I ate a dictonary for breakfast" writing style soon had me sleeping. :sleep: :xeye:
LOL sounds like the people I know with 50 thousand dollar English degrees, using every word under the sun to try to justify the expense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts