Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been hiking with my pack more often these last few weeks and every time i get extremely painful shin splints for the first 30-60 minutes.. i stretch before and im fairly active day to day,,

i thought it would be a good idea to start running a few miles each night along with other exercises.. that last ab out 3 days, i had such bad splints i could hardly walk.... for a week.. not to mention my knew was killing me..

what can i do to help eliminate these painful shin splints? more stretching? different types of stretches? i want to run and cant do it until these are fixed..
thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the best way to deal with shin splints is pre not post. What I mean is that once you start noticing shin splints you need to lay off of the activity that caused it. Pre- I've found that an excercise called toe taps helps to preemptively address shin splint. You sit on the edge of your couch/chair and make sure that your knee is 90degrees and above your heels. then taps your toes in 50 count sets until fatigue. It does help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have suffered from shin splints in the past as well and my greatest advise given to me and that I have passed on to others is "properly fitted footwear!!!" ~ on top of the above recommended exercise (and yes like tapping a foot pedal) and stretches (pre and post). If you feel it at all, stop what you are doing ... ice and rest.

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think my "trail running shoes" might have something to with it..
sounds like there is no real solid cure for this.. ugh.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Shin splints can be very mysterious, come and go. Sometimes happen suddenly to people who have exercised regularly for years.
They have ended careers.
Usually more prevalent in folks who are out of shape though and cranking back up.

I started brisk walking a lot about 2 years ago, usually about 5 mi stretch. After first couple weeks starting having them, bad. I really didn't do more than put ice packs on shins when I got back. Then after a night's sleep they'd be gone, UNTIL I went walking again.

Anyway, over the course of about 3 weeks, they gradually got less, and finally disappeared, knock on wood.

Certainly, though, application of cold compresses after the fact is pretty universal advice.

- OS

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
so i have been hiking with my pack more often these last few weeks and every time i get extremely painful shin splints for the first 30-60 minutes.. i stretch before and im fairly active day to day,,

i thought it would be a good idea to start running a few miles each night along with other exercises.. that last ab out 3 days, i had such bad splints i could hardly walk.... for a week.. not to mention my knew was killing me..

what can i do to help eliminate these painful shin splints? more stretching? different types of stretches? i want to run and cant do it until these are fixed..
thanks.
Your body is telling you that you are doing TOO MUCH...Time to scale down in your training and recupe..Your body needs to mend itself.....I was never much into too much stretching...Some people can do more damage to their bodies especially to achielles tendons......:thumb:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Toe taps do work. When i first got my dog, i started walking more miles in a week then ever in my life. First thing you need to do is lay off the activity for a few days after the pain goes away, then start in with the toe taps. Then start with as little as a mile a day of walking. If you feel even a little pain, take a day or 2 off. It takes a long time to strengthen those muscles, and a while for them to heal. Took a good 6 months before i could jog 5 miles a day on a regular basis.

Nowadays, i like to spend some time on a 4' trampoline twice a week or so. That seems to really work my shins, and i dont want anything to do with splints again. The pain can make it hard to even step out of bed. I treated it like any other muscle and the results were the same as any other muscles i work out. Some reports say that once you have splints, you will always have em. Sounds like nonsense to me, but your mileage may vary.

The trampoline is also a good cardio option before a workout when its bitter cold and you cant afford a treadmill.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
I got shin splints when I was playing sports

The problem was my old cleats were worn down

I got a new pair and problem solved

Also, try Dr. Scholls gel inserts. They work like a charm, especially if you have to be on your feet for a long time.

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the replies, i will try the toe taps. i am on my feet all day,, walking, carrying stuff, and then go on hikes.. with a pack,, sooo... i guess i need to do the extra work outs slowly and work my way up... it was the running that got me.. that hurt...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have been working out and playing sports for many years and log hundreds of miles a year hiking. And I have had more shin splints then I can remember. They were usualy caused by periods of inactivity.

First of all like others have said you need to exercise the muscles on the front of your legs. I find this is done best using a resistance band. Hook it on your toes and anchor it away from you and pull your toes up toward the knee. Tis will make the small muscles on the shin sore for a while but after about a month you will be ready for strenuous activity shin splint free.

When hiking shin splints ar caused by focusing weight on the toes rather than the balls of the feet. Adjust your gate and adjust your manner in which you progress up hill in order to lestn the impact on these affected muscles.

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So its been a week or more since i ran or "walked heavily" and i did okay. I stretched throughout the day and right before i went tonight. started off walking and then ran, did about half of what i wanted to before i felt just a bit of pain,, i have a bad knee and that was hurting more so as soon as i felt pain i walked..
oh yeah I wore better running shoes time too...

·
Almost home
589 Posts
Make sure you are not running on your toes, except when sprinting. The heel of your foot should strike first, for most people, except when sprinting. Practice a light footstrike. Worn out, or poor fitting shoes also contribute to shin splints.
Lots of stretching may aggravate this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts