Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the best shoes to have? The shoes you could live in. I am flat footed, and will be packing a baby so they have to be light weight and durable.

i don't want big boots, but some sort of hiking shoe/boot. thanks for your suggestions.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
what are the best shoes to have? The shoes you could live in. I am flat footed, and will be packing a baby so they have to be light weight and durable.

i don't want big boots, but some sort of hiking shoe/boot. thanks for your suggestions.
ive had some good luck with merrells . mostly the moab ventilators low's. only down fall is they aren't goretex but they make a version that is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I only use mil boots, but I'm currently evaluating options for Mrs MCLMM - she didn't like her tiny milsurp ICB boots - says they made her look too much like Cameron off the new Terminator TV series.

We are looking at a civilian hiking boot. It doesn't need to be goretex, but it does need to be tough, reasonably light and damned comfortable, with little breaking in. I'll post back here when we've decided, but I've got a money saving tip for you:

Try em on in the shops, then go onto ebay and find the same thing in the same size for a deep discount.

I've heard nothing but good things about Merrell boots, but they are pricey downtown.

Go to to http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ and check out some of their reviews of various makes and models of boots (and other gear).

Hope it helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great advice thanks!
I only use mil boots, but I'm currently evaluating options for Mrs MCLMM - she didn't like her tiny milsurp ICB boots - says they made her look too much like Cameron off the new Terminator TV series.

We are looking at a civilian hiking boot. It doesn't need to be goretex, but it does need to be tough, reasonably light and damned comfortable, with little breaking in. I'll post back here when we've decided, but I've got a money saving tip for you:

Try em on in the shops, then go onto ebay and find the same thing in the same size for a deep discount.

I've heard nothing but good things about Merrell boots, but they are pricey downtown.

Go to to http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ and check out some of their reviews of various makes and models of boots (and other gear).

Hope it helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
My favorite hiking boots are the mid cut Columbia boots and the Original SWAT Sierra boot. Mid cut boots just works better for me. I"m also very comfortable with the Adidas and New Balance all terrain course running shoes. There are great for long walks and urban trekking.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
I like my CG uniform Boondockers I wear them constantly anyway and plus finding my size is hard enough already in normal shoes. Had them for a year and a half put them through almost everything. They are great only a couple scratches so far and still my most comfortable shoes lol

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I second Rednecknoise...
My Moab Ventilators have made several backpacking trips, and a couple were Colorado 14'ers. Mine are the mid version, so more bootlike, but the first time out, fresh out of the box, I felt like RUNNING with my 35 lb pack on...and I DON'T RUN. Well, unless a lion is chasing me. So yeah, they are VERY comfortable, light, and though not Goretex (which you wouldn't want if you got the low version and had the occasion to step in puddles, as water IN Goretex boots/shoes STAYS in Goretex boots/shoes. On the contrary, they actually are very warm yet ventilated so well that a wet boot dries out very fast while wearing. Hope that helps.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts

first off let me stress if you have flat feet and your standing or hiking with gear on for extended times you can hurt your lower back. ive found new balance has quite a selection of shoes for folks with flat feet. make sure (obviously) whatever you get its comfortable for you. personally i use new balance cuz of my flat feet they are a bit expensive but worth it. especially when top gets mad and we run 5 or 6 miles instead of 3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts