Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondeing if anyone has any quick and easy shelter ideas?
I would love to add them to my reserve!! Thanks

21,428 Posts
I assume you mean out of nothing?

I saw some kids build one on youtube and will see if I can find it. They pretty much got a long branch stuck it in the fork of another tree and piled branches with leaves on it.

6 year old kids or something no knife,no rope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! I believe they call that a lean-to but I could be mistaken! if you could find the video I would love to watch!! again thanks!!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Old mountain man method. Go to a paint store and get a cotton drop cloth and a gallon of Thompson's Water Seal. Get bigger than you need and wash in hot water to shrink. Paint the cloth on each side and allow to dry. Repeat. To use get marbles or small stones and bunch one up in the corners and tie or just buy some grommets. Tie to a tree or branches or cut some poles to make a lean to. Or take a long pole and place it in a fork or branch of a tree and drape over. Google "lean to shelter" or "tarp shelter" for ideas on use. You can also dye it to subdued colors before water seal treatment. You can also use boiled linseed oil but it does not last as long. To make mine I just nailed it to the side of a shed and did one side at a time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!! I will hace to give that a try for sure!!
I'm also looking for shelters that would work well up in the rockies, Like stuff that you would have to make out of stuff around you. I have already learned how to make yucca leaves into cord which is very useful! and for the winter I know that I could dig my way into a nice snow pile. but I'm looking for something that I could use that would be hard to see unless you knew it was there. for like a post doomsday survival setting.

·
Blame Canada.
3,226 Posts
I assume you mean out of nothing?

I saw some kids build one on youtube and will see if I can find it. They pretty much got a long branch stuck it in the fork of another tree and piled branches with leaves on it.

6 year old kids or something no knife,no rope.
It does not get any better then that. Thinking as children do will give you a leg up on your out door skills. their way of not complicating things is just great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yurt!

for 9 pieces of plywood (or insulated board), you can build a rather nice yurt as a home. dig in about 2 feet and it is tall enough to stand in and cooler in the summer.

FWIW.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
A pile of leaves is the fastest shelter I've whipped up.
I have used this several times when no rain was forecast. Last deer hunt in Kentucky we had heavy frost and I was snug as a bug. My cousin was in a tent. The frost on the tent nearly collapsed it onto him. And he was cold. He was afraid of snakes. :eek:::eek:: Like it's 22 degrees out side!

·
Blame Canada.
3,226 Posts
A pile of leaves is the fastest shelter I've whipped up.
We used to do this when we played cowboys and Indians. I still hide in a pile of leaves and scare the crap out of the kids. If you are dry, you can stay quite warm snuggled up under a pile of leaves.

·
-
1,485 Posts
Get Ray Mears' book

Many practical examples there.

Also, Wildwood Wisdom by E. Jaeger. another classic with tons of different drawings of shelter setups.

I heard good things about Mors Kochanski Bushcraft books, but haven't had the chance to obtain it yet.

US army survival manual is OK too but too much filler info there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey, I was wondeing if anyone has any quick and easy shelter ideas?
I would love to add them to my reserve!! Thanks
I really like this one I seen. It's too bad I didn't book mark it. This guy used hard plastic sheets, bended them like a dome, to make a small tent structure out of them. He was explaining how it was nice because it provided a hard shell protection from animals, and was still roomy and light weight. I like the idea of those hard plastic sheets beause you could probably carry a dozen of them into the woods and build yourself one of these shelters.

·
Registered
141 Posts
a lean to is always an option. but cordage and a knife may be necessary. an A-frame design may also be used and may not take a whole lot of time. look them up if you are wondering which shelter is which.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I remembered another hunting trip. Elk in the high country. We had problems with one of the horses and got to our camp spot late. Instead of pitching the Baker we found a place where the deer or elk had bedded down under a spruce. It was nice and the snow never touched us. Remember the opening scene of Jeremiah Johnson? That is what he was under when the snow put out his fire. If he had been by the base of the tree that would not happen. So think like a animal. I also spent the night under a wild Texas Rose bush. It was about a hundred feet long and twenty feet wide. The area under was hollowed out. Had a rabbit or two come along and pester me. I think it was rabbits but no problems. Kept the wind off me just fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts