Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Indefatigable
20,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only serious childhood illness I had was the chicken pox. I was in the hospital a week and nearly died. My husband gets shingles and I do not want to go through that! This thread is not to discuss the pros and cons of the vaccine. I WILL be taking the vaccine but I would like to hear from others who have already taken it about the side effects they experienced.

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
My wife took it 2 years ago. She is very very sensitive to meds, I'll leave be it at that but if you want to pm me I can discuss it further. She hasn't had any problems from the vaccine, thank God.

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts
Three older family members have gotten the vaccine with no side effects to report.

Two older family members have gotten shingles (no vaccine) and were miserable (one hospitalized).

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
Get it. I had Shingles the last of January, got them in my right eye, (blisters directly on the cornea), and am still suffering from double vision.

I don't want ANYONE to go through what I am, trust me, this sucks.

GET THE SHOT!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
BTW, while you're at it get the pneumonia vaccines that are available - PCV13 (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine), PPSV23 (pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine).

I got these when I turned 65 about the time I got the shingles vaccine. They are highly recommended for adults 65 and older, but I believe being 65 is not a requirement to get the shots. These two protect against a total of 36 strains of pneumonia plus blood infections.

Pneumonia can kill you at any age, but the older you get the more likely your body's resistance won't be able to fight it off and you will die.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
563 Posts
Get it. I had Shingles the last of January, got them in my right eye, (blisters directly on the cornea), and am still suffering from double vision.

I don't want ANYONE to go through what I am, trust me, this sucks.

GET THE SHOT![/QUOTE.

+1 on that. I have nerve damage from my 1st attack ( New Years '17)
I healed about 99% .... then, I got my 2nd , a reaccurance or relapse around Feb. 3rd. As nerve damage is still AFFECTING my shoulder blade, & underarm.
Last affected area is between my shoulder blades , over my spine.
Bunrning, iching, rapid spasms.....sometimes all together.

★ GET THE SHOT★]

·
In a rifted Pangea...
2,202 Posts
question....

Can you get shingles more than once?

I had it a few years ago. It sucked. I am a sissy when it comes to pain, but I have to admit it wasn't that bad. Are there such things as mild cases? I think I must have. I hate taking pills, so I never filled the script for painkillers. It just was a really uncomfortable week.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
TDAP needs a booster every 10 years or even less if you get a contaminated wound.

Insurance may or may not pay for shingles vaccine before age 60. Costs about $200. There is no approved booster yet. It is only effective a little over half the time. As you get older some symptoms like pain and burning tend to be worse, that's why the vaccine is delayed.

·
youtube.com/Kraka069
333 Posts
BTW, while you're at it get the pneumonia vaccines that are available - PCV13 (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine), PPSV23 (pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine).

I got these when I turned 65 about the time I got the shingles vaccine. They are highly recommended for adults 65 and older, but I believe being 65 is not a requirement to get the shots. These two protect against a total of 36 strains of pneumonia plus blood infections.

Pneumonia can kill you at any age, but the older you get the more likely your body's resistance won't be able to fight it off and you will die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pneumonia_victims

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
The only serious childhood illness I had was the chicken pox. I was in the hospital a week and nearly died. My husband gets shingles and I do not want to go through that! This thread is not to discuss the pros and cons of the vaccine. I WILL be taking the vaccine but I would like to hear from others who have already taken it about the side effects they experienced.
At age 56, I'd get it, personally. Good call. I have no personal experience with it, however.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
question....

Can you get shingles more than once?

I had it a few years ago. It sucked. I am a sissy when it comes to pain, but I have to admit it wasn't that bad. Are there such things as mild cases? I think I must have. I hate taking pills, so I never filled the script for painkillers. It just was a really uncomfortable week.
Yes. It's a resurgence of the herpes strand (Zoster) which has caused chicken pox. It lives in your spinal ganglia and can resurface any time the body's immune system is traumatized/burdened, or a physical trauma results.

·
Indefatigable
20,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
question....Can you get shingles more than once?
Yes and you can get it quite young. Hubby was 19 when he first had an outbreak there have been 1/2 dozen over the years and he is still not old enough for the vaccine.
TDAP needs a booster every 10 years or even less if you get a contaminated wound.
Insurance may or may not pay for shingles vaccine before age 60. Costs about $200. There is no approved booster yet. It is only effective a little over half the time. As you get older some symptoms like pain and burning tend to be worse, that's why the vaccine is delayed.
I was surprised and delighted to learn a pharmacist could give me the vaccine - no waiting for an appointment or a co-pay at the Drs office to deal with and that my insurance covers the cost completely after 55.
I will also be getting the pneumonia vaccine in the near future.

·
MyPrepperLife
4,127 Posts
I got the shingles vaccine about five years ago and didn't notice any side effects. I got it because my ophthalmologist recommended it, as getting shingles in your eyes could result in impaired vision.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got my shot, am not near 60, but my mother had it, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. ETA, no side effects other than a sore arm for a day.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
As mentioned there are two pneumonia vaccines and you should get both. They don't cover everything but statistically are shown to extend lifespan.

Good that you are taking care of yourself. Vaccines are just one way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts