Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've noticed shows like Doomsday Prepper's with people using shipping containers as underground shelters for a shtf situation and did some looking online about it. I found a few links that say NOT to do this. Just thought I would bring up the topic and see what everyone thought about it. Any ideas, suggestions or improvements that could be made to keep a shipping container from collapsing in on itself from the pressure of the soil surrounding it?

Something like this would be ideal as an entrance. However better concealed.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have terrible insulation dont they?
I've heard you can insulate them fairly well and even add drywall in them. To my understanding though, you have to reinforce them basically from front to back, side to side and top to bottom. That's why I came here for more information.

·
straight shooter
2,164 Posts
I've also read that burying them is not a good idea due to rusting and the pressure from the dirt as you mentioned. However, people have buried super large corrugated pipe with success so maybe shape is a factor as well. Good old concrete works the best and if it weren't for the clay soil I'd buy a new septic tank and bury it for a bunker. Cest le vie.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I don't know but culverts seem to have the proper shape and strength to withstand soil pressure. Put container in it?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
Shipping containers are ok Above ground but would be pretty expensive to prepare one for below ground. As seen in the pics in the OP - original post of this thread the container already looks like it is dented along the side. And I would paint the outside with two coats of Rust-o-leum paint such as hammered black or even a coat of pick-up truck bed liner.
And cover the roof and sides with plastic tarps etc. for more protection so it won't rust out too soon.

Then cover the outside of the shipping container with 4x4 lumber or large logs if possible. Steel beams would be excellent over the roof and possibly the sides but would be very expensive. The link below goes into detail telling why Not to use a shipping container below ground.>

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=148884

And throughout this long excellent thread there are many links, pics and info on all kinds of bunkers and other protective structures >
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Shipping containers are meant to house goods movi from place to place,

Above ground they rust and leak

Below ground they rust and leak

Below ground if not reinforced they collapse.

Use purpose built materials, by the time you end up "improving (making rust resistant, patching, roofim reinforcing...)

You may as well have bought rectangular culvert (below ground) and a metal building (above ground)

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would be a good item to use in place of a shipping container for a bunker? Something that can already handle the weight of dirt being placed around it and doesn't have windows like a school bus or mobile home? Something that is also fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
What would be a good item to use in place of a shipping container for a bunker? Something that can already handle the weight of dirt being placed around it and doesn't have windows like a school bus or mobile home? Something that is also fairly inexpensive.
http://www.google.com/search?q=conc...rds.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D184646;715;484

You could buy new (they really aren't that expensive if your just looking for a section or 2. More than that of a shipping container, but once you've reinforced and waterproofed (tried) the shipping container, your really not that far off)

And you can always look around for the "leftovers" which you can usually get cheap.

Square/box culverts come as a whole, or a pair of halves like in the pic at link.
And it's INTENDED to be burried and support weight of dirt... And heavy equipment on top THAT!

I'd rather not have a large expensive coffin! (PARTICULARELY when I'm still alive!)

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Box culvert. :thumb:

·
Registered
838 Posts
You can buy a storm shelter, installed, for around $6k. They are engineered for this purpose. Other than that, call an engineer. I did see recently about a trailer park near birmingham that uses a school bus as a community storm shelter so you may be on to something there. Good luck.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Bugging in in a bunker is a terrible idea for many reasons.

1. The temperature below ground is a constant 54 degrees F so it will be cold.

2. Earthquakes

3. Virtually impossible to install one without everyone within 5 miles knowing about it. WTSHTF they will remember seeing it brought in and figure out what it was for.

4. All bunkers must have a vent to let CO2 out and oxygen in. All the bad guys have to do is cover the vent with plastic or build a fire around it. When the people inside come out for air you are easy targets to be picked off.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
Bugging in in a bunker is a terrible idea for many reasons.

1. The temperature below ground is a constant 54 degrees F so it will be cold.

2. Earthquakes

3. Virtually impossible to install one without everyone within 5 miles knowing about it. WTSHTF they will remember seeing it brought in and figure out what it was for.

4. All bunkers must have a vent to let CO2 out and oxygen in. All the bad guys have to do is cover the vent with plastic or build a fire around it. When the people inside come out for air you are easy targets to be picked off.
Bugging in a regular normal society approved house is better and safer than a bunker?

I am not picking on you Mato and I am glad you posted since I have answered your and many other questions and comments about bunkers before. All the good it does but sometimes a few appreciate what I share and what I have learned from actually building a bunker / shelter.
Bunkers are great for secure storage which is what I have mostly used mine for since 1996. I am sure all who have died in tornadoes or hurricanes wish they would have had a bunker or some kind of good storm shelter instead of a house or trailer.

For privacy people can have a tall privacy fence around the area you are building. Which is why I like bunkers / storm shelters that one can build piece by piece and not a 20 or 40 foot container that one must have heavy equipment to move it in.

Many I have read and what I have experienced is that the 50 degree temperature is a good thing especially for storage such as a root cellar. And not too difficult to heat an underground structure although one should have good ventilation. I have 2 small woodstoves in my bunker - underground cabin shelter.

About vents is that one should camoflage them well and also have ports to look or shoot out of. A house can easily be burned down but not too easy to burn or even destroy a bunker.

Here is the thread which many must ignore but which tells all about all kinds of bunkers and other good shelters even in just the first two pages > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

The bunker I built and which is told about in the first two posts in the link above cost me around $100 to build in 1995 to 1997 then about $2,000 for the 250 eighty pound bags of concrete, nails, spikes, paint etc. and I still try to improve it.

If anyone has a bit of land or can acquire access to a lot etc. I do not understand why they don't build some kind of protective bunker or at Least a storm shelter.
Or at the very least learn how to build a bunker - here are some very inexpensive plans for a fallout shelter which can also be used as a storm / storage shelter > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm
and I used those plans, when I built my bunker - shelter, from the paper book I had bought in 1982.

And here is a bunker shootout video thread which WR and I made in 2012 on my mtn retreat and made the video for fun but also showing how it might work out if some raiders would ever try to attack the bunker on my mountain > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=286361

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
One in the picture looks like it has damage to the side. Which further reduces the strength of the container. I'm sure you could weld reinforcements to a container to improve the weight capability. If you do that yourself it might not add too much cost.

·
Survivor
16,509 Posts
I did a cost breakdown and decided that I can build a dry stacked cinder block bunker using surface bonding cement inside and out for strength for less money per square foot. Not to mention that SBC is designed to build water storage tanks so would be waterproof.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Forget the shipping container for an underground structure - too much prep to make it safe and watertight.

You could build an underground root cellar with concrete blocks and you will have a "bunker" if needed for a short term event and have a place to store veggies / supplies if needed.

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
The time, materials, and cost of making a shipping container safe for underground is far more than just pouring a concrete bunker or using cinderblock.

Above ground there are some pretty good designs out there to work with.

As for building anything discretely then if anyone has a view then likely everyone will know at some point. Better to work with misdirection. Tell everyone you are making a big root cellar or a tornado shelter.

Reactions: Ricekila
1 - 20 of 72 Posts