Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a two day hiking trip to scout a big area for hunting this fall. It was a very warm and semi-humid day and i tried a shemagh for the first time and i have to say i was fairly impressed with it. I tried doing the headwrap but it wasn't as effective at absorbing sweat like a boonie does (this is probably due to my inability to properly wrap it), so i just wrapped it around my neck. I noticed that it did a great job at absorbing sweat and keeping me cooler and drier than not wearing it. I have to say, the Arabs really have something there.

Just curious, how many people wear these things? What do you think of them?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just came back from a two day hiking trip to scout a big area for hunting this fall. It was a very warm and semi-humid day and i tried a shemagh for the first time and i have to say i was fairly impressed with it. I tried doing the headwrap but it wasn't as effective at absorbing sweat like a boonie does (this is probably due to my inability to properly wrap it), so i just wrapped it around my neck. I noticed that it did a great job at absorbing sweat and keeping me cooler and drier than not wearing it. I have to say, the Arabs really have something there.

Just curious, how many people wear these things? What do you think of them?
a lot of people used them in the survival class I took a week ago...

they work better when wet... the air going through the soaked cloth makes it cool to the touch.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Troops did same thing in vietnam with OD towel hanging around neck.

I think if I see a bunch of ******** around my BOL, I'll shoot first.
If they weren't bad guys, oops, my bad.
Yeah because a bunch of Arab terrorists will certainly consider your BOL a prime target. You're that important and such a thing is highly likely. Much more likely that the chances of murdering a bunch of innocent people.

Back on topic: I use a shemagh as a towel or a scarf usually. It works great on chilly summer nights. I also use it as part of a pillow or to cover my face when I sleep in a sleeping bag. I always have one when I travel, it's good for blocking out unwanted light among many other things.

Edited to add: They aren't great for cold or wet weather as they are usually 100% cotton.

·
Avid Indoorsman
443 Posts
The head wrap may be more due to religion or a lack of good hats.

Otherwise it's a bandanna like those used for centuries across Europe and into the Americas.

I'd like them because they look like they have a year round use.
Bandanna in the summer, neck scarf and head cover in the winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Troops did same thing in vietnam with OD towel hanging around neck.

I think if I see a bunch of ******** around my BOL, I'll shoot first.
If they weren't bad guys, oops, my bad.
Way to class up this thread. It's because of people with mentalities such as this that I don't wear one (even though I know the are useful). I don't need to worry about getting treated like a second class citizen for wearing a piece of cloth around my head.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.