Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just gave me a box of old shotshells.
I was hesitant at first as they were 15-20 years old!

Everything was ok as the Benelli shot 'em out like a pro'! :)

My thinking now is, if 15-20 year ammo is ok to shoot, what about 30-50 year old ammo or even 100 YEAR ammo?

Has anyone done serious research into this??

·
Banned
807 Posts
my grandpa has a 1880 something colt 45 peace maker, he has a holster and some old ammo for it from when he was about 20 he said. well he is 79 now so thats 59 year old ammo and i admit i was scared to shoot it 1 because it hadnt been shot in a very long time and 2 the ammo was kinda carroded. well i loaded one in stuck my hand around the corner of the barn and it fired fine. the only reason why i took a chance is because he begged me to shoot it

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Shotshells might not be as stable as center fire handgun/rifle, depending.

Here's me shooting some from the 60's. About same results or worse with the next two pipefulls too. Even the ones that went bang were much reduced, just didn't ignite all the powder evenly or at all. In fairness, these were all paper shells, though. Lo rez cell phone video.

- OS

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my grandpa has a 1880 something colt 45 peace maker, he has a holster and some old ammo for it from when he was about 20 he said. well he is 79 now so thats 59 year old ammo and i admit i was scared to shoot it 1 because it hadnt been shot in a very long time and 2 the ammo was kinda carroded. well i loaded one in stuck my hand around the corner of the barn and it fired fine. the only reason why i took a chance is because he begged me to shoot it
Excellent stuff, did you shoot the rest of the ammo or just that one?

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
Paper hulls often swell a bit from moisture over the years so it might not want to chamber or extract as smoothly as modern ammo but ammo doesn't go bad simply from age.

r

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Excellent stuff, did you shoot the rest of the ammo or just that one?
Shot three more 6 tube loads, didn't have but about 25 shells. All were old various brand paper bird shot loads. Had been in a dry attic for right about 50 years, since I was a kid shooting my granddad's double barrel Remington 1900 12 gauge.

The guy with the phone video didn't get the other runs.

Each run had 2 or 3 flame outs, plus as I said, the ones that did go bang were variable power, you could hear and feel them not being consistent. A few times, you could actually see the shot in flight. :)

- OS

·
Banned
807 Posts
i shot just that one. it was fun never shot a colt 45 befor, i thought they were the same as a 45 acp so now i got a box of 45 with no gun to shoot, guess i gotta get a 45. one day.

·
Registered
468 Posts
LOL you think 10-15 years is old for sealed plastic shotgun shells.
Its not, i have boxes of slugs , birdshoot, and buckshot, some dating back to the late 80's that still work like new. i keep them in a dry place. yes i have stacks of them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I shot a buffalo with a 130 year old cartridge. Over 3 feet of penatration. Of the 12 buffalo havested, this one was the second fastest to die, so I guess your 20 year old ammo will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've shot all my gramps paper shotshells without a problem. He also horded quite abit of rifle rounds that fired without issue. Mostly I think it had to do with the Gun Cabinet he had built and the fact it was "climate controlled" from outside air and a wood stove. To this day I still look for cheap older ammo deals.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,810 Posts
I shot up a box or two from the 50's last year. The smoke was acrid but they shot fine. Paper casings. Just make sure there is no corrosion around the primers. Save the boxes (and maybe a round or two) as there are collectors out there.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shot up a box or two from the 50's last year. The smoke was acrid but they shot fine. Paper casings. Just make sure there is no corrosion around the primers. Save the boxes (and maybe a round or two) as there are collectors out there.
Well, I the old shells I shot DID have some corrosion around the primers but not ON the the primer itself.
Nothing too deep (corrosionwise) either.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
20-30 is nothing for plastic hull shells.

I have ones older than that and they work just fine.

Paper ones I would be a lot more hesitant about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts