Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm really new to all this (preparedness/defense, etc.) and looking to expand my EDC/BOB capabilities. I've watched all the YouTube videos I could find and learned a lot. I have a good idea what gear I want to start off with and what I want to graduate to as my knowledge grows (gear w/out knowledge is useless).

Right now I'm looking at bags and packs and I could really use some advice from more experienced members.

To expand my EDC I was looking at the Nite-Ize Hip Pock-its and or Clip-Tool holster thingy (the one for multi-tool/flashlight). Has anyone had any experience w/those?

Should I get MOLLE compatible belt-packs instead so they can be lashed to a vest/backpack if needed at a later date?(I'm pretty sure that's a yes to this)

What brands of MOLLE gear are good and which aren't? Is Maxpedition worth all the hype? Anyone have experience with Leapers/Condor/CTD or any cheaper alternatives? Starting a system from scratch is expensive.

Last, but not least, the title of my post. While having a modular packing system from EDC to "Yellow Event" is my ultimate goal, should I/how do I disguise my capabilities?

Everyone on YouTube is fine with all this "Tactical Gear" (as am I, I like the colors) but I'm concerned that from EDC down to BOB/GHB that all this military-looking gear will mark me for more experienced 'wolves' as "shoot him first" (using the "Nutnfancy" Sheep/Wolves/Sheepdog analogy).

I prefer to fly under the radar. Does anybody have any suggestions on that front? (Maxpedition sells some "civilian" colors, but only from them and only a few things). Am I better off with "civilian" products(trying to stay away from "fanny-packs" lol)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
350 Posts
I was given a worthwhile tidbit awhile back that I've used.

At least for what's visible to others, beat your gear up a little. If nothing else, get it dirty. Make it look used. The predatory types out there will pick out those that look like they're new to the environment. If it looks like you and your equipment have been around the proverbial block a few times, you are less likely to be picked out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
defense - defending my home.

approach - coming up my driveway.

I do not need/want anyone on my property who is prepared for a firefight.
Someone approaching looking like a warrior will not be welcome.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. If SHTF in a WROL-type way, I'm going to be aware of that too (and even every day, I tend to be respectful of people and their property).

What I'm more concerned with is more ROL, every-day scenarios. Say I'm in a bank and 4 guys come in w/AKs- will they shoot the guy with the MOLLE pouch on the belt 1st? What about a nut-job workplace shooting? Will stuff like that in colors like khaki or foliage green be okay (not as threatening...even if I am a threat)?

@momof4survivor- I'm not asking because I want to be "rambo" or militia or w/e. Actually quite the opposite. I'm just looking for the best quality gear to be prepared to aid or defend myself/loved-ones/fellow citizens. It seems that the best gear for packing EDC/First-aid/Survival gear is "military" in construction and appearance. I just don't want to get shot for it lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was given a worthwhile tidbit awhile back that I've used.

At least for what's visible to others, beat your gear up a little. If nothing else, get it dirty. Make it look used. The predatory types out there will pick out those that look like they're new to the environment. If it looks like you and your equipment have been around the proverbial block a few times, you are less likely to be picked out.
TY BScout, that does sound smart.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
"To expand my EDC I was looking at the Nite-Ize Hip Pock-its and or Clip-Tool holster thingy (the one for multi-tool/flashlight). Has anyone had any experience w/those?"

I've gone through three, the last quicker than the first so IMO they are not making them as well as they did. I wore mine pretty much any time I was awake so it got a lot of wear. The newer ones have a plastic belt clip I can see snapping off in a tight space. I think something mil-spec would be more dependable on the long haul. I'm sure someone here will have a suggestion or three...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In my opinion all your EDC items should fit on your person. Don't carry a bag around with you everywhere.

Gerber, gun, flashlight, knife -- I have these on my person at all times. Additional gear, water, etc. is in my car should I need it.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
Why? Just so I know. You will be teaching me how I need to think.
You will stand out like a sore thumb.
A very important of survival is knowing how to camouflage.

Urban camouflage is normal casual clothing and ideally SHTF would happen in the winter, this way you can conceal a weapon for self-defense.

But then again, ideally almost never happens... so you gotta be creative.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
In my experience, the folks that are covered head to toe with the latest and greatest "tactical gear" usually have zero real world experience. At least around here if you show up with anything more than a ball cap from 5.11 we know you are probably a poser. At the very least we know you aren't a local.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my opinion all your EDC items should fit on your person. Don't carry a bag around with you everywhere.

Gerber, gun, flashlight, knife -- I have these on my person at all times. Additional gear, water, etc. is in my car should I need it.
I don't intend to carry a bag all the time, but I would like a little more capability if I'm not wearing cargo pants/shorts.

My Ideal EDC would have some IFAK-type stuff as well and that's not really pocket-able (that I've found). Yes, my car would have a Lvl II FAK and a bunch of other goodies but running to the car isn't always an option in a 'first-responder' type situation.

Say someone needs medical care (me, loved one, general citizen), I'd rather be able to start off w/some gloves 4x4 pads, cling-gauze, maybe a small quick-clot than hold a t-shirt on it while I or someone else has to run 2-4 blocks to my car (in more urban situation).

I'd also like the capability of CS spray/extra mags/etc. for personal defense in some cases and was thinking of the best way to carry covertly.

I think I like a more modular approach for BOB/GHB type items and was thinking MOLLE was the better route due to belt-to-bag-to pack functionality.

I don't need a full LBE set-up/full capability, but a decent belt pouch (or more depending on the situation)would be nice.

Thanks to Allergyfree, I think I've nixed the Nite-Ize (they do look a little chincey). So...what does everyone else use? Is there a less expensive version than Maxpedition that you use/trust?

Thanks again for all the great posts, you've all been very helpful!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my experience, the folks that are covered head to toe with the latest and greatest "tactical gear" usually have zero real world experience. At least around here if you show up with anything more than a ball cap from 5.11 we know you are probably a poser. At the very least we know you aren't a local.
I agree! I've seen plenty of Chairbourne Rangers myself lol.

I'm not looking for "full tactical" gear, just gear that suits my needs. As a matter of fact, my post is more about how to get the functionality w/out making a scene or trying to look "cool". I'd love it if someone made the type of gear I want in subdued normal colors. If anyone knows who does (for less than an arm & a leg) I'd be much obliged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nite-Ize Hip Pock-its and or Clip-Tool holster thingy (the one for multi-tool/flashlight).

I Have used one for some time now and it has held up quite well. Keeps your light and Gerber handy and also has a pouch to put larger items like a wrench or two. A piece of leather in the bottom of the multi-tool pocket will keep a needle nose Gerber from poking through.

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
I wore Carhartts ... when Carhartts wasn't cool ...
(sung to the tune of 'I was country, when country wasn't cool')

I was in a goose blind once with a guy who looked like a page out of the Cabella's catalog.
I had my chore clothes on.

I had my Dad's old 1100 12ga, and he had a Benelli 10ga.

I think he looked more out-of-place than I did ... I shot the geese.

If I wanted to walk up to a place without appearing threatening, I'd have along nothing but a pail.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've watched all the YouTube videos I could find and learned a lot.

Good Lord... really?

You will not blend. Therefore easily neutralized. The title of your post is fitting.

I prefer to fly under the radar.

Yeah dress in tactical gear cause it won't be obvious....:rolleyes:

Go in hard right down the middle.

How about this.. safe some cash and sign up for a self defense/tactical weapons class. The gear choices after that will be easy.. and hell you might learn something.

If you look like you're out looking to fight.. you will find one. Subtleness is a value and approach ignorantly overlooked.

·
350 Posts
I've watched all the YouTube videos I could find and learned a lot.

Good Lord... really?

You will not blend. Therefore easily neutralized. The title of your post is fitting.

I prefer to fly under the radar.

Yeah dress in tactical gear cause it won't be obvious....:rolleyes:
My glasses are dirty and maybe I'm not seeing what you are.

Apparently, you and I read different things out of what he posted. I underlined (below) what I saw from his posts which appears to contradict the flaming you just laid out. I see it as he's asking for suggestions.

Everyone on YouTube is fine with all this "Tactical Gear" (as am I, I like the colors) but I'm concerned that from EDC down to BOB/GHB that all this military-looking gear will mark me for more experienced 'wolves' as "shoot him first" (using the "Nutnfancy" Sheep/Wolves/Sheepdog analogy).

I prefer to fly under the radar. Does anybody have any suggestions on that front? (Maxpedition sells some "civilian" colors, but only from them and only a few things). Am I better off with "civilian" products(trying to stay away from "fanny-packs" lol)?

·
Registered
474 Posts
errr opps.. was doing from the BlackBerry... damn technology and bad reading skills on my parts.

I stand corrected and apologize.

In that case wear size larger clothing a keep the goodies concealed. As one said earlier drag it behind the care for a mile or 2... ;-)

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
It all depends on your location and people around you. You will stand out if everyone around you are in camo and you are the only one sporting blaze orange. Also if you are in an urban setting, Mall ninja will be spotted a mile away (Even if wearing all black).

They have a saying in Flyfishing... match the hatch.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts