Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to our jobs as travel nurses, we move around from state to state a lot. This can be a hassle when it comes to keeping up with each and every state gun law. Some states have "castle" laws and some don't.

When my better half asked me, "Whats the best way to deal with a burglar?" I tell her....

1) Let em get inside.
2) Double-Tap center mass and one to the head.
3) Immediately fire 2 shots into the ceiling.
4) Call the cops. When they get there tell them, "He broke in, I fired 2 warning shots into the ceiling. He kept coming, so I shot him."

Would love some input from others as to their tips, even some LEO input.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Never fire warning shots, it's shows you had time to think and perhaps evac the room to another area. Hope you don't live in a down stairs apartment complex.

·
III
1,254 Posts
Her training has her putting as many in him as it takes to put him down hard,no movement. Call 911 and then call the attorney then me.Unload when the police arrive and say nothing until the attorney arrives.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Never fire warning shots, it's shows you had time to think and perhaps evac the room to another area. Hope you don't live in a down stairs apartment complex.

I'll leave the evac to fire drills at work. Im not going to evac my own house cause some piece of trash decided he wants my stuff. I can think of one outcome and its him in a body bag headed to the county coroner to remove my bullets from his torso.

They removed the 'fear for your life' crap from our state laws and gave us castle doctrine and immunity from any civil suit that may arise.

They also extended our castle doctrine to our vehicles so we can conceal a handgun in our own vehicle now as well.

The newest law comes sept 1st, can keep my gun in my car at work since employers are now prohibited from banning guns in cars in your place of employment.

Sorry, I'm not going to tell anyone I feared for my life and I sure as hell ain't going to run away. I didn't buy a handgun to run. I fully plan on making sure this felon leaves my house in a bag. I didn't kill him. He committed suicide by picking the wrong house to rob.

·
reading since 2008
895 Posts
the only advice i would give is to have her fire until the threat is over...and then call police and tell them that their was a break in and a shooting thats it.go outside unarmed and wait

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I'll leave the evac to fire drills at work. Im not going to evac my own house cause some piece of trash decided he wants my stuff. I can think of one outcome and its him in a body bag headed to the county coroner to remove my bullets from his torso.

They removed the 'fear for your life' crap from our state laws and gave us castle doctrine and immunity from any civil suit that may arise.

They also extended our castle doctrine to our vehicles so we can conceal a handgun in our own vehicle now as well.

The newest law comes sept 1st, can keep my gun in my car at work since employers are now prohibited from banning guns in cars in your place of employment.

Sorry, I'm not going to tell anyone I feared for my life and I sure as hell ain't going to run away. I didn't buy a handgun to run. I fully plan on making sure this felon leaves my house in a bag. I didn't kill him. He committed suicide by picking the wrong house to rob.
It's rather apparent you didn't understand what I said.
Never fire a warning shot, period. thats not hard to understand I even gave a reason for an intelligent person to enforce the reasoning.

Reactions: onealx4

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
You guys have a lawyer on retainer?
nope just investigated enough shootings to have a reasonable mans understanding.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Bad advice.

Never talk to the cops.

You should say ONE thing.

"I was in fear for my life and I wish to speak with my attorney."

NOTHING ELSE, NOTHING.
Gotta quote this!!!!
I'll look for the youtube former det. stating NEVER talk to him EVER!!!! EVER!!! NEVER!!!! His words "We are not your friend. We HAVE raked good people over the coals for a clean shooting.":taped:

I've been told to **** my pants by more than one Det. I would like to know if you say you want a lawyer. Will they go find you one if you haven't been charged? How does that work. I didn't have to go through any of this after Katrina. :confused:The cops showed up. I told them they came after me w/ knives and , well there they are. "No problem", and took 'em away in a front loader:eek:.(I completely forgot to **** myself though.LOL);) My life was in danger, but I still did what I did. That will NEVER change. I would do it again though in a minute too.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's rather apparent you didn't understand what I said.
Never fire a warning shot, period. thats not hard to understand I even gave a reason for an intelligent person to enforce the reasoning.
Its not the never fire a warning shot part I disagree with. You stated never fire a warning shot because "it's shows you had time to think and perhaps evac the room to another area"

This is the part I disagree with. Where I live, we do not have a duty to retreat.

Our castle doctrine statute states:

A person is presumed justified in using deadly force to protect themselves against an unlawful, forceful intrusion into their dwelling. There is no duty to retreat from any place where the shooter has a legal right to be.

Wiki on our state law:

On March 27, 2007, Governor Rick Perry signed Senate Bill 378 into law, making Texas a "Castle Doctrine" state which came into effect September 1, 2007.[294] Residents lawfully occupying a dwelling may shoot a person who "unlawfully, and with force, enters or attempts to enter the dwelling", or who removes or attempts to remove someone from that dwelling, or who commits or attempts to commit a "qualifying" felony such as burglary, arson, rape, aggravated assault, robbery or murder. In addition, a shooter who has a legal right to be wherever he/she is at the time of a defensive shooting has no "duty to retreat" before being justified in shooting; the "trier of fact" may not consider whether the person retreated when deciding whether the person was justified in shooting.

I with you on never firing warning shots. Thats just wasting good ammunition. At the same time, I'm not going to retreat, I'm going to shoot and I don't plan on stopping until the guy hits the ground.

Hope this clears it up..

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,789 Posts
Something else you need to tell her is that she needs to empty the gun into him. That shows that it was a panic situation and she just fired until the gun emptied. That would be evidence as fear for her life.

·
2,979 Posts
I disagree with never talking to the cops.

The video with the cop and the attorney is often mentioned. Hmmm.. I wonder why an attorney (and the cop who proabably works for him as a consultant) would encourage you to clam up and call him. Maybe so you can pay him 200 an hour to sit there while you give the statement to the cops.

It's your call but here's something to think about:

If you smoke someone, a homicide has been committed. If you don't give a statement to the cops other than the recommended, "I was in fear for my life and I shot him" then you can count on being arrested, booked, and spending the night in jail until your attorney can come down whenever.

And once booked, you will now have an arrest record that even once cleared will have to be explained to anyone who may be inquiring (future employers, etc.).

I don't know a cop who would not be fully supportive of you blasting an intruder. Hell, many would probably give you free advice on what to say before you talk to the detectives.

If you were in compliance with the law then don't be afraid to make your statement. I tell you this because I would do it myself.

Taking the hard line is often unnecessary and counterproductive for you.

Poppaluv..... No, they won't go find you a lawyer. You'll have to make those arrangements yourself at your expense.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts