Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my family eat a whole lot of stuffed shell pasta we use the jumbo shells, and i'm wondering what may be the best way to store them long term without crushing or breaking them so that they hold the shape, kinda hard to get them to hold beans and venison when they are crumbs, as i have found out the hard way:( also any idea on how long they would last term wise would be very helpfull.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I put mine in glass jars, like empty coffee containers. Actually, I have to because here in Florida there are just too many bugs. Everything goes in a jar or bug-proof container here.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would think pack them lightly into some kind of coffee jar or something. Bags would get squished and bumped, but if a jar got bumped, only the jar would move. Hard plastic, glass, metal, something lie that.

We put all kinds of pasta in clear glass jars.. The only breakage we really get is from bringing it home from the store.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
My wife is hooked on the pretzels from Sam's Club. They come in big plastic jugs , about 2 gals.
The jugs are perfect for storeing pasta that tends to break. The elbow macaroni and that type we store in 5 gal buckets...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Pasta keeps a long time. My personal experience is limited to about 6 or 7 years stored in an ammo can- it was fine.

I have some other that is a little younger (5+ years) also fine after sitting in a plastic bucket. I packed the buckets in winter when the air is a bit drier than in the summer, but otherwise nothing special done.

This is regular pasta (wheat/water) not egg noodles. I don't know about egg noodles.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm sure you've thought about it, but the only pasta I'm storing is angel hair pasta. It takes up less space than shells, and requires less fuel since it cooks very quickly.
That's exactly my take on the subject.

But the others are right, if you love your shells that much some sort of solid container that doesn't have much give to it would be in order. i would put a liner in if i used any kind of metal though.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
One thing you may want to consider is making your own pasta. If you are buying grains you may want to have a usage for it other than bread making. There are pasta makers out there. Mine is quite old. My Mom gave it to me 25 years ago. I don't even know the brand. that way you can have fresh pasta when you want it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can use a small cardboard box (1/2 the size of your bag) filled with shells, then fill the blank space with more shells. The structure of the box will help prevent crushing when vacuum sealed and when stored in a tub or bucket.

Nom

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
You can use a small cardboard box (1/2 the size of your bag) filled with shells, then fill the blank space with more shells. The structure of the box will help prevent crushing when vacuum sealed and when stored in a tub or bucket.

Nom
That doesn't keep the bugs out.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What about a food grade 5 gallon bucket filled to the top with some Oxygen absorbers thrown in and close it with a Gamma seal lid?
No Mylar bag inside. If it stays fresh in cardboard the bucket should be fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure you've thought about it, but the only pasta I'm storing is angel hair pasta. It takes up less space than shells, and requires less fuel since it cooks very quickly.
that is very true and i have some angel hair and elbow stored, i was mainly thinking of how to best avoid breakage since we cant stuff them if they are broke:D: and they are just sort of a cheap meal the whole family likes sort of a comfort food i guess, just trying to figure how to store what we all like and eat regulary. I could eat bean soup with spam or bacon in it 3 times a week but if i serve that up in front of the family that many times i'm likely to be sleeping with the dogs shtf time or not:D:

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
My 'rents have a sealable container you push a button on top and it creates a vaccum, push in the center handle and it releases. it was clear with a green lid.

i think they got a 3 pack at Target.

T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts