Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a two day hiking trip to scout a big area for hunting this fall. It was a very warm and semi-humid day and i tried a shemagh for the first time and i have to say i was fairly impressed with it. I tried doing the headwrap but it wasn't as effective at absorbing sweat like a boonie does (this is probably due to my inability to properly wrap it), so i just wrapped it around my neck. I noticed that it did a great job at absorbing sweat and keeping me cooler and drier than not wearing it. I have to say, the Arabs really have something there.

Just curious, how many people wear these things? What do you think of them?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just came back from a two day hiking trip to scout a big area for hunting this fall. It was a very warm and semi-humid day and i tried a shemagh for the first time and i have to say i was fairly impressed with it. I tried doing the headwrap but it wasn't as effective at absorbing sweat like a boonie does (this is probably due to my inability to properly wrap it), so i just wrapped it around my neck. I noticed that it did a great job at absorbing sweat and keeping me cooler and drier than not wearing it. I have to say, the Arabs really have something there.

Just curious, how many people wear these things? What do you think of them?
a lot of people used them in the survival class I took a week ago...

they work better when wet... the air going through the soaked cloth makes it cool to the touch.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a lot of people used them in the survival class I took a week ago...

they work better when wet... the air going through the soaked cloth makes it cool to the touch.
i did notice it worked better the longer i wore it. I don't see them mentioned a whole lot on the forums.

·
Registered
353 Posts
They work great in winter also, even being cotton they block wind very good due to the layers and folds when wrapped. I've kept warm at 30ish knots in a boat and at 40mph on an ATV. ;)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Troops did same thing in vietnam with OD towel hanging around neck.

I think if I see a bunch of ******** around my BOL, I'll shoot first.
If they weren't bad guys, oops, my bad.
Yeah because a bunch of Arab terrorists will certainly consider your BOL a prime target. You're that important and such a thing is highly likely. Much more likely that the chances of murdering a bunch of innocent people.

Back on topic: I use a shemagh as a towel or a scarf usually. It works great on chilly summer nights. I also use it as part of a pillow or to cover my face when I sleep in a sleeping bag. I always have one when I travel, it's good for blocking out unwanted light among many other things.

Edited to add: They aren't great for cold or wet weather as they are usually 100% cotton.

·
Avid Indoorsman
443 Posts
The head wrap may be more due to religion or a lack of good hats.

Otherwise it's a bandanna like those used for centuries across Europe and into the Americas.

I'd like them because they look like they have a year round use.
Bandanna in the summer, neck scarf and head cover in the winter.

·
Registered
558 Posts

there ya go.

this can be any square of cloth....from silk to cotton, who cares.

people and thier sterotypes.....really classy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Troops did same thing in vietnam with OD towel hanging around neck.

I think if I see a bunch of ******** around my BOL, I'll shoot first.
If they weren't bad guys, oops, my bad.
Way to class up this thread. It's because of people with mentalities such as this that I don't wear one (even though I know the are useful). I don't need to worry about getting treated like a second class citizen for wearing a piece of cloth around my head.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts