Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Look at the above image. Now, someone please explain to me why is it that every time I see a "tacticool" shotgun with a shell carrier, the shells are staggered? Is this the "right" way of doing this, or is it to show off Mall-Nijuacity (Yes, I made up a new word...)? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I think it's more of a marketing thing showing that the shells can be inserted/removed from either direction...

I've seen the shells all up, all down, half and half like the picture and every second one the same direction--whatever works for you!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
231 Posts
You NEVER want to place shells like that. You WILL fumble with the shells when inserting them in a high stress situation. Human beings are very good with muscle memory (practice the same thing over and over with no deviation). When you put deviation like turning the shells before inserting them, you ARE going to cause more fumble.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I bought one of those for my 870, and it requires grinding off part of the pump/forearm. I didn't like that, but it was easily remedied by relocating and re-tapping the mounting holes to position it where I wanted it without modifying the gun.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The up shells are one type of ammunition, say slugs, and the down shells are another, say buckshot. If you train that way you're supposed to be able to grab the right shell by feel in the dark.
But training in grabbing the shells is much easier when they are all the same direction.

·
"Tango Down"
78 Posts
The up shells are one type of ammunition, say slugs, and the down shells are another, say buckshot. If you train that way you're supposed to be able to grab the right shell by feel in the dark.
He is right. On my Mossberg 500 Tactical, I have a 6 round side saddle like that one and also a 5 round saddle on my collapsible stock. If you don't have a side saddle on your shot gun you need to put one on. There not to expensive.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is right. On my Mossberg 500 Tactical, I have a 6 round side saddle like that one and also a 5 round saddle on my collapsible stock. If you don't have a side saddle on your shot gun you need to put one on. There not to expensive.
Well, then in your case (as is mine) you can put buckshot on one holder and slugs on the other. Picking and choosing whichever one you need would be easier than staggering them in one holder.

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
It all comes down to training. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine. I have 5 down and one up on my sidesaddle. The one up is to pull out and load directly into the chamber......while the other ones are to be pulled down and inserted into the magazine tube without taking the shotty of my shoulder. Its fast and it works.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Well, I've also seen two up, two down and two more up...I've seen every second one either up or down (staggered)...

In the first case the first two were bean bags, the second two were tear gas or something else and the last two were buckshot and the magazine was loaded with slugs...

No matter which way they are facing, except parallel to the ground, they will have to be turned somewhat to insert into either the chamber or magazine...

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My shotty is loaded with 5 buckshot in the tube, and a slug on the end. Nothing chambered. The shell carrier holds 6 slugs,with the primer down. Being left handed, I can simply grab a shell with my right hand and pull it down and quickly slide it into the mag tube. The buttstock holds 6 buckshot, primers up on the left side. This means I have to reach over the buttstock to grab one, but it also means I can maintain coverage on a target at the same time (if I had to reach under the stock, I would need to raise the muzzle end slightly).

As stated, it all depends on how you train. I strongly recommend trying different methods and finding one that is the most comfortable and be sure to load the weapon in he same manner every time.

I suppose the staggered shells do have their uses, but I just can't seem to do it with a tactical reload (meaning, I want the tube filled as quickly as possible).

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
Same direction simplifies things, some think you need to do this for different loads or lengths like the pic. I just put the slugs to the rear. I also run a butt cuff to hold another 5 or 6 rounds too. I like to have all the rounds I can get on the gun so If I get up in middle of the night in my "hochie min" flip flops I have the ammo I need to run the gun. Quote from a friend http://www.thunderranchinc.com/ Check out Clint and his videos too!

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same direction simplifies things, some think you need to do this for different loads or lengths like the pic. I just put the slugs to the rear. I also run a butt cuff to hold another 5 or 6 rounds too. I like to have all the rounds I can get on the gun so If I get up in middle of the night in my "hochie min" flip flops I have the ammo I need to run the gun. Quote from a friend http://www.thunderranchinc.com/ Check out Clint and his videos too!
Well, I don't really see the application of a shell holder for a home defense shotgun. At the minimum a good pump or semi will have 5 shots in the tube. I would hope that I would never have to push more than 5 shots in a HD situation. IMHO, the only upgrade needed for a HD shotgun would be a good flashlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts